Did you think it thru when you retired?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Why do people talk in the third person
Most often when a person does so it's because they're being either defensive about or protecting a particular image. ... But sometimes people who talkabout themselves in the third personcan in fact be displaying an air of haughtiness and grandeur.

this explains some things
The post you quoted was not written in the third person.

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
I am retired 2 years in 2 weeks. Retired at 49 with 31 years. If you're continually worried about every worst case scenario, you'll die behind the wheel of that brown ice cream truck. You can't keep chasing that elusive perfect number. It doesn't exist. You can plan, save, even adjust to catostrophic changes, but you can't get back years of quality life.

BigMoney

I am retired 2 years in 2 weeks. Retired at 49 with 31 years. If you're continually worried about every worst case scenario, you'll die behind the wheel of that brown ice cream truck. You can't keep chasing that elusive perfect number. It doesn't exist. You can plan, save, even adjust to catostrophic changes, but you can't get back years of quality life.
This is perfectly said and true.

browndevil

When you were planning your retirement, you probably were looking at
"What if Scenario's"?

Was this one of them that we are seeing today with the Chinese Virus?

What were your concern's when calling it time to move on to the after life?
When I knew I had enough money that i wouldn't outlive it. I never looked back and I still DO NOT miss work

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
I did not think it through.
I always vowed to quit the day I had could get insurance with the pension (52) no matter where I was or what I owed. Some of my reasoning has been stated in this thread.
I made good on my vow.
My decisions in life, no matter how important, have always been off the cuff and have always worked out.
11 years out and no matter what the day brings, it is better than being in a brown truck.

Shiftless

I did not think it through.
I always vowed to quit the day I had could get insurance with the pension (52) no matter where I was or what I owed. Some of my reasoning has been stated in this thread.
I made good on my vow.
My decisions in life, no matter how important, have always been off the cuff and have always worked out.
11 years out and no matter what the day brings, it is better than being in a brown truck.

Sounds like you are very flexible! Probably didn't get your panties in a bunch much as a driver! Not to many
can shed the B S we saw or see on a daily basis.

ITS ALL ABOUT CHOICES!

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
I knew three good guys that I worked with.All were very nice men who worked past or to 65 for whatever reason .One I worked next to 23+ years ago when I started and another was a car wash person who always had a nice word . My business agent and union rabbi who just retired who I have known since high school was just 65. All had strokes. I am outta here !!!

Shiftless

Good for you!

It's all about choices! You don't usually get the choice to pick the end of time for yourself!

You work long enough and pay attention to the workers who are age wise in front of you, it shows their is no guarantee other than you will be on the end of a conveyor belt someday ready to shoot off and join those before us !

dragracer66

I retired 3/13/20 and a week later all this going out came to a end here in jersey. It sucks being stuck indoors but still way better than being at work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I retired 3/13/20 and a week later all this going out came to a end here in jersey. It sucks being stuck indoors but still way better than being at work.
Congrats on making it to finish line. This will be over before you know it. We are working on projects in the house and cleaning up years of junk.

You're gonna love retirement , especially if you are healthy. I have been out 5 years now and love every day. I've said this many time here but we absolutely LOVE retirement.

Every morning feels like a Saturday or Sunday. I thought i'd get used to it and become complacent but that hasn't happened yet. I still say to my spouse ......."can you believe we are retired?" and laugh.

rod

Retired 22 years
If you just retired you should have a honey do list a mile long to keep you as busy as you want to be.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
To me, if your whole life is just building up to retiring and then finally enjoying your life, you've picked the wrong career. I need something I can derive satisfaction and purpose from. Keep the body in motion to keep it operational. Keep pure leisure time more meaningful. Lose your purpose, and your body knows it. I'm not setting myself up so my last twenty years as a geezer are the only good years. I read what people do on here and watch retirees myself. Honestly, I've yet to see a retired lifestyle I find all that more appealing than my own.

You could die right before or after planned retirement like some warn, then again you could have something kill you by 40 or outlive your finances for decades and end up working some piddly dog:censored2: job just to finish getting by anyway. And if you have to get a "retirement job" just to keep busy, was it really time to retire in the first place?
What a millennial answer