Do I have cause to file a grievance?

raceanoncr

According to any contract we have every had, you are only guaranteed the amount of straight time hours your classification calls for. If you are friend/t, you are only guaranteed 40 hours of pay.

You can only file for o/t if a less senior friend/ter is doing the same work in your time slot and in your work area and you are not but COULD be.

As always, tho, be careful what you wish for, it may come true. How? You may get called on to work more hours then you want. Then what? Do you file on that too?

You cannot file on something that MIGHT happen, such as getting more hours.

jlphotog

From all the responses I am gathering the answer to my original question is NO. That is actually good as I don't really want to file a grievance, but thought if it could help me in this situation I will have to bite the bullet and do it.

diesel96

You just want to buy a damn Harley with all that overtime you were getting. Just buck up, break down and buy it already. *LMAO*

Buying the Harley is one thing, then comes dressing it up to fit your personality....Once you catch the fever, believe me, he'll still need to work that o/t for sometime.

lost

The first thing I would do is go ask the Center manager. Isn't he the preload sups boss?
Not in my building. Of course ours is not a small building. I have a sort manager that wants things done his way and of course the center manager wants me to do things his way. I cant please both. So sorry but my sort manager is my boss, thats whose direction I have follow. But the sort manager is concerned with numbers... His famous words are "Just get it on the car, and get the preloaders outta here!" The center manager is more concerned with getting everything loaded right for the drivers. I would like to see us go to just the center manager instead of the sort manager.

Steward773

About six months ago I was asked by our center manager to come in 6:00am to help out on pre-load. I said yes. Near the beginning of this year he asked me to come in at 5:30. Again I said yes.

Then this week the pre-load supe informed all drivers that no one was to punch in before our start time which is 8:30. He also said this decision is his and the center manager cannot over ride it.

This has cut 3 hours of OT per day off of me. That equates to a crap load of money each year. Well over 20G’s that I wont make now.

Do I have a case?

In our building we tried to get the labor manager to agree to post a list for early call in when the preload needs help. He refuses to do that, he would rather pay the grievances. So I would say your lucky you got to work it and make that money, if you want to continue to make it then your gonna have to file if sups are doing the job.

good luck!

ikoi62

In our building we tried to get the labor manager to agree to post a list for early call in when the preload needs help. He refuses to do that, he would rather pay the grievances. So I would say your lucky you got to work it and make that money, if you want to continue to make it then your gonna have to file if sups are doing the job.

Our building has a list of drivers for each center that want to come in early for preload, they also have one for clerks too,our labor manager didn't like seeing all the grievances.

jlphotog

Buying the Harley is one thing, then comes dressing it up to fit your personality....Once you catch the fever, believe me, he'll still need to work that o/t for sometime.

wadep just bought his second Harley. Now he and his wife both have one. He is no stranger to the fever part. Trust me, I was at the dealer with him the other day.

And even though I don't own one yet I already know how I want it dressed.

UPS Lifer

Jlp. you really have to start watching, and find out how the work you USED to do for them is getting done now.

If it is being done by a sup, grieve it.

If it's being done by less senior drivers, grieve it.

If it's being done by off the clock drivers, grieve it.

If the preload can handle it, you have no beef it's not your job.

over9five is 100% correct on this one.... I hear your biggest beef is the fact you are going to lose 20K a year from the loss of the work.

One recommendation...never - never let overtime pay become part of your earnings that you rely day to day to live on. I know this is not the norm but the company can take it away at any time. Put the money you earn in OT in the bank for a rainy day. Never let it control your life. Driver OT wages are the most expensive way to run an inside operation. Any mgmt team worth their weight will minimize those type of hours....so don't rely on those type of hours.

Steward773

Our building has a list of drivers for each center that want to come in early for preload, they also have one for clerks too,our labor manager didn't like seeing all the grievances.

Just curious ikoi62... do they adjust your dispatch so you can make 9/5?
Thanks

wadep

Nope, there is no 9.5 in Canada, they just fill the truck until they can't fit no more and send you on your way. If it wasn't for FEDERAL regulations stating you can't be on road over 12 hours we'd be out there 24/7.

paidslave

About six months ago I was asked by our center manager to come in 6:00am to help out on pre-load. I said yes. Near the beginning of this year he asked me to come in at 5:30. Again I said yes.

Then this week the pre-load supe informed all drivers that no one was to punch in before our start time which is 8:30. He also said this decision is his and the center manager cannot over ride it.

This has cut 3 hours of OT per day off of me. That equates to a crap load of money each year. Well over 20G’s that I wont make now.

Do I have a case?

Sorry but you have no case. Again managament has seen there blunders but to late. Why on earth would a company have a driver come in to do preload...This absolutely blows my mine...You are hired as a driver so start at the start time asigned and quick complaning. I really love it when drivers come in early to sort there truck and help the preload out. How much are you taking out of the preloaders pocket for doing that?

Come on guys this is pathetic!

If you start at 8:30 get there at 8:30 maybe a few minutes early to get a coffee. Heck...the teamsters are trying to force UPS to add additional jobs but if one driver is going to load his truck sort his truck and work throught unpaid lunches and breaks, the only thing I see is LAYOFFS!:angry:

If they had one rookie driver to work the WHole town they wouldn't need others to have a job...this isn't rocket science!

wadep

He's not taking money from a pr-loader as there is no pre loader to take it from. Our center is so short staffed, and U.P.S. starting wage here is now lower than Macdonald's. We can't hire new drivers, pre-loaders or anyone else for that matter.

jlphotog

wadep beat me to it but he is correct. Around here people can go pour coffee at a donut shop for $1.70 an hour higher than what our pre-loaders make. Or they can go pump gas for $3.00 an hour higher. Heck I was talking with one of my customers on Friday, she is the manger of a retail store and let it slip that her full timers make $3.00 an hour more that I do right now.

How screwed up (or in your words, Pathetic) is that.

paidslave

He's not taking money from a pr-loader as there is no pre loader to take it from. Our center is so short staffed, and U.P.S. starting wage here is now lower than Macdonald's. We can't hire new drivers, pre-loaders or anyone else for that matter.

I have a hard time believing UPS can't hire anybody..so I guess I will take your word for it.....I just believe that is what UPS says!!!!!!!!!!

"Oh, poor us nobody will come to work" Ups's problem with this is they hire ONE preloader to load the whole freakin building...

UPS needs to hire 5 or more at a time! This way maybe a couple will stay!

my2cents!

Actually, UP$ needs to pony up and pay a wage that will attract quality people that want and need a job that they can buy groceries with. The 8.50 starting wage is even too low to attract college kids. Most of 'em can drink more beer on the weekend than that will pay for.