Do you guys think I’ll get fired?

FeederTheD

I’m a new driver, about 30 days in now. Yesterday, dispatch had me shifting for about 9 hours. They let me know before I got to work that I would be doing a load after I was done shifting. I agreed to come in. The leg wasn’t in my IVIS until about 5 hours after my shift started. The whole time I had it in the back of my mind that I’m going to run a load early in the morning after I’m done shifting. Which I didn’t have a problem with. By the time my 9th hour hits (3:30am), dispatch messages me on shift comm telling me “go ahead and call it a night cya.” Mind you, I was up for almost 24 hours so I was tired, thought nothing of it and punched out.

Soon as I got to the dispatch office to turn in my truck key, a girl in dispatch decides to call me out in front of everybody with an attitude and asks, “You know you still have a load on your board, right?” I told her, “dispatch messaged me on shift comm telling me to call it a night… that’s not my fault.”

Her and the other 2 dispatchers tell me that it’s my fault and my responsibility to look and see if I have another leg before punching out. I continued to tell them it’s not my fault and they kept telling me it was. I just kept on telling them it wasn’t my fault. Then one of them asked me what my name was and wrote it down on a piece of paper. As if he’s gunna complain to upper management about me. Got a feeling I’m gunna hear from a sup about this tomorrow.

I’ve been wanting to get into UPS for years and now that I’m finally in, I feel like I’m getting off on the wrong foot. I hate confrontation but refuse to let dispatch walk all over me. I’m afraid I might get let go because of this small altercation. What should I do? Wait and see how it plays out, or talk to a sup or the union? I don’t even know if I’m protected by the union all the way yet. I’m permanent full time, if that means anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

ToteHoarder

When I first started I played dumb a lot and that worked out for me for a while.

In the future make sure you always cover your ass and stop driving if you don’t feel safe to do so. Call a sup and tell them what’s up and get confirmation.

Last edited:

Shiftless

FeederTheD

>>>>>some snipits from his long post:

"I’m a new driver, about 30 days in now."

"I’ve been wanting to get into UPS for years and now that I’m finally in,"

"I don’t even know if I’m protected by the union all the way yet."

"I’m permanent full time, if that means anything."

WOW were to begin!

NAHimGOOD

Nothing to see here.... Move along.
FeederTheD

>>>>>some snipits from his long post:

"I’m a new driver, about 30 days in now."

"I’ve been wanting to get into UPS for years and now that I’m finally in,"

"I don’t even know if I’m protected by the union all the way yet."

"I’m permanent full time, if that means anything."

WOW were to begin!
You meant WHERE to begin.

Technically.

Perhaps.

Helping.

muthatrucka

I’m a new driver, about 30 days in now. Yesterday, dispatch had me shifting for about 9 hours. They let me know before I got to work that I would be doing a load after I was done shifting. I agreed to come in. The leg wasn’t in my IVIS until about 5 hours after my shift started. The whole time I had it in the back of my mind that I’m going to run a load early in the morning after I’m done shifting. Which I didn’t have a problem with. By the time my 9th hour hits (3:30am), dispatch messages me on shift comm telling me “go ahead and call it a night cya.” Mind you, I was up for almost 24 hours so I was tired, thought nothing of it and punched out.

Soon as I got to the dispatch office to turn in my truck key, a girl in dispatch decides to call me out in front of everybody with an attitude and asks, “You know you still have a load on your board, right?” I told her, “dispatch messaged me on shift comm telling me to call it a night… that’s not my fault.”

Her and the other 2 dispatchers tell me that it’s my fault and my responsibility to look and see if I have another leg before punching out. I continued to tell them it’s not my fault and they kept telling me it was. I just kept on telling them it wasn’t my fault. Then one of them asked me what my name was and wrote it down on a piece of paper. As if he’s gunna complain to upper management about me. Got a feeling I’m gunna hear from a sup about this tomorrow.

I’ve been wanting to get into UPS for years and now that I’m finally in, I feel like I’m getting off on the wrong foot. I hate confrontation but refuse to let dispatch walk all over me. I’m afraid I might get let go because of this small altercation. What should I do? Wait and see how it plays out, or talk to a sup or the union? I don’t even know if I’m protected by the union all the way yet. I’m permanent full time, if that means anything. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
The easiest way to handle this would have been to ask "would you like me to punch back in"? They would've said no and then you would be free to go. Also keep the message that said call it a night for evidence. These new dispatch sups are all trying to make a name for themselves. You have to be smart, they will tell things like, go ahead and hit leave to make your gate time then the manager asks why your dive time is too much. Follow proper procedure, they are not your friends!!!

trickpony1

I saw several issues:
-conflicting signals from management;
-already on clock for nine hours, would he have time to make the run?;
-fatigue?

Will the OP update us?

Trucker Clock

dispatch messages me on shift comm telling me “go ahead and call it a night cya.”

Dispatch did not send you a message. Shift Comm is handled by yard control, not dispatch. Yard control said they were done with you shifting.

Mind you, I was up for almost 24 hours so I was tired, thought nothing of it and punched out.

Yard control told you that you were done shifting, but you decided not to finish your day and run the leg? Because you were tired?

Got a feeling I’m gunna hear from a sup about this tomorrow.

Probably.

I’ve been wanting to get into UPS for years and now that I’m finally in, I feel like I’m getting off on the wrong foot.

You've been wanting in for years, don't know if you're in the Union yet and decide on your own to not run a leg that is in your board? And then get snotty with dispatch because they tell you there is still a leg in your board?

Before you go doing this, make sure you are in the Union first.

I hate confrontation but refuse to let dispatch walk all over me.

You have to suck it up, until you are in the Union. Then you can take that attitude.

What should I do? Wait and see how it plays out, or talk to a sup or the union?

Wait and see. They need drivers badly now. Even if they wanted to make an example out of you, they won't this time of year. You may get bitched at, but smile and take it, if you're not in the Union yet. If you are in the Union, just smile and take it.

I don’t even know if I’m protected by the union all the way yet.

This is something you need to find out first before you start backtalking dispatch.

muthatrucka

Dispatch did not send you a message. Shift Comm is handled by yard control, not dispatch. Yard control said they were done with you shifting.
Yard control and dispatch are the same people in a ton of places. So this is according to where u are. Dispatch sups aren’t feeder bosses. There are occasions when they say dumb things to which you should reply I will ask my boss if he would like me to do that.