Do our customers understand......

Re-Raise

When I was still covering vacations I went to a plant that was notorious for slowing drivers down.. just because they could.

They worked with chemicals and you couldn't enter their plant with a beard because if they had a spill the air mask wouldn't fit right or something. They would actually hand truck drivers a razor at the gaurd shack or give them the option of paying to have their load spotted when the next plant employee got around to it.

I went into the shipping area to get a signature there after unloading their packages at the dock. There are five guys sitting there with their feet up and I ask if they can sign. They said no the guy that signs is out in the plant. We don't work in shipping.

I asked so the guy that works in shipping is out in the plant, and you guys that work in the plant are here in shipping?

One of them said hey don't be a smartass, which really went over well with me.

I called the center manager and told him. He said draw them a map to the center and bring the packages back, they can come and get them. I said you are my man. He was one of the best center manager s I have had at UPS. You should have seen the look on their faces.

Never had a problem there again getting a signature.

over9five

Staff member
I had a stop on my route that had to be signed by a busy (slightly rude) receptionist. Now this didn't bother me, my policy when starting a route was to take the biggest problem person and make them my best friend. So while she signed for me relatively quickly, she always made Fedex, Airborne, anyone else wait.
So my R&G cover driver is covering for a few weeks, and he can't stand it. He calls in a complaint to their company HQ!

Worked, too. She signed real quick after that!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I hate delivering to Sams or Walmart. They get so uppity. Can't unload til they are observing, sorting, and counting. I make AT LEAST 3x more an hour than you, I don't care about stealing any stupid dvd. I will stand here all day, if you want, but they will put your stop on another vehicle and you will get your crap later in the day, if I do. Your call.
One of our 3 wal marts is notorious for being like this add on top of it they think we should stack their packages neatly on a pallet for them. Well I got sick of waiting 5 min for them to come to the door get everything moved and then let me in. So one day I refused to stack the pallet just unloaded everything lady called in and complained. The next day they took so long to come to the door I had time to scan the 70 or so packages put NI1 on them all service cross them and leave an info notice before they came.... Never had problems again.

I actually have a few buddies that are beer delivery men they say wal Mart is the worst too. If wal mart has one of their trucks pull up while they are unloading they have to pull off wait for that truck to unload and pull off before they can come back.

BigBrown3605

What kind of effect they can have on our day? I had two customers waste about 5 minutes of my day today because they would not let me leave until they rounded up fido so I "don't run over them". Let's use an example of what I figure to be a very average day. Do they realize that if u have 120 stops and each one just wastes just 30 seconds of your day that's an hour later u get home. So this is for you secretary who needed to finish your phone conversation with your boyfriend before you signed. You cashier who needed to checkout 3 people before u initial. The homeowner whose circle drive at the end of the quarter mile driveway is full of cars. Do they have any clue?

I hear you. I'm impatient also. However you will make that time up somewhere else. I have customers that bring me thier pickups and meet me at the truck for deliveries. You are always going to have people that could care less about you and quiet frankly, I could care less about them. Just remember, you are making 80k a year, while those @$$clowns are minimum wagers.

BigBrown3605

What kind of effect they can have on our day? I had two customers waste about 5 minutes of my day today because they would not let me leave until they rounded up fido so I "don't run over them". Let's use an example of what I figure to be a very average day. Do they realize that if u have 120 stops and each one just wastes just 30 seconds of your day that's an hour later u get home. So this is for you secretary who needed to finish your phone conversation with your boyfriend before you signed. You cashier who needed to checkout 3 people before u initial. The homeowner whose circle drive at the end of the quarter mile driveway is full of cars. Do they have any clue?

I hear you. I'm impatient also. However you will make that time up somewhere else. I have customers that bring me thier pickups and meet me at the truck for deliveries. You are always going to have people that could care less about you and quiet frankly, I could care less about them. Just remember, you are making 80k a year, while those clowns are minimum wagers.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Im impatient because I want to get done, I could care less about waiting if I have the time. This morning a rather large woman, who can see me pull up AT A BUSINESS, and then I have to wait while she grabs her PIA little dogs, finally lets me in, after containing the dogs and has to look for the keys to the door and fudge around with that awhile........wants to know if I can wait just a minute while she puts the old whatever in the box that just came. I said sure, its 9:59 Mel, I have 6 NDA left. Then I told her, I waited at your door, for 2 minutes, and your minute now has been 3. While I like to save you money, when you have a delivery in the aft noon, and you want to be out the door lickety spilt at 3:30, how would you like it if I was 5 minutes late. Same thing different arena. Have a great weekend.

brownrod

I've had trains move for me. and yet I've had countless hours wasted by indifferent A-hole customers.
Do I care? No. I get paid by the hour. My job is to give boxes to indifferent A-hole customers.
I choose to be nice to our customers. I don't care if they choose to be nice back or not.
If I go above and beyond the call of duty for these A-holes we call customers I don't need recognition for it. I get paid 32.07$ an hour to do so.

S

splozi

Oooh, I actually meant that as a response to the SECOND part of what you said, not the first.

I didn't even think of it that way. Good one!

SteveUPS

We get paid hourly BUT sometimes.....I just say "I'll be back tomorrow" most are OK with this....some not so much....also depends what kind of mood I am in that day!

brownrod

We get paid hourly BUT sometimes.....I just say "I'll be back tomorrow" most are OK with this....some not so much....also depends what kind of mood I am in that day!

I will definitely walk away. I was told by a sup that 5 minutes was a reasonable amount of time to wait. If I'm left hanging for 5 minutes I scan the package(s) as NR and come back. I don't say a word. I just leave. I've only done this a handful of times in my career. Most notably at the county jail(s) (we have 2). Perhaps I've only done this elsewhere once or twice.