Did not recieve paycheck, and now job is threatened.

It seems that there are 2 issues here: The guy is having trouble getting his check (through no fault of his own), and that he is out of money right now (as many folks are).

I think that there have been a few nice suggestions on a course of action for the first issue, but IMHO the suggestions concerning the second have tended to be less helpful, and to call someone irresponsible without being in their shoes or knowing their situation is just plain wrong, and judgemental on your part, to be honest.

If I was working with this gentleman, and I knew of his situation, I would like to think that I might try to slide him some a $20 for gas money to get him over the hump. It is really sad that no one in his work area has done that.

Folks, it is tough out there. Many of you who are long-time UPS men & women might not be aware of how tough it is, especially when you have mouths to feed and are trying to make ends meet in the the worst economy we have seen in many, many years. How many of you have to work multiple jobs?

I challenge anyone out here in the BC blogosphere who feels the need to judge folks, to try to have a little more compassion for your fellow man or woman who might not be as financially blessed as you are.

Just my 2 cents worth. I'm no angel, but passing judgement is really only for The Big Guy to do.

Peace Out, Rod

New Englander

It seems that there are 2 issues here: The guy is having trouble getting his check (through no fault of his own), and that he is out of money right now (as many folks are).

I think that there have been a few nice suggestions on a course of action for the first issue, but IMHO the suggestions concerning the second have tended to be less helpful, and to call someone irresponsible without being in their shoes or knowing their situation is just plain wrong, and judgemental on your part, to be honest.

If I was working with this gentleman, and I knew of his situation, I would like to think that I might try to slide him some a $20 for gas money to get him over the hump. It is really sad that no one in his work area has done that.

Folks, it is tough out there. Many of you who are long-time UPS men & women might not be aware of how tough it is, especially when you have mouths to feed and are trying to make ends meet in the the worst economy we have seen in many, many years. How many of you have to work multiple jobs?

I challenge anyone out here in the BC blogosphere who feels the need to judge folks, to try to have a little more compassion for your fellow man or woman who might not be as financially blessed as you are.

Just my 2 cents worth. I'm no angel, but passing judgement is really only for The Big Guy to do.

Peace Out, Rod

Give me a break. If you have mouths to feed and responsibilities. You damn well make sure you can find a way to work and NOT keep calling in and causing more hardship down the line.

I respect that point. We have to do what we have to do, in order to meet our responsibilities and care for our loved ones. I just don't see how being flat broke necessarily equates to being irresponsible.

In all honesty, from your comments and overall tone towards this guy, from my end it appears that you do not feel any compassion for his situation. I could be wrong about that. Either way, you have that right, to be compassionate or not.

Peace out, Rod

New Englander

I respect that point. We have to do what we have to do, in order to meet our responsibilities and care for our loved ones. I just don't see how being flat broke necessarily equates to being irresponsible.

In all honesty, from your comments and overall tone towards this guy, from my end it appears that you do not feel any compassion for his situation. I could be wrong about that. Either way, you have that right, to be compassionate or not.

Peace out, Rod

You are correct. I do feel absolutely no compassion for the guy. I have two kids myself. Was a seasonal who was subject to true layoffs then a progression driver who was subject to UPS layoffs.

17 hours a week at a part time rate on my layoff weeks - you go tell your family that for the next 3 weeks you'll be making $9.50 an hour and getting if your lucky 20 hours a week.

I was not a part-timer who went full-time so I didn't understand any of that prior.

I made damn well sure I was at work. That was MY responsibility to my family.

So I don't want to hear this crap about how his check got screwed up and because of it he couldn't get to work. In all honesty he isn't working(calling in) so how in the hell is he ever going to get gas money to get back to work?

At some point he needs a reality check. Stop feeding $20 a week in vending machines and put that money away so he doesn't cause his family any more hardship!

McLeod

You are correct. I do feel absolutely no compassion for the guy. I have two kids myself. Was a seasonal who was subject to true layoffs then a progression driver who was subject to UPS layoffs.

17 hours a week at a part time rate on my layoff weeks - you go tell your family that for the next 3 weeks you'll be making $9.50 an hour and getting if your lucky 20 hours a week.

I was not a part-timer who went full-time so I didn't understand any of that prior.

I made damn well sure I was at work. That was MY responsibility to my family.

So I don't want to hear this crap about how his check got screwed up and because of it he couldn't get to work. In all honesty he isn't working(calling in) so how in the hell is he ever going to get gas money to get back to work?

At some point he needs a reality check. Stop feeding $20 a week in vending machines and put that money away so he doesn't cause his family any more hardship!
No :censored2:!!

chev

Nightcrawler
And for the love of God don't stop at Starbucks on the way to work.
Ahhh, Starbucks sucks anyway.:happy-very:
I like WAWA coffee better. (It's an East Coast thing. You wouldn't understand)

Been through hard times myself. Even had days I thought I would not have enough gas to get to work, but I learned to tuck $$ away for that "rainy day". You have to find ways to do it or you will always be in that rut.
Budget, budget, budget. I can't say it enough. If you budget your money and stay true to it, you will come out ahead. It is amazing how much money you will "find" when you budget.
I'm not judging. I know it is hard to do and I wish you all the luck getting on your feet and staying there. Life "happens" all the time. Things come along that will blow your whole plan out of the water. :wink2: It's learning to how to survive them that makes all the difference.

SFBayUPSer

Wow some of your comments are unbelieveable, and you remind me of the managements response to my sitatuion. Some of YOU on this board make me feel like quitting, because I can see the same thing in you guys I see in my management.

I am a newelywed in the San Francisco Bay Area, living in a this economic situation.
Like I said, sorry we live pay check to pay check, I used my $$ put away to get this situation taken care of.

You know what, :censored2: this. If they don't have my check today. Im quitting. NO :censored2: I N G PAY NO WORK.

I can go down to labor ready and stand in the cold waiting for a daily job and make more moeny and probably be more taken care of than with UPS.

I told you all yesterday, the day sort manager LOST MY INFO! She didn't even start working on it till yesterday!

So you can say whatever you want about me, but the bottom line is..... I just want to be paid for the time I worked, on time. As I said in my first post. This is the 4th week in a row ive had payroll issues. Im pretty much done.

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Wow some of your comments are unbelieveable, and you remind me of the managements response to my sitatuion. Some of YOU on this board make me feel like quitting, because I can see the same thing in you guys I see in my management.

I am a newelywed in the San Francisco Bay Area, living in a this economic situation.
Like I said, sorry we live pay check to pay check, I used my $$ put away to get this situation taken care of.

You know what, friend * c k this. If they don't have my check today. Im quitting. NO friend * C K I N G PAY NO WORK.

I can go down to labor ready and stand in the cold waiting for a daily job and make more moeny and probably be more taken care of than with UPS.

I told you all yesterday, the day sort manager LOST MY INFO! She didn't even start working on it till yesterday!

So you can say whatever you want about me, but the bottom line is..... I just want to be paid for the time I worked, on time. As I said in my first post. This is the 4th week in a row ive had payroll issues. Im pretty much done.

Apparently you have had issues with management before.

Like Paul Harvey would say about the rest of the story. I'm sorry for your problems but dropping friend-bombs won't make them go away. I've done some editing of your post.

Please don't talk like that in front of your little girl.

gandydancer

...when I was at work and asked to speak to someone in the union, they told me since I was on probation I would have to do that on my own time.

"They" is management? There is no requirement that you be a seniority employee in order to have representation by a steward in any conversation about a grievance you may have against UPS.

Art 3, Sec 2(b) "The Employer recognizes and acknowledges that the National Union Committee and Local Unions affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters are the exclusive representatives of ALL EMPLOYEES of the Employer in covered classifications."

Art. 4(c)"...Recognizing the importance of the role of the Union Steward in resolving problems or disputes between the Employer and its employees, the Employer reaffirms its commitment to the active involvement of union stewards in such processes in accordance with the terms of this Article.

...a steward shall be afforded the right to leave his/her work area for a reasonable period of time to investigate, present and process grievances and to represent a fellow employee concerning grievances or discipline so long as such activity does not interrupt the Employer?s operations... The Employer shall not use interruption of its operation as a subterfuge for denying such right to the steward.

...When requested by the Union or the employee, there shall be a steward present whenever the Employer meets with an employee concerning grievances or discipline or investigatory interviews."

New Englander and his ilk seem like pretty poor excuses for human beings.

SFBayUPSer is getting a hard and so far as I can see undeserved lesson in what bunch of snakes he'll have for bosses at UPS, and he doesn't need nor has he asked for lectures from financially comfy fatasses with no clue.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Apparently you have had issues with management before.

Like Paul Harvey would say about the rest of the story. I'm sorry for your problems but dropping friend-bombs won't make them go away. I've done some editing of your post.

Please don't talk like that in front of your little girl.

Or mine, for that matter. That aside, don't make a mistake that you'll regret because you're angry. 20 years from now, you'll look back and see what a simple misunderstanding this was. Your daughter will say to all of her friends, that's my dad, the UPS driver. Take it easy man, I thought all people from Northern Cal were hip and cool.

Does that make you feel better, browndevil?:happy-very:

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Like Steve said,you may look back at this and laugh someday!! We live in very challanging times in this country,hang tight and pull up those boot straps>> There are 100o's of people in this nation that would love a shot at getting a UPS job.. They will fix your problem,but don't give them the attitude you have displayed here!! Its not like a fly by nite courrier comp. This is the major leagues of parcels and it will be corrected>> Start bringing in snacks from home,you don't seem well enough on your feet as yet to splurge on that vending crap !!!! Be a man and do this for your family and not just yourself!!! good luck and report back here when things are repaired !!!!

chev

Nightcrawler

You know what, friend * * k this. If they don't have my check today. Im quitting. NO friend * * * * * G PAY NO WORK.

I can go down to labor ready and stand in the cold waiting for a daily job and make more money and probably be more taken care of than with UPS.

:dissapointed: I hope I my comments did not upset you. I was in no way trying to be condescending or judgmental. I can't believe one of your co workers couldn't have enough heart to lend you a few bucks. If I worked with you, I would have been more than happy to give you a leg up. It sucks living from pay check to paycheck.
SF is a high cost of living area. I can understand the struggle.
My wife and I struggled for a couple years after we were first married. Hell, I was working 3 jobs and she 1. Living in a dinky appt. and hoping for a break.

Don't pay too much attention the "know it all" critics.
:sad-little:
Well anyway. Good luck. I hope you get this squared away.

brownrodster

Lol. You are way too sensitive to work at UPS. Go ahead an quit. What's that going to do to us ? This is probably the attitude that got you into a paycheck to paycheck situation.

herbigharo32

Many banks have what is called direct deposit advance. It generally cost about $2 for every $20 borrowed. I've used this service if I was a few bucks short. I don't use it often because renewing gets expensive; also, only borrow small amounts, less then $100. There were several occasions where I needed gas and lunch dough till next payday. So, if you have this option, by all means use it. One thing I would do in your situation is to make a time audit sheet and use it openingly. Doing so sends a clear message that you take your payroll and time keeping seriously. My supervisor does her job right every time so I know my pay is always accurate. Thank god I do not have to use time audit sheets :-)

SFBayUPSer

My FT manager said "I can't have people not comming to work, for whatever reason" He said my last paycheck would be direct deposited, since this all happened Thursday. We'll apparently the issue with my direct deposit has not been resolved, as now I am two weeks down with no pay, and no job. So.....Its whatever. Im working with the union on it.