Diad survey on UPSer.com

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I took the survery at home on my own computer. All you have to do is log on to UPSers.com and take the survery.

After reading several posts regarding credit/debit cards, I do agree that paying for CODs with plastic should not be necessary as these can be used at the time of order. However, having said that, I do see UPS accepting plastic as a form of payment in the (near) future and the DIADs would have to be configured to accept this form of payment. I would think that a convenience fee/surcharge would be added for using plastic. The consignee would pay for all CODs with one credit card charge and UPS would then EFT payment to each shipper. Corporate credit cards usually have a rewards program associated with them so consignees would earn points based upon purchases.

Now, I never said that I would be looking forward to this change, if it even occurs. The time it would take to process the transaction should be about the same time that it takes to write a check(s) but, if the card is not accepted or the system is down/slow, then it would certainly slow the process.

The point of this thread was DIAD suggestions and this was just one of several suggested improvements to keep up with an ever-changing business world.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I took the survey from my home computer. When I got done, I did get the screen asking for a RSU Token, which is permission to log onto the internet from the UPS internal network. But after that, I got a screen that thanked me for taking it, so the survey went through. It wouldn't be offered on UPSers.com if we couldn't do it at home.

Last edited:
I know for a fact that I like the older DIAD, not sure exactly what version it was, I guess it was DIAD3. This year as a helper, I found the current DIAD somewhat cumbersome and had trouble with the signature button as someone else mentioned. When I was a driver helper in 2002, the DIAD at that time was bigger and bulkier, but had really easy buttons to read and the signature button was bright green and you just pushed that to get the signature line up. To get a sig on the DIAD4 is the signature button, plus the right arrow I believe right? I used it a few times but forgot.

satellitedriver

Took the survey.
As I was answering the questions, this simple thought came to mind.
Ain't it great that I don't have to try and write on wet paper anymore.
I hope the DIADs improve in usability, but what I've got now is a vast improvement over paper.
PAX

BigBrownSanta

What is the top 5 things you don't like about the DIAD 4?
My number 1 thing I don't like about the diad 4 is the signature key position.

Something I would like to see added to the diad is a "response required" option when I send a message to the center.

Another thing I would like to see is a prompt that lets you know if you scan a package that is not in your EDD. Currently, if you scan a misload and it's not the first package scanned for that stop, then the diad will just add it to the delivery. This can lead to misdeliveries. The diad should prompt you to verify the address like it does when you accidentally scan a wrong package.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I took the survey last friday. I suggested that the battery be better , the keys made larger, and the unit be larger too. ( I need something solid to swing at some of those " he's friendly " pets )

DiadDude

I took the survey last friday. I suggested that the battery be better , the keys made larger, and the unit be larger too. ( I need something solid to swing at some of those " he's friendly " pets )

Are you still having battery issues with the DIAD 4? A change was put in place during peak which was expected to address those. Is this still a current problem for anyone?

upsdude

Are you still having battery issues with the DIAD 4? A change was put in place during peak which was expected to address those. Is this still a current problem for anyone?

Mine is out of the rack about 10 hours a day, 150-160 stops, 250-300 pcs, 4-6 ODS messages. By end of work I have lots of battery power showing on the scale. Sounds like the constant back light was causing the problem.

upsdude

Just a couple more.

Battery alert at 50% instead of 20%. Maybe the diad would automatically send a message to the center when a battery alert comes up.

Off for cleaning button. Would allow you to rub the keys and case without using battery power. Scan keys get really dirty, every time you touch them the diad tries to scan.

Add additional options for replies to center. Busy, will reply promptly. On the way, traffic delay. Or allow all incoming messages to be pre-recorded until you complete a stop.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Yes battery is a pain. WE have been cleaning those connections for months, yet they keep failing. Everyday someone has to run a board out somewhere. Its a pain having to leave your work site ( clerical, customer counter, air driver) to do it { while no one covers your work }.

upsdude

Yes battery is a pain. WE have been cleaning those connections for months, yet they keep failing. Everyday someone has to run a board out somewhere. Its a pain having to leave your work site ( clerical, customer counter, air driver) to do it { while no one covers your work }.

I wonder if the group was PCM'd on how to turn off the back light? I have to say that since the change was made (being able to control the back light) battery problems went away.

DiadDude

Mine is out of the rack about 10 hours a day, 150-160 stops, 250-300 pcs, 4-6 ODS messages. By end of work I have lots of battery power showing on the scale. Sounds like the constant back light was causing the problem.

The keylight change was put out before peak and did recover a small percentage of battery power. There was also an upgrade just after Thanksgiving that was expected to have a major impact on battery life. Hopefully that change has been beneficial.

Dude I don't what change you are referring to but it seems to me the amount of time the display stays on is shorter that before Tday. At our center the back light is defaulted to off. I don't remember how to turn it on so I just you my handy little cap light to see with.

Griff

Am I the only one who wants a stop count meter on the front screen? I find it retarded that we have to manually count off by 8's to respond to the everyday stupid message of "how many done, how much left, eta to building". If it simply said "86/165" on the front screen it would be a lot easier to just do the math.

Also some form of flashlight or bright LED light to illuminate the ground. Someone said the DIAD2 had this, I've only been around long enough for 3 and 4. I sometimes just use the backlight of the 4 for this, but its not quite bright enough.

I just took the survey from home - don't know what they mean that you have to take it from a UPS computer. I hope they listen to the comments...sure would be nice for those of us who use DIAD everyday to make suggestions that actually will be used.

under the radar

A Trained Professional
I still find it shocking that the DIAD4 made it to release. It's as if it was never tested in the battlefield before they made hundreds of thousands of them and sent them off to buildings. The entire design was a complete step backward from the DIAD3, especially the keypad. The only real plus to the 4 is the really bright screen and much easier to read font. Other than that I can't really say anything positive, I could go on forever about its flaws. The most annoying one by far is the location of the signature button, customers constantly hit it with their thumb and knock themselves out of the signature screen.

Has anyone seen the FedEx one up and close? I've only seen it from afar and I have to say that it looks pretty nice. It looks about 1/5th of the size of our DIAD, very streamlined and sleek.

We've been on DIAD 4 for many moons and even with the flaws, when peak comes around and they roll out the DIAD 3 for helper boards it's like stepping back into the stone age.