DIAD 4?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
No wait, no hassle, just put it in alpha at the beginning of the day and hold the toggle down for numbers, no wait for it to switch back and forth. Your brain is already programmed to remember a billion thing, Just remember to push the toggle and hold down for numbers, and up for alpha, lots easier. Except on pick up, to go from pick up to delivery ya gotta change it back. Like said before the other way workks too if you do metro where strets are numbers instead of names. You will get it, I feel it eliminated 20 minutes from my day, not that I care about numbers, I care about the frustration of pushing a million keys and getting that dreaded bbbbeeeppp. And I like to get home. You need two hands either way, let your fingers do the work. I find myself having to stop and concentrate at times, but after a month or two, you will do it in the dark, you will have to....its that time of year.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Probably because you were trained the same way we were Tooner. We got to work Monday morning and instead of DIAD 3, there were DIAD 4's. No warning ......... no training. Just a couple of pages stapled together that I never looked at because we were already 30 minutes late leaving the building. Then management can't understand why we are always in a bad mood.
Exactly, but did you ever have a sup with you who just throws it down and says, how the heck do you do this all day? And thats just the diad.....They cant even figure how to put in their codes corectly, they have even less training, My sup says I have less problem than most who MF the board all day, I told him I was trained by someone who knew what they were doing, on line assistant, he still dont know, HA

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Actually, I've been through 4 diads in the last 2 years. For some reason, they just stop working...

They bounce pretty good! I've been through a few of them too, not sure how many, I don't keep count of such things. They are a lot tougher than the first two versions though.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I also used this tip a while back, it may have been you that originally mentioned it on another thread. It is soooooooooooooooo much easier. Only during pick up you may have to hit the escape key a few times, but it sure makes those unscannables so much faster. It takes a while to get used to but its better than toggle, toggle, toggle , ......aaaalll daayyy Lonnnggggggggggggggg. Wonder why we were never taught that way?

Things that make you go HHHMMMMM?

gbpbacker

You are doing pretty good with getting 6 months out of a DIAD4. My DIAD4 never lasts more than 4 months before the battery won't last the day!

What are they planning on doing once peak gets here? My battery went dead yesterday after about 9.5 hrs, had 2 resi stops left, i had to reboot and DR them really fast. And when i got back to the building there was another driver in the office entering in his last 20 stops that he had to sheet on paper because his battery also died.

Or are they going to give us 2 diads, one on each side of our waist? They would then expect us to get done in 1/2 the time because we have 2 boards.
This is not going to be a good peak, diad problems, miss routes, loaders that have NO training, incompetent sups, bad weather, I cant wait:crying:

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
Rumor has it that were getting new DIAD's in a couple of weeks. I'm going to have to carry a stick since it sounds like the DIAD 4 isn't big enough to ward off angry dogs.

upsgrunt

What are they planning on doing once peak gets here? My battery went dead yesterday after about 9.5 hrs, had 2 resi stops left, i had to reboot and DR them really fast. And when i got back to the building there was another driver in the office entering in his last 20 stops that he had to sheet on paper because his battery also died.

Or are they going to give us 2 diads, one on each side of our waist? They would then expect us to get done in 1/2 the time because we have 2 boards.
This is not going to be a good peak, diad problems, miss routes, loaders that have NO training, incompetent sups, bad weather, I cant wait:crying:

Why in the world would they ever go away from the DVA that charged the diads during the day as you worked? We were told that the batteries could last 2 days without recharging. Here it is August and September and we can't even get 12 hours out of them. Last February, when it got really cold, we even had to put them over the heaters to get a full day out of them. I agree- I've got a bad feeling about this Christmas; UPS will claim that it "snuck up on them again", like the date or even month has changed in the last 2000 years! If I get 63 hours at the end of August, how many will it be the week before Christmas?

Fishbulb

DIAD 4 = biggest piece of crap ever. We have at least 2 die every day before the workday even starts. Batterly life is about 9 hours and some of the more beat up ones that dont fit in the slot properly only last a couple of hours. It dies when its too hot or too cold outside, it freezes up for no reason, if you have a bulk stop with more than 99 pieces it only shows "##" instead of the piece count, the gps system goes down on a weekly basis resulting in that annoying sound that means you're out of area even in you're right in front of the delivery stop. Someone needs to tell UPS not to invest in technology thats made in Mexico

abrahm12

a newbie here to pkg delvry, 1S, 1S+ etc sat only. would like training material on diad4, none give out during class- only one day CBT course. any info would help?

bad company

semi-pro
a newbie here to pkg delvry, 1S, 1S+ etc sat only. would like training material on diad4, none give out during class- only one day CBT course. any info would help?

There is a cd available from HR that contains a training program for DIAD 4. Ask your local HR rep for a copy.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member

Last peak my 4 didn't fail but my helper had a DIAD3 and he delivered over 1/2 the stops in it. We were told to not punch out the helpers diad in case the 4 failed.

15YtoGo

Why in the world would they ever go away from the DVA that charged the diads during the day as you worked? We were told that the batteries could last 2 days without recharging. Here it is August and September and we can't even get 12 hours out of them. Last February, when it got really cold, we even had to put them over the heaters to get a full day out of them. I agree- I've got a bad feeling about this Christmas; UPS will claim that it "snuck up on them again", like the date or even month has changed in the last 2000 years! If I get 63 hours at the end of August, how many will it be the week before Christmas?

This is a common misconception. In reality, the DVA did nothing to charge the DIAD II or III. It simply provided communications for the DIAD II and an alternate form of communication for the DIAD III if you were out of radio coverage.

T

tribefan83

Ask your sup if they have cleaning stuff for the charging contacts on both the DIAD and the rack... supposedly helps the battery get a full charge overnight.

browned_out

:lol: After reading all the posts, its starting to sound alot like a copy of Microsoft Windows/Vista. I guess Ups has taken the approach of releasing the product and figuring out the bugs later.