Do the right thing / or not

'Lord Brown's bidding'

A further thought: Many talk about how "doing such-and-such" opens one up to charges of being dishonest. My question is: why would someone go through the trouble of doing what I described above unless they REALLY wanted to get you; even hothead mangers/supervisors, while making your life miserable, don't pursue things unless you give them a reason. And the scenario I describe above, if some manager really wanted to push the issue-many if most will not-it probably wouldn't leave his office after a talk with the steward. To me, that's not harrasment so much as a manager making sure I'm on the up-and-up. Been there, left with my values intact, but I rarely find myself in such situations.
I will also say I do not look at management as some evil entity that takes me for granted and is only out to get me; they are fellow human beings with responsibilities, and to what extent I can I will work with them, and do my best to even accommodate them, even if they are not necessarily willing to extend me that courtesy in the beginning. You keep being kind and making obvious efforts to work with someone it is kinda hard to single you out for every little indiscretion or questionable-though not necessarily wrong-action, especially when they have bigger fish to fry, namely those who are antagonistic to all things management and go out of their way to defy them. Those are the ones they make examples out of; me, not so much.
In some of you I see this antagonistic, fight management every tooth and nail, take everything personal (although you preach taking things in stride; your posting style here suggests in person you do otherwise). You NEED to be scared they are waiting for you to show the slightest trip; me, not so much. I ain't above the law, but I do not have to fear the law neither (similar example, I pass state troopers all the time in a 55 doing 65, both at work and in personal vehicles. rarely get even a glance).

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Both of you are wrong.

The correct method is to sheet it as you pick it up. You are not to add to a drop box or a pickup.

Say you what you want, just do the job the way we ask you to do.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Both of you are wrong.

The correct method is to sheet it as you pick it up. You are not to add to a drop box or a pickup.

So, if we all did it the "Dave" way for a week or two, we'd all be out of work?

S

serenity now

Both of you are wrong.

thank you; it's just that simple * scan it and be done with it

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Both of you are wrong.

Dragon, my center manager (your position, no?) first gave me the instruction concerning adding pkgs to other stops so that I get credit, although that was not about ARS, per se. Studying how we get credit for pkgs led me to further insights. Until shown an actual dishonest act, nothing here concerns me.

And serenity, I do scan the ARS immediately, under the stop open at the time. I then edit the total of a previously completed pickup stop (or if I haven't done a pickup yet, remember to add the packages to the total).

What's more, for any newbies reading, I recommend you get credit for the work you do. many here will tell you not to worry about "their numbers" and "their reports", but then complain about the "harrasment" for said numbers. I take their numbers seriously, and don't complain about harrasment (and have much less stress). Get credit for your work.

DorkHead

APettyJ, if you go to a p/up and they have 10 pkgs going out and 5 ARS pkgs, you record the 10 in the p/up account. Stop complete. Then go to "special counts" and scan and record the 5 ARS in the prepaid. You DON`T total 15 in the p/up account. It`s really very simple and you are inflating your actual numbers if you don`t do it this way.

What`s more, for any of you newbies, I recommend you record the correct way.

Ms.PacMan

FYI - You don't need to stop complete a p/u before entering/scanning an ARS. The special counts button is in the p/u screen.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dragon, my center manager (your position, no?) first gave me the instruction concerning adding pkgs to other stops so that I get credit, although that was not about ARS, per se. Studying how we get credit for pkgs led me to further insights. Until shown an actual dishonest act, nothing here concerns me.

And serenity, I do scan the ARS immediately, under the stop open at the time. I then edit the total of a previously completed pickup stop (or if I haven't done a pickup yet, remember to add the packages to the total).

You get credit for an ARS, you do not have add it to a pickup. I do not think there is any one UPS driver that picks up enough ARS package to make any difference on their day.

What's more, for any newbies reading, I recommend you get credit for the work you do. many here will tell you not to worry about "their numbers" and "their reports", but then complain about the "harrasment" for said numbers. I take their numbers seriously, and don't complain about harrasment (and have much less stress). Get credit for your work.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
You get credit for an ARS, you do not have add it to a pickup. I do not think there is any one UPS driver that picks up enough ARS package to make any difference on their day.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's an ARS---how would you know whether it was handed to me on-road, dropped off at the UPS Store or in a drop box, or added to the pile at a daily pickup? To quote Hillary, "What difference does it make?"

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I scan an ARS if someone hands it to me on the street, but I don't scan anything at a pickup anymore except the PSB. At drop boxes I obviously scan everything.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Dork, its funny, but technically it is incorrect to stop complete a stop before adding an ARS package received at that location, which is why it can be accessed from within a stop. I know, a small detail; in reality so is this.

Dragon, I don't if this is by division or not (afterall, some here claim they still get credit for unscheduled pickups and address corrections, when we have been told here we don't get credit for address corrections and I know for fact we dont get credited for an unscheduled pickup stop) but in our boards anything scanned via the prepaid screen is not added to your daily totals (option 7 of timecatd screen, where you can see stops, pieces (and these broken down by service class), p/u stop totals, and total released pkgs. The pacakages will also not be counted on the over/under report the next day; where it does count is the number of pkgs scanned (or keyed if you go that route. (interestingly, pkgs we type in ourselves-like off the end-of-day-do not count to the service class break down, bit ARS' do)

In essence, we get no credit for ARS pkgs as pickup pieces. When you have some places shipping out 20 ARS boxes of books, that's a lot of effort and time I don't get credit for. Still, the idea to add them to another pickup's total stemming from the conversation with my center manager.

AKCoverMan

One night on my way back to the building I was sent an ODS asking me to stop on my way thru downtown at an office building and make a pickup. It was about 1900 but the message said building security would buzz me in. This particular office building houses mostly state government offices..

Anyway I get there and they buzz me in. Find a shrine of over 300 HP cartridges stacked neatly in a kind of pyrimyd design! Took about 15 trips with the handcart.. I was there awhile. Since the center had only sent me a text and not an actual on-demand pickup I sheeted it as an unscheduled pickup.

I don't know if I was over allowed that day or not.. but I would hope a pu of 300+ pieces be they ARS or not would add some allowance to the day.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Not just about getting paid by the hour; it is (for me) learning the rules of the game and living so you can keep getting paid by the hour. For better or worse, we are in a numbers game now, aggravated more by telematics and the sheer number of ways they can measure our performance. Many "tricks" are now outright illegal; this is not, and the only ones who'd get in trouble are those who already have a target, like management wanted them gone yesterday.

A similar "rules infraction"-but in no way dishonest-is delivering ground with airs. We have clear instructions, but most senior guys still do it; I've seen a division manager chastised a driver doing that; I remember thinking how could she be so disconnected. However, that drover wasn't suspended, and I doubt got much more than a warning to the effect of 'Be careful. Don't make any mistakes because they are watching'.

It is a numbers game even more for our immediate supes and mgrs: they need us to get credit for our work as much as we do. Like I said, I ain't above the law; I have a healthy fear of it, but I am not afraid of it.

DorkHead

Dork, its funny, but technically it is incorrect to stop complete a stop before adding an ARS package received at that location, which is why it can be accessed from within a stop. I know, a small detail; in reality so is this.

Dragon, I don't if this is by division or not (afterall, some here claim they still get credit for unscheduled pickups and address corrections, when we have been told here we don't get credit for address corrections and I know for fact we dont get credited for an unscheduled pickup stop) but in our boards anything scanned via the prepaid screen is not added to your daily totals (option 7 of timecatd screen, where you can see stops, pieces (and these broken down by service class), p/u stop totals, and total released pkgs. The pacakages will also not be counted on the over/under report the next day; where it does count is the number of pkgs scanned (or keyed if you go that route. (interestingly, pkgs we type in ourselves-like off the end-of-day-do not count to the service class break down, bit ARS' do)

In essence, we get no credit for ARS pkgs as pickup pieces. When you have some places shipping out 20 ARS boxes of books, that's a lot of effort and time I don't get credit for. Still, the idea to add them to another pickup's total stemming from the conversation with my center manager.

Correct. There is a area in the p/up for prepaid so you can enter it there but not in the total.