DIAD 5

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
One good improvement would be to make the signature screen bigger. I have a ton of ppl who can t seem to sign next to the X, instead they try to sign inbetween the lines below the X. And also those same ppl seem to always hit the signature key once they grab the diad out of your hand, then i have to go and reset it. Big pain in the butt after its happened for the 10th time
Especially the older folks. Not only can they not sign it they can't see it.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
To add to the signature screen, besides larger,
the screen should just blackout all areas but the signature area
we too have this problem at FedEx... people don't know where to sign.

Then we can say sign in the BOX...
I think this is an outstanding idea!

pretzel_man

I agree.....BUT how much of this just proves 4 as an absolute failure that it couldn't hold up better with just software upgrades?

New Englander:

The 4 is not being replaced because it was a failure. In fact, the DIAD 4 was the first device of its kind. It has a cellular radio, GPS, 802.11, Bluetooth, IrDa, etc.

It was the first device to incorporate all those features.

All hardware reaches a life expectancy, and the DIAD 4 will begin reaching its in 2010 or 2011.

Electronic parts get obsolete and have to be replaced. You can't buy the parts any more. DIAD 5 will be replaced 5 or 6 years after its introduced. This is by plan.

I'm glad that someone in Corporate plans that far ahead.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Or they don't give a rats :censored2: :wink2:
Actually I was being serious. There are many seniors who really can't see or write lwell enough to sign the diad. A bigger screen would help by leaps and bounds.

There are those that don't give a rrats fuzzy :censored2: about what or where they sign but they are far and few between.

New Englander

New Englander:

The 4 is not being replaced because it was a failure. In fact, the DIAD 4 was the first device of its kind. It has a cellular radio, GPS, 802.11, Bluetooth, IrDa, etc.

It was the first device to incorporate all those features.

All hardware reaches a life expectancy, and the DIAD 4 will begin reaching its in 2010 or 2011.

Electronic parts get obsolete and have to be replaced. You can't buy the parts any more. DIAD 5 will be replaced 5 or 6 years after its introduced. This is by plan.

I'm glad that someone in Corporate plans that far ahead.

P-Man

I still have not heard a single reason WHY the boards need to go back to zero every time.

Obsolete? Hmm.....I saw countless Diad 3's working perfectly this peak.

Seems to me to be silly to absolutely redesign the entire diad again and not just do some tweaks on the current one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

NE, my helper would use 3 and I would use 4 95% of the time but I would let him use 4 and I would use 3 and, yes, 3 may have worked perfectly well, but, compared to 4, it was like comparing a Yugo and a BMW.

pretzel_man

I still have not heard a single reason WHY the boards need to go back to zero every time.

Obsolete? Hmm.....I saw countless Diad 3's working perfectly this peak.

Seems to me to be silly to absolutely redesign the entire diad again and not just do some tweaks on the current one.
I don't know what you mean go back to zero.

DIAD 3's are used for 3 weeks a year (during peak). When they break, they are thrown away (generally). Parts are not available.

DIAD 4's are under warranty. There is a limit to how long they will work every day. They will need to be replaced just like the 3's.

P-Man

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't know what you mean go back to zero.

DIAD 3's are used for 3 weeks a year (during peak). When they break, they are thrown away (generally). Parts are not available.

DIAD 4's are under warranty. There is a limit to how long they will work every day. They will need to be replaced just like the 3's.

P-Man
We had 3's go down all the time (pre diad 4). They'd have to bring us out another one. It only stands to reason that eventually the 4's will start going down too. It's progress in a way. Necessity is the mother of invention.

New Englander

We had 3's go down all the time (pre diad 4). They'd have to bring us out another one. It only stands to reason that eventually the 4's will start going down too. It's progress in a way. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I've never heard of us losing a 3. Though 2 4's went down last week.

P-Man, completely redesigned. Parts would not be obsolete if UPS decided we were still going to use 4. They would still be available.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I've never heard of us losing a 3. Though 2 4's went down last week.

P-Man, completely redesigned. Parts would not be obsolete if UPS decided we were still going to use 4. They would still be available.

NE, I bet you still have a VCR, don't you? j/k

Planned obsolence. Designing a product with a known life span.

I can only assume that shortly after DIAD 1 was put in use they were already planning 2 and when 2 was put in use they were already planning 3 and so on.

govols019

You smell that?
I'd rather have a DIAD II versus a III. God, how I hated those things. The only redeeming quality of a III was the little red light.

sano

New England, its called progress. Technology moves on. The company that doesn't move with technology is left behind. History is not kind to the Luddites.

New Englander

NE, I bet you still have a VCR, don't you? j/k

Planned obsolence. Designing a product with a known life span.

I can only assume that shortly after DIAD 1 was put in use they were already planning 2 and when 2 was put in use they were already planning 3 and so on.

Well.....diad 5 is coming out and there are functions of diad 4 that were never used.

At some point you have to wonder when the cost of redesign of it is higher then the benefit of actually using it over the past version.

Cementups

Box Monkey
As for communicating between drivers, I was told that Diad 4 is capable of communicating Diad to Diad, but big brother won't turn that function on. They prefer to be the middle man in our doings on the road. Plus they don't want it to turn into causl chat on the road, like making gol friend dates and such.

pretzel_man

Boy, I sure wish that were true... Unfortunately its not.

Did you ever have a cell phone break? Parts are not available for old technology.

As cheap as UPS is, why would the management committee spend $200 million for new DIAD's if the old ones could be kept alive?

P-Man

New Englander

Boy, I sure wish that were true... Unfortunately its not.

Did you ever have a cell phone break? Parts are not available for old technology.

As cheap as UPS is, why would the management committee spend $200 million for new DIAD's if the old ones could be kept alive?

P-Man

P-Man, why at the operational level does UPS spend a buck to save a nickel? Your never going to get us grunts to agree to that. We deal with that daily. The ultimate goal is stops per car. NOT as efficiently and cost effectively as possible.

If there's a demand for something there will always be a supplier there to make a buck.