Do I have action at winning my Grievance? (22.4 DQ)

mombie

here it goes..........
okay so I finished Intergrad via zoom for 3 days and I was told I would have a chance to drive days 4 and 5 and get to use the diad. I even had to fill out a questionnaire asking if I got to drive etc. which I didn't. I rode with someone the 5th day and he wouldn't really let me help him and only let me use the diad once. The following Tuesday I was suppose to start my packet but my supervisor called out sick for basically the whole week, and was told I would start next Tuesday the Friday of that week, so I didn't get to work all that week as well. I was on the local sort for a few months before I signed up to be a 22.4 and was a seasonal delivery driver helper before that this last peak. I was already feeling super anxious about the driving cause I know they expect a lot from you and I know my 5's and 10's and was hoping I would have gotten a little practice by doing the driver drill and whatever else they make you do at intergrad days 4, and 5. I thought you had to pass the driver drill to get started on your packet. I would rather just failed if It wasn't meant to be during practice than have to go through the stress of learning everything and getting yelled at for every little mistake I make. Anyways yesterday was my first day driving cause I started my packet this week, and rode with other people two days before this and I was told I would drive 50 percent of the day. My supervisor drove for like 20 mins than wanted me to drive. I drove and was nervous of course like im sure most people are but didn't think I was doing that bad you obviously have to get used to making wide turns and the way the truck handles. Well he wanted me to go faster and suggested he drive so we could get caught up. So I let him and basically got dq'd for that. I would have drove the whole time if I would've known it was gonna screw me. He said it was normal and promised me he would make sure I made it with his help etc. Idk and he kept freaking out when I would make little mistakes and it just through me off my game. I know that its a really hard job and not for everyone, but I feel like if I would have gotten the two days of driving during intergrad and not had someone yelling at me I would have done fine. I wanted to quit yesterday because it was too much. I don't even really want to be a driver anymore but if I change my mind Id like to have another chance with a different supervisor. Am I being dramatic or do you think I should have gotten to drive at least a little bit before starting my packet? And is this something I can grieve and win? sorry if I don't make sense..... I know now why all the shifters that use to be drivers don't ever want to drive again lol they expect a lot from you guys. I was really upset this morning but i feel better now and I understand the supervisor was doing his job but I feel like I would have done fine if there was a different approach to the training. I'm also a girl so maybe i'm just a crybaby idk

here it goes..........
okay so I finished Intergrad via zoom for 3 days and I was told I would have a chance to drive days 4 and 5 and get to use the diad. I even had to fill out a questionnaire asking if I got to drive etc. which I didn't. I rode with someone the 5th day and he wouldn't really let me help him and only let me use the diad once. The following Tuesday I was suppose to start my packet but my supervisor called out sick for basically the whole week, and was told I would start next Tuesday the Friday of that week, so I didn't get to work all that week as well. I was on the local sort for a few months before I signed up to be a 22.4 and was a seasonal delivery driver helper before that this last peak. I was already feeling super anxious about the driving cause I know they expect a lot from you and I know my 5's and 10's and was hoping I would have gotten a little practice by doing the driver drill and whatever else they make you do at intergrad days 4, and 5. I thought you had to pass the driver drill to get started on your packet. I would rather just failed if It wasn't meant to be during practice than have to go through the stress of learning everything and getting yelled at for every little mistake I make. Anyways yesterday was my first day driving cause I started my packet this week, and rode with other people two days before this and I was told I would drive 50 percent of the day. My supervisor drove for like 20 mins than wanted me to drive. I drove and was nervous of course like im sure most people are but didn't think I was doing that bad you obviously have to get used to making wide turns and the way the truck handles. Well he wanted me to go faster and suggested he drive so we could get caught up. So I let him and basically got dq'd for that. I would have drove the whole time if I would've known it was gonna screw me. He said it was normal and promised me he would make sure I made it with his help etc. Idk and he kept freaking out when I would make little mistakes and it just through me off my game. I know that its a really hard job and not for everyone, but I feel like if I would have gotten the two days of driving during intergrad and not had someone yelling at me I would have done fine. I wanted to quit yesterday because it was too much. I don't even really want to be a driver anymore but if I change my mind Id like to have another chance with a different supervisor. Am I being dramatic or do you think I should have gotten to drive at least a little bit before starting my packet? And is this something I can grieve and win? sorry if I don't make sense..... I know now why all the shifters that use to be drivers don't ever want to drive again lol they expect a lot from you guys. I was really upset this morning but i feel better now and I understand the supervisor was doing his job but I feel like I would have done fine if there was a different approach to the training. I'm also a girl so maybe i'm just a crybaby idk
Any chance you could make us a little shorter so we can all read it?

mombie

I only did 3 days of zoom intergrad. and had to start my packet without ever driving the truck and allowed the supervisor to drive cause he suggested it cause we were behind I guess. he told me that was normal and that its normal. Even though we were like the first people done at the end of the day. I wasn't the greatest at driving obviously it takes getting use to but I really didnt think it was that bad and he was yelling at me for making minor mistakes and it got in my head and made me mess up more.

542thruNthru

I don't think you have a grievance but you can always try. The job is stressful and there really isn't any real training for it other than go out there and get yelled at.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
They yelled at you? My feeder trainer gave me a black eye and I thanked him for it.

tadpole

Believe in yourself, try again at the earliest opportunity, sign up for Saturday air or utility driving if available, and just know that if you are going to make it next time you're going to have to do everything faster (but safely). Don't be nervous, be confident. If you make a mistake, don't dwell on it, but keep focus on the task at hand. You got this! The sups might yell at you but don't let it get you nervous. You need to show them you won't get rattled.

ToteHoarder

How the hell did you get a driving position without ever taking the driving test?

Come in on a Saturday and ask your sup to drive the package car around the yard. The package car is pretty much the same as any other vehicle so if you’re having problems with that then I guess the job isn’t for you.

I suggest you turn back now because the stress will literally kill you if you can’t handle some basic criticism.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
I've had road tests that lasted from minutes to hours long.
Basically, the sup was covering a route and brought me along as a helper.
Of what I could read of the first post sounds like this was the case.

Whereistheunion

here it goes..........
You sound like you were intimidated by the truck and the job. The job is not what it appears, we don't just drive around Bee-Ssssing this work is tough. When part timers see UPS drivers it's the best part of our day mostly drivers ( leaving for home) "clocking out" so they think the JOB this is easy.. I advise you to try again and take the position more seriously, don't doubt yourself and believe you can do it.

Cowboy Mac

here it goes..........
Drive the truck, don’t let the truck drive you. That’s what a 40 year veteran driver told me when I started my packet. Plenty of women UPS drivers out there, so don’t let that be an excuse.

Hold your head up and learn from your mistakes this time around so that next time you will be prepared. If you want this bad enough, you will take the initiative to prepare yourself before the class and before you start your packet.

Some ideas:

Have your 5’s and 10’s memorized word for word and practice using them in your personal vehicle.

Surround yourself with drivers and recent trainees to get tips and find out what worked/didn’t work for them. Ask questions.

If you can work as a helper before your next shot at this, I would do that too.

Find out as soon as you can what training route you will be on and print manifests and drive around on the weekends to learn the area.

Son of ORION

If you are not able to handle driving a package car, is nothing that you can do about it specially if you’re just starting your 30s….probably a little more of practice on large suvs or box trucks to improve your driving skills will help

mombie

Thanks for all the replies. I worked at local sort beforehand and I didn't realize how hard it was going to be. I knew the driving was going to be the hardest part for me and I guess I just got nervous and it kind of snowballed. I just thought I had to pass the driver drill first before you started your packet. I did pass a road test and did know my 5s and 10s

mombie

How the hell did you get a driving position without ever taking the driving test?

Come in on a Saturday and ask your sup to drive the package car around the yard. The package car is pretty much the same as any other vehicle so if you’re having problems with that then I guess the job isn’t for you.

I suggest you turn back now because the stress will literally kill you if you can’t handle some basic criticism.
No i took a road test, and did 3 days of intergrad virtually and was suppose to do the last two days at my center with a sup. You know how you get a chance to drive the truck and do the driver drill and you have to pass to actually pass intergrad? I never got to do that at all.