Didn't disclose ovi during interview

I meant to quote you, but this thread is indented for people who have relevant content to contribute to the discussion, not snide side comments. I'm not defending my actions. Drunk driving was a very poor decision and I'm remorseful for doing it. I don't know why you're getting so fired up here.

I've already asked several questions so far so if you can help it'd be appreciated otherwise just don't say anything else please.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I don't know who this was intended for but if it was for me I will tell you that I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who is stupid enough to get behind the wheel after having a bit too much to drink and that they deserve everything that they have coming to them.

You do know that HR monitors this forum on a regular basis, don't you?

Wait a minute......
I thought you said "buzzed driving" was okay?

C'mon, Pony. You know as well as I and everybody else on this forum that Dave is the undisputed king of back-pedaling.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I meant to quote you, but this thread is indented for people who have relevant content to contribute to the discussion, not snide side comments. I'm not defending my actions. Drunk driving was a very poor decision and I'm remorseful for doing it. I don't know why you're getting so fired up here.

I've already asked several questions so far so if you can help it'd be appreciated otherwise just don't say anything else please.

You have a DUI/OVI on your driving record. It will come out. You will not be hired to drive. Finis.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
No one here can help you. You screwed up and drove while drunk. You screwed up and didn't disclose that info in an interview. End of story.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm not trying to be a driver. It's a totally different position.

Ok, you took the Meals Ready to Eat test in an attempt to get into Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Don't drink, drive and get caught.

And, if you do, be freaking honest in your interview. Integrity issues and all.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well how long do these background checks usually take anyway?

I'm not convinced that not telling them I had a one time, isolated misdemeanor, that I have learned from is not going to get me the job.
You interviewed for a driving position, correct? A recent DUI = no hire. Try back in a few years.

upschuck

How long does it typically take for ups to complete a background check?
Best way to answer this is to call HR and ask the people who can hire you. I believe, from what I have been told, background checks only come back as positive or negative, no other information, and depending on what company is providing the service, is to how long it will take.

Call you local HR dept and ask them.

MendozaJ

You do not have to disclose anything if not a felony, and you're not automatically DQd. A thorough background check shouldn't take more than 48 hours (I'm pretty sure I was hired in under 24) and will reveal your conviction. Right now it's a character issue which is totally subjective, and should naturally leave you with reason to worry. You simply won't know until you know.

watdaflock?

I passed the MRE and received an offer over the phone for an MIT position, contingent on passing the background check. I got an OVI about four months ago.

The application online only asked if I had been convicted of a felony and I wasn't asked during the interview if I had been arrested before. I got the phone call on Friday so it has been nearly a week since Ive heard anything.

I knew the OVI was going to show up on the background check so I didn't see the point in defaming myself during the interview and with the first time I met the man who would be my boss. The long response time could also be due to the background check vendor taking a while too. I hope my offer hasn't been revoked because of this. Will an ovi DQ me? I had never even gotten a moving violation before this.

Are you hoping to become a driver, hired off the street? Or simply get hired by UPS?

If you were hired as a sorter/preloader and not a driver, don't worry about it.