Do the right thing / or not

DorkHead

It's an ARS---how would you know whether it was handed to me on-road, dropped off at the UPS Store or in a drop box, or added to the pile at a daily pickup? To quote Hillary, "What difference does it make?"

The difference is see post #29
I wish I could add bubblehead`s avatar to this.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

You get paid by the hour! Who cares what the report gives you credit for!!The only numbers I give a crap about is my take home pay!!

It may not affect you directly, but give em cause and one day you are started down the disciplinary progression for "failing to grab the handrail"; something we can get disiciplined for but nobody will, unless they are out to get you. Then the numbers you DO care about are in danger.

This is low hanging fruit that I can use to accurately reflect my day (a pickup piece is a pickup piece).

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I've been gotten 'with something good' several times, and I am still here. It wasn't luck; people knew I respected what was going on and that was reflected in my work and dealings with others. 'They' really didn't want to let me go (told by managers, supes, and union officials), and it was because I was 'caring about the numbers' before I was forced to 'care about the numbers'. I did what I could, I made the effort.

Oh, things never got to the local hearing. They never left the bldg (though I lost my job for a total of two weeks for a couple incidences while things were hashed out, and the other time I was an article 7 for two lomonths; I know better now, but back then I worked everyday thinking I would come back to the bldg and be told not to come back the next day).

Ms.PacMan

It is a numbers game even more for our immediate supes and mgrs: they need us to get credit for our work as much as we do. Like I said, I ain't above the law; I have a healthy fear of it, but I am not afraid of it.

IMO - Telematics for hourlies is not about showing over/under. You can still be over allowed and have an acceptable telematics report. If you are following the methods, recording each stop and p/u accordingly, and working your regular pace then each stop will be within the time allowance. If you are over allowed at the end of the day then it is because of other reasons e.g.; traffic, speed, elevators, waiting on someone to answer a back door, ARS p/u's.....

I am NOT advocating screwing around - the production report each day is a reflection of your time study and telematics is the real reflection of your working day. Any discrepancy is caused by only two things - you or a faulty time study. Just my opinion.

QKRSTKR

Wow, it's so funny how people do things different places. Upstate is definitely wrong adding ars pkgs people hand him in a drop box count. That's why you have to scan all drop box pkgs, so company knows how much a drop box is being used. I'd like to know his excuse for not doing it the proper way in special counts.

Now at regular pick ups if they have any ars pkgs you count them in your pick up totals for that stop, regardless if they use world ship or whatever. Do not scan, just load and add to pick up pkgs. and you don't put them in special counts. That's how we were all trained a couple yrs ago. We use to scan everything, company said we didn't need to.

QKRSTKR

APettyJ, if you go to a p/up and they have 10 pkgs going out and 5 ARS pkgs, you record the 10 in the p/up account. Stop complete. Then go to "special counts" and scan and record the 5 ARS in the prepaid. You DON`T total 15 in the p/up account. It`s really very simple and you are inflating your actual numbers if you don`t do it this way.

What`s more, for any of you newbies, I recommend you record the correct way.

This is exactly how I have been instructed to do it. We even had little ups quiz s to make sure everyone understood how to do it. If I'm at a sch. Pu and they have 1 asd and 9 ars, that's 10 pkgs going in my totals for that stop. And why? Cause I picked up 10 pkgs. If someone hands me a pkg on the street, I scan it immediately in special counts and add pkg in special counts.

Dragon

Package Center Manager
It's an ARS---how would you know whether it was handed to me on-road, dropped off at the UPS Store or in a drop box, or added to the pile at a daily pickup? To quote Hillary, "What difference does it make?"

Its called recording the package correctly. Its nothing personal.

"What difference does it make?" Here is a hypothetical situation for you: Lets say one day you ask me if its ok to just to put the ARS together at one stop just because its convient for you and I say yes. (Not a method)
The next day you decide to sheet a NDA saver business after 3 as a residential because you didn't want to break to get it because it was inconvient, not a method (why not I let you sheet the ARS together, we're cool...)
and I bring you in the office the next day for discipline for you know what.
Why would it be ok not to have you follow one method and but demand you follow the other one.

Thats why I ask everyone to follow the methods...makes everyones life a little easier.

Last edited:

Dragon

Package Center Manager
Dork, its funny, but technically it is incorrect to stop complete a stop before adding an ARS package received at that location, which is why it can be accessed from within a stop. I know, a small detail; in reality so is this.

Dragon, I don't if this is by division or not (afterall, some here claim they still get credit for unscheduled pickups and address corrections, when we have been told here we don't get credit for address corrections and I know for fact we dont get credited for an unscheduled pickup stop) but in our boards anything scanned via the prepaid screen is not added to your daily totals (option 7 of timecatd screen, where you can see stops, pieces (and these broken down by service class), p/u stop totals, and total released pkgs. The pacakages will also not be counted on the over/under report the next day; where it does count is the number of pkgs scanned (or keyed if you go that route. (interestingly, pkgs we type in ourselves-like off the end-of-day-do not count to the service class break down, bit ARS' do)

In essence, we get no credit for ARS pkgs as pickup pieces. When you have some places shipping out 20 ARS boxes of books, that's a lot of effort and time I don't get credit for. Still, the idea to add them to another pickup's total stemming from the conversation with my center manager.

In Telematics you can print out a time standard for each route. On this printout it shows exactly how much time you get in every catagory. In our district there is time for ARS (and so do you), regular pickup pcs, delivery stop, air, etc etc. You would be amazed how many people record stuff that they think they get credit for..cause driver so and so said so.

Take my word you get credit.

Here is one tip will that will really help you. Make your customers print you the end of day! When I ride with a driver and I see him start to scan I just tell him stop. I will let you guess how the rest of the conversation goes.