Who works harder than us?

bumped

While it's hard work, it has continually gotten easier over the years through tech and how much nicer the package cars are.

Newer guys have no idea how huge of a difference a 2023 package car vs a 1985 package car is. Before that it was even way worse. A time when shelves were made of wood and you would get splinters by simply grabbing a package. When the PC's had no power steering, a high step, manual keys you had to switch from ignition to door at every stop, and a crude 4 speed gear box, and a flat seat with a half back rest made the driving portion of the job just as hard has a 250 piece pickup. Now driving is the break between the actual "work". Now we have fans and in the future, AC to come.

From a tech standpoint, today's DIAD coupled with stop by stop nav eliminates a large portion of the thinking previously required. Stops on paper and scrambling with tiny print paper maps added a whole other level of stress particularly when you didn't know the route.

Not to mention much more comfortable uniforms. It was torture wearing those no flex, polyester shirts in the summer heat. There was also a time when shorts weren't allowed.

Not trying to sugar coat the job but if we're being honest, it's simply way easier than it used to be and there's many jobs that are harder.
We used to have fans. Sometime in the 2000's they were taken out of every package car. Maybe there was a fire one time somewhere in the world. Who knows why.

As explained the previous generation to me fought for a lower step, power steering, and an automatic transmission like we fought for AC for the future generation.

Today's technology with the EDD keeps us from sorting as much in the cargo area. Knowing how many pieces, and when to look no further for a particular stop saves us a lot of time, That time saved goes to more delivery stops. Don't ever think that UPS comes up with technology to get you home faster. It's for more stops.

Today's tech helps the drivers going out blind or with limited area knowledge greatly. When I would go out blind with my map in hand it was usually here is your package car and your DIAD. I would ask what's my first stop and how do I get there.

I only had to load 1 PC with wood shelves, and wood bulkhead door. The problem with that car was the padlock welded to the bulkhead door. I hit my head on that a few times. I also smacked my head on the P5 with the shorter rear barn doors.

Brownisbrown

UPS EMPLOYEE
Its hard work all of it, never got to drive thoguh. I think unloading is really fun if you get to it. I would always lol whenever we would unload boxes containing insects and some bozo would drop the box causing creepy critters to flood his trailer. So many people would freak out from that

BrownSnowFlake

I used to wash out tanker trailers that hauled Hershey chocolate. The inside of the trailer was easily 140 degrees. We also had to take apart the pumps and clean them. They were made out of die-cast aluminum and the pump housing weighed 40 lbs. For my efforts I received a measly $12 / hour and crappy benefits.

34yearpackagehumper

While it's hard work, it has continually gotten easier over the years through tech and how much nicer the package cars are.

Newer guys have no idea how huge of a difference a 2023 package car vs a 1985 package car is. Before that it was even way worse. A time when shelves were made of wood and you would get splinters by simply grabbing a package. When the PC's had no power steering, a high step, manual keys you had to switch from ignition to door at every stop, and a crude 4 speed gear box, and a flat seat with a half back rest made the driving portion of the job just as hard has a 250 piece pickup. Now driving is the break between the actual "work". Now we have fans and in the future, AC to come.

From a tech standpoint, today's DIAD coupled with stop by stop nav eliminates a large portion of the thinking previously required. Stops on paper and scrambling with tiny print paper maps added a whole other level of stress particularly when you didn't know the route.

Not to mention much more comfortable uniforms. It was torture wearing those no flex, polyester shirts in the summer heat. There was also a time when shorts weren't allowed.

Not trying to sugar coat the job but if we're being honest, it's simply way easier than it used to be and there's many jobs that are harder.
You are right take it from me a 1985 package car brings back a lot of memories for me. Your butt would literally come up out of the seat trying to make sudden turns . Looking back I laugh at those days but it was hardly funny then .