Dirty-Dusty - Package cars.

raceanoncr

Here, and, again, I say HERE, in feeders, I was having to, at least wash windows and mirrors every day (or night). They bitched I didn't have time for that and even sent a rider with. I washed when rider was with. He screamed. I said, "Do you think this is safe with dirty windshield and mirrors?". No comment. And, no comment from then on.
AND, yes, I would always point out that I had and always WILL have, more safe driving days than YOU (the supe)

onewithedd

E5CF8C74-A92D-4010-B439-D295FAD98047.jpeg

Integrity

Binge Poster
Windows and mirrors....
Yes.

Section 1. Employeesʼ Rights—
Equipment, Vehicles and Conditions
The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle, or use any type of equipment, that is not in a safe operating condition or equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law. First line trailers will be swept on a daily basis. All package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition including mirrors and windows.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Yes.

Section 1. Employeesʼ Rights—
Equipment, Vehicles and Conditions
The Employer shall not require employees to take out on the streets or highways any vehicle, or use any type of equipment, that is not in a safe operating condition or equipped with the safety appliances prescribed by law. First line trailers will be swept on a daily basis. All package cars and tractors will be maintained in a clean and sanitary condition including mirrors and windows.

I get it.

One person.. filing one grievance.. won't solve the problem for everyone.

A concerted effort by the majority of drivers in a center, would make an impact.

Members need to rally around these types of issues. Or, the company won't pay attention.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I get it.

One person.. filing one grievance.. won't solve the problem for everyone.

A concerted effort by the majority of drivers in a center, would make an impact.

Members need to rally around these types of issues. Or, the company won't pay attention.
Well said!!!

Solidarity, obtaining it was one of my main goals and greatest challenges when I was Steward.

I have admit I was unsuccessful in obtaining much unity or solidarity among my guys. Support for and participation in the union was reasonably low. It was high when there was self-interest but low when talking about personal sacrifice that benefits everyone.

Unfortunately IMO we fairly represent the attitudes of the UPS rank and file and the resulting challenges that Union Leadership of UPS Teamsters face.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We didn't have a car wash tunnel in my Hub. They cut the number of carwashers a decade or two ago so most of our cars only got washed once or twice a year. Depending on where the car was spotted, some of them never got washed unless they were worked on by the shop. I got tired of my dirty windshield and mirrors so I got a spray bottle and towels I found in the carwash supplies and I would wash them myself after the PCM. My bitching about putting a carwash station near the fuel pumps was ignored by the Safety Committee and management.

Integrity

Binge Poster
We didn't have a car wash tunnel in my Hub. They cut the number of carwashers a decade or two ago so most of our cars only got washed once or twice a year. Depending on where the car was spotted, some of them never got washed unless they were worked on by the shop. I got tired of my dirty windshield and mirrors so I got a spray bottle and towels I found in the carwash supplies and I would wash them myself after the PCM. My bitching about putting a carwash station near the fuel pumps was ignored by the Safety Committee and management.
I get it. I am sure this has happened elsewhere.

Unfortunately IMO both your Safety Committee and your local management were in violation of the CBA.

Ever considering filing a grievance about this?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I get it. I am sure this has happened elsewhere.

Unfortunately IMO both your Safety Committee and your local management were in violation of the CBA.

Ever considering filing a grievance about this?
I did join the Safety Committee for a while in an attempt to correct things. Management seemed to agree with our recommendations but seldom opened up their pocketbooks for anything. I did get days off to enter Liberty Mutual data into their websites and figure out six-month plans to focus on PCM demonstrations. We did have an active committee made up of shop stewards and Circle of Honor drivers. The only thing I really enjoyed was mentoring new drivers and I got to do all-day safety rides with a few of them. They were usually very grateful for my advice and were more relaxed than driving with their On Car Supervisor. There were some grievances filed over contract violations but they weren't ever really enforced but for a short time. I got tired of it after a while and quit a couple of years before I retired.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I cleaned my windows, headlights, back lights, before I left the building. I cleaned the dash and floor during the day at least once a week. I would clean a shelf whenever it was empty. They would throw my cleaning supplies and tools away. I bought more. I had to look out for myself. And that was years ago.

oldngray

nowhere special
I cleaned my windows, headlights, back lights, before I left the building. I cleaned the dash and floor during the day at least once a week. I would clean a shelf whenever it was empty. They would throw my cleaning supplies and tools away. I bought more. I had to look out for myself. And that was years ago.
Mirrors looked worse after the car wash was finished splashing them with dirty water.

Integrity

Binge Poster
Did you ever consider filing a grievance?