Did you think it thru when you retired?

Shiftless

When you were planning your retirement, you probably were looking at
"What if Scenario's"?

Was this one of them that we are seeing today with the Chinese Virus?

What were your concern's when calling it time to move on to the after life?

tarbar66

I put my 35 years in and I was ready to leave. I knew there was life after UPS and I intended to make the most of it. Between the pension, 401K, IRA and investments I figured we could get by financially. 10 years later Social Security is even better.
Our travels have included Caribbean cruises, river cruises in Europe, winter trips to Florida and many other destinations.
I never saw this virus coming but hopefully common sense will get us through it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I actually thought a lot about it over the past year, ran a bunch of different scenarios through various retirement calculators to make sure I wasn't just counting on everything being perfect. One thing I'm glad I did in light of recent events was building up a years worth of living expenses in cash, it's nice to have that security blanket when things are looking crazy. Always said that as soon as the numbers worked I would leave, they work, so I'm gone.

Shiftless

I had planned on "NOT" working for UPS for very long when I first started out. I was in Jr college and like many we thought UPS was not long term, just a stepping stone in our life's path. As it turned out for me the thought of working outdoors in a very good paying job at the time with the Cadillac Health Insurance was a no brainer!

Gotta Love Choices!

What started me on my path to retire early? While in Pkg I met an older driver who mentored me. His help at the beginning helped take the frustration out of the job and give me perspective. He would say " its their dispatch, its their issue"! He retired about 16 months later! Told me at that time, I too can do this if I stay away from the trap of making good monies and not spending more than a 40 hr week can support and saving for the future!

When I asked him what are you going to do when you retire? I'm gonna sit on the couch and drink beer when ever I want too! HE DIED 6 months later! Even in his death he mentored me! I knew from that point when I retire I was gonna get busy, stay busy or die!

I Retired like some here at 49 years of age and I am just hitting the been gone for "15 Years Button" here in a month! We gave thought to if I lost the Pension or Insurance would we be able to make it. We collectively decided it wouldn't be as fun, but the thought of staying out weighed staying a moment longer than needed.

BEST CHOICE EVER!

Indecisi0n

Pointless to keep working chasing a mythical number. You lose some of your last healthy years and can't put a price on that.
That's what I tell all these old farts. They tell me "I want to retire but just want to pay XXXXXX off or do XXXXXX before I retire". I tell them, you could die tomorrow man. If you can really afford to do it then retire and enjoy the last years of your life.

oldngray

nowhere special
That's what I tell all these old farts. They tell me "I want to retire but just want to pay XXXXXX off or do XXXXXX before I retire". I tell them, you could die tomorrow man. If you can really afford to do it then retire and enjoy the last years of your life.
For the first year after I retired I really watched my spending because I still wasn't sure about expenses. I still don't crazy spending money but buy something if I really want it and am actually saving money now. And haven't even touched retirement accounts yet.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
What if you decided to stay longer and died before you retired ?
That would be the WORST scenario.
Seen it happen, driver planning to retire at 60 got stomach cancer at 59, never saw his pension. Another guy diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 27 years of service, same deal. A really good dude who taught me a lot about investing retired at 60 and dropped dead of a heart attack barely a year later. These were all just in my old delivery center. Bottom line none of us know how we long we have left, and if you keep hanging around just to pad your pension you might end up never getting any of it or getting to enjoy life after UPS.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
When you were planning your retirement, you probably were looking at
"What if Scenario's"?

Was this one of them that we are seeing today with the Chinese Virus?

What were your concern's when calling it time to move on to the after life?
What if the economy collapses and everything I've poured into my retirement accounts is lost? On the other hand, I have been reconsidering the idea of whether I even want to retire at all.

PT Car Washer

What if the economy collapses and everything I've poured into my retirement accounts is lost? On the other hand, I have been reconsidering the idea of whether I even want to retire at all.
And what if a comet strikes the Earth the day before you planned on retiring? No guarantees in life. I too have been reconsidering retirement. Having too much fun working.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
And what if a comet strikes the Earth the day before you planned on retiring? No guarantees in life. I too have been reconsidering retirement. Having too much fun working.
To me, if your whole life is just building up to retiring and then finally enjoying your life, you've picked the wrong career. I need something I can derive satisfaction and purpose from. Keep the body in motion to keep it operational. Keep pure leisure time more meaningful. Lose your purpose, and your body knows it. I'm not setting myself up so my last twenty years as a geezer are the only good years. I read what people do on here and watch retirees myself. Honestly, I've yet to see a retired lifestyle I find all that more appealing than my own.

You could die right before or after planned retirement like some warn, then again you could have something kill you by 40 or outlive your finances for decades and end up working some piddly dog:censored2: job just to finish getting by anyway. And if you have to get a "retirement job" just to keep busy, was it really time to retire in the first place?