Did not recieve paycheck, and now job is threatened.

SFBayUPSer

Another update, my union rep from the local office called and said he would look into it, but that it was a bad idea not to show up to work. I let him know the same thing I just told all the rest of you. He said he would call the labor relations guy, but not to keep my fingers crossed as I was still a non seniority employee and they can terminate me for WHATEVER reason they want.

Let them fire me I guess, I'll just sue them. He said to show up tomorrow if I can, and if they send me home, thats their problem.

drewed

Shankman
What would your grounds be for suing?
The only thing you could sue for is services rendered and any penalty via the contract but thats its.

evilleace

SF I am sorry you have to put up with this just because you want to get to work and can't but the union should be helping you more and in my opinion your building needs a new steward yours sounds like she is clueless.

SFBayUPSer

Im sure I could sue them for something if they chose to fire me over not comming to work after I was not paid. It would be something I'd have to have an attorney look into. (A joke of course, because I couldn't afford an attorney right now) :)

evilleace

We have a free legal aid office in my town for those who can not afford legal counsel check into it I am sure your town has something similar.

drewed

Shankman
Im sure I could sue them for something if they chose to fire me over not comming to work after I was not paid. It would be something I'd have to have an attorney look into. (A joke of course, because I couldn't afford an attorney right now) :)

did you read all the paperwork you signged when hired? job termination without cause is coverved in some of the paperwork. **** happens happens as i just posted in another thread pull up your big boy drawers, youll get your money just be persistant and push your hall and steward to do something. have you tried talking to your HR people? maybe if employees didnt have the thought of lawsuit over stupid little things wed have our turkeys! give me turkey or give me death!

Last edited:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I hope things work out because the company caused you this problem. That being said, buy some bologna and a loaf of bread and put the $20 you spend a week in vending machines in your sock drawer for an emergency like this. I know you live in a costly area but come on.

New Englander

I find it REALLY hard to believe you can't "borrow" gas money from someone. In all honesty, no family, friends, co-workers etc.......
Go find a new job closer to home. How is your situation going to be any different next week when you have not worked in how many days?

You don't get denied from the cash advance places unless you never paid them back on time before. Or you are trying to double dip from different companies.

drewed

Shankman
Very true NE and BM 20 dollars a week is a bit much to pay into the vending machine, arrowhead sales 1.5 liter bottles of water buy one of those fill it up at home and work everyweek go to the grocery store and buy some granola bars and eat before and after your shift......
Is UPS your only job? bc 25 miles to drive one way for 8.50 an hr is a bit much......especialy if you dont have a 2nd job at that end of it....

New Englander

He mentioned he had a night job in one of his post's.

Though I do stand by my post. Time to find a part time job closer to home - especially if you can't bum gas money off someone.

Sure UPS screwed up the check but come on! If your in your probationary period get some responsibility and get to work - ESPECIALLY DURING PEAK!

rod

Retired 22 years
If your like every other young person I know now days you have every fancy electronic game and contraption that comes along. Take your x-box or game boys or cd players to the local pawn shop and get a loan on them. If you look around there are always ways to make a couple of bucks for gas money. :peaceful:

I cant believe UPS didnt want that language changed in the new contract UPS works 7 days a week, payroll doesnt....

But on the side note...I think youre steward should have stepped up a little more then just go to the hall they will deal with it.
This man would not even be going through this if UPS management had done their job, period..end of story. To lay this off on the union steward is nothing less than passing the buck, the steward should no have ever been involved if management had done their job. The sup should have made certain he would get his check as soon as possible or offered him a loan until the check came in. IT is call responsibility and the COMPANY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS PROBLEM. To threaten his job because the company messed up is utterly ridiculous.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
If your like every other young person I know now days you have every fancy electronic game and contraption that comes along. Take your x-box or game boys or cd players to the local pawn shop and get a loan on them. If you look around there are always ways to make a couple of bucks for gas money. :peaceful:
no one could of put it better than that Rod!!!!!

SFBayUPSer

Some of you sound like a bunch of jerk off's right now. Im not sitting around playing Xbox and no I don't have anyone to go borrow money from. Don't you guys think if I had money to borrow from someone I would do it? Like im a maroon or something. Sorry that I live paycheck to paycheck supporting my daughter and that when I don't get paid I can't commute to work or pay for childcare. I APPLIED to work at the CONCORD CALIFORNIA UPS, 3 blocks from my house, but they said I could not work there, Richmond is the closest. I think its fair to say when one works one should be compensated correctly and in a timely manner.

Heres the rest of the story.... I went in today, my wife gave me a ride in her car before she went to work. My car STILL sits in the driveway with no gas in it. Yes I work a night job, that I take my wife's car to if gas is tight as her car gets better gas mileage. So anyways, today I go into work and the day sort manager says to me, "I lost your pay stub you gave me, can you print another one out for me and I'll get right on it? " Im like.... are you joking me? I printed her another one and she made a few calls. She said they would put it in the house mail and if it was not there tomorrow she would have them cancel it, reprint a check and overnight mail it to us. Fine so I'll have a paper check tomorrow or Thursday.

Now my next issue is, why wasn't my check deposited into my account & whats going to happen THIS week. Same issue?

Because I'll tell you, if its the same response to the same issue, Im done.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
They screwed up your direct deposit. All it takes is someone in payroll to push a few buttons, and you have another one there within minutes. A no brainer.

That being said, they screwed it up. You notified them in a prompt manner. They lost the info, and waited until you got back to them. Now they are actually beginning to do something about it? You shoulda had the check today.

So file. You are due the time under the contract.

As far as a suit, you really dont have anything to sue over. It was a book keeping mistake. They happen. What does not happen normally is that the sups that fix these issues drop the ball and dont get their fat behinds in gear to get you your money.

As for the stupid suggestions that you pawn stuff to get gas money, if you were still going to be there after the first of the year, maybe. But with what they charge to get your stuff back, and no more than what they would give you to begin with, it would not make much sense.

What you do need to do is get into setting aside some rainy day money. Hard to do, but worth the effort.

d

Dude, ask your manager for the phone # to your district's friend&A dept. They handle this stuff and you will get much better results dealing with them directly. They can fix your direct deposit and they can get you your money. Make sure you call during regular business hours as I believe they don't work past 4 or 5pm. Your manager is the middleman, which only slows everything down.

drewed

Shankman
Direct deposits can be stopped at both ends, your bank may have stopped from recieving it, and like danny said you could elect to have the money dd into you account on the messup. or occasionally switching servers doing upgrades and whatnot you account info sometimes does get deleted id check on upsers to see if its still correct.

And Rod I agree with you, the managment team should have stepped up but the steward in that case is supposed to help his members and in this case he didnt so its not really passing the back its saying this guy needs a new steward bc hes not doing much better then his management team.

New Englander

Some of you sound like a bunch of jerk off's right now. Im not sitting around playing Xbox and no I don't have anyone to go borrow money from. Don't you guys think if I had money to borrow from someone I would do it? Like im a maroon or something. Sorry that I live paycheck to paycheck supporting my daughter and that when I don't get paid I can't commute to work or pay for childcare. I APPLIED to work at the CONCORD CALIFORNIA UPS, 3 blocks from my house, but they said I could not work there, Richmond is the closest. I think its fair to say when one works one should be compensated correctly and in a timely manner.

Heres the rest of the story.... I went in today, my wife gave me a ride in her car before she went to work. My car STILL sits in the driveway with no gas in it. Yes I work a night job, that I take my wife's car to if gas is tight as her car gets better gas mileage. So anyways, today I go into work and the day sort manager says to me, "I lost your pay stub you gave me, can you print another one out for me and I'll get right on it? " Im like.... are you joking me? I printed her another one and she made a few calls. She said they would put it in the house mail and if it was not there tomorrow she would have them cancel it, reprint a check and overnight mail it to us. Fine so I'll have a paper check tomorrow or Thursday.

Now my next issue is, why wasn't my check deposited into my account & whats going to happen THIS week. Same issue?

Because I'll tell you, if its the same response to the same issue, Im done.

How is it going to be any different? You havn't worked all week have you?

Sorry we upset you but we are all big boys and girls here. We all have our own troubles and problems. UPS has screwed my paycheck up numerous times.

Especially when I was in progression or during layoffs - YET I still found a way to work.

What on earth are you going to do if one of your cars breaks down? Call in again? Perhaps I'm wrong but you don't seem all that responsible.