Do I lose $ if I switch class A stock to B ?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you don’t have 100 shares to sell you can’t just click the sell button and the sale is immediate. You have to request paperwork from ComputerShare, fill it out, get it notarized and mail it back. Meaning you have no idea what the price will be at the time the sale goes thru. When you have 100, you click sell and that’s the price. It takes 7 business days to do it the other way. Could lose money, could gain money.

Agree, you lose money by trying to sell at 170, but the sell order doesn't go through until the price is 160. I ended up losing out on a few hundred bucks when I was in the exact same situation as OP. Also, the 40 bucks to overnight the notarized form to convert from class A to B. I was at least able to get the notary for free from my UPS store.

The federal tax on capital gains wasn't too bad. My state got me good though. Just had to dip into my new car fund for a month to pay that, not a big deal.

Mr. Marshall

People do not understand that concept. That's money you just put on the side for later on a life that you have a few extra bucks. For all other things you should have an emergency fund.
I seen far too many threads were people was asking how do I get money from my 401k, or how do I cash out my stock.
I agree almost completely with what you say but I do use UPS stock as sort of a secondary emergency fund. I max out our 401ks and our Roth's and I also put $60 bucks a week into stock which I look at as my secondary emergency fund (which is 75k we don't touch in an online savings account) but a few times through the years we have sold stocks when we were flush to pay for home reno's etc. I was actually thinking about a thread someone started last year where people were talking about how they were going to use Corono to empty out there 401k's without the penalty and the ironic thing is they did so at a low. From March 15 to March 15 our Retirement accounts increased by 400k which we would have missed out on if we had done so (we also made a few wise investments in stay at home stocks early on).

ManInBrown

I use the stock as a piggy bank. I like the fact that you can’t access the money for 18 months after the quarterly purchase. I do $100 per week and I save up for big purchases. I will be selling 150 shares in early 2022.

I agree almost completely with what you say but I do use UPS stock as sort of a secondary emergency fund. I max out our 401ks and our Roth's and I also put $60 bucks a week into stock which I look at as my secondary emergency fund (which is 75k we don't touch in an online savings account) but a few times through the years we have sold stocks when we were flush to pay for home reno's etc. I was actually thinking about a thread someone started last year where people were talking about how they were going to use Corono to empty out there 401k's without the penalty and the ironic thing is they did so at a low. From March 15 to March 15 our Retirement accounts increased by 400k which we would have missed out on if we had done so (we also made a few wise investments in stay at home stocks early on).
I agree anybody took out their money a year ago really took a beating