Do you have a route that gets cut?

ManInBrown

Demand your 8 hours and totally tank any :censored2: route they stick you on. They will then leave your route alone and find another to cut.
It's not the way it works. The decision to slash which routes is not done at the center level. It's done by someone in an ivory tower. He could tank all he wants. It's still getting cut

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
They cut my route ONCE. It was a great day as I demanded my 8 hours the center manager decided to be a cute and sent me out on a very rural route two counties over from where I deliver that i didnt know the first thing about and told me he was certain I'd get my 8,.
i ran about 4 stops an hour(had to look up each stop on my map book) , worked 14 hours and brought back almost 60 stops.
I stayed in contact with the building throughout the day and let them know just how bad it was going to be for them,and i guess they thought I was BSing them............ my route is ALWAYS in since

JackStraw

It's not the way it works. The decision to slash which routes is not done at the center level. It's done by someone in an ivory tower. He could tank all he wants. It's still getting cut
Wrong. Have a senior driver whose route was cut. He wanted 8 in his classification, got put on a route that a burner usually does, dropped the anchor and came in at 9. Never cut his route again.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am a full time driver and my full time route gets cuts every Monday and sometimes Friday's. Most of the time they will put me on another route, or some days I will get the day off. Sometimes they give me the option to work but of coarse I always decline. Just wondering if anyone else has this same situation and what they do. Also, is there anything in the contract about this? I know as a full time driver I'm guaranteed 8 hours but IMO I think they should give me a choice of the routes that need covered for that day or the option of taking the day off, as long as they have cover drivers to cover.

710 language...Article 8 Section 3.

If an Employee's package route is temporarily eliminated he/she will have the ability to follow any portion of their route as seniority allows. The displaced driver will displace any junior coverage driver. The displaced coverage driver will work as directed.

I have asked if I have to work when my route is cut. They always respond that seniority gives me a right to work, not the right not to work.

Mine occasionally gets cut in Mondays. And rarely both Monday and Friday. It's actually only been cut on a Monday a few times this year.

In the Southerm Supplement we become unassigned drivers on those days and select by seniority. I'm glad we don't do that following the work crap like some areas do. Here the idea is that we bid a route and not specific areas of a route. So, we don't have the right to bump someone off another route just because certain areas from our cut route was moved to theirs. And that's how it should be.

A guy with more seniority than me choose a route that was already getting cut at least one day per week before ORION was implemented and I chose one that was usually in. Now his is cut more often and mine is not. He can't, and shouldn't ever be able to, bump me off mine if some of his work is added to mine. There is nothing logical or fair about being able to do so. The next bid (in just under two years) is when he'll be able bump me. Until then..... tough shiiiat. Sorry about his luck. LOL.

Last edited:

ManInBrown

Wrong. Have a senior driver whose route was cut. He wanted 8 in his classification, got put on a route that a burner usually does, dropped the anchor and came in at 9. Never cut his route again.
LOL. I can tell you, the decision to cut which routes is not done at the center level. Hell, the crew in my building can't even wipe their noses without checking with the DM first. Maybe cutting this driver's route was a one time thing. I know they tell them how many routes they can run, but they also tell them which ones to cut. That's what I've been told. Maybe Dragon can chime in

wayfair

swollen member
Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work. But they can't put me in a route of a driver who is at work, but wants the day. Doesn't work like that. Because then you are giving that driver the right to not work. Even if they have more seniority than me.

layoffs are forced from the botton and offered to the top (seniority that is)

ManInBrown

layoffs are forced from the botton and offered to the top (seniority that is)
Not the way it works here. If my routes in, and a lower seniority cover driver isn't assigned I can ask him if he wants to run my route. He can say no. I can't force. I'm just telling you how they are running things here recently. Rarely do they say no. But they can say no. And they have at times.

Last edited:

wayfair

swollen member
Not the way it works here. If my routes in, and a lower seniority cover driver isn't assigned I can ask him if he wants to run my route. He can say no. I can't force. I'm just telling you how they are running things here recently. Rarely do they say no. But they can say no. And they have at times.

I can't ask other drivers to run my route, that's managements job...

If I come to work, I'm gonna work... unless it's a poopy day. If I see a lower seniority cover driver not doing anything, and I want the day... I'll let his sup know that he's got my run for the day

ManInBrown

I can't ask other drivers to run my route, that's managements job...

If I come to work, I'm gonna work... unless it's a poopy day. If I see a lower seniority cover driver not doing anything, and I want the day... I'll let his sup know that he's got my run for the day
I don't know. I show up 2 minutes before the PCM. I don't talk to sups. We make moves between ourselves. Then we let them know who's running what. Sometimes they have an objection but rarely

Re-Raise

Mine occasionally gets cut in Mondays. And rarely both Monday and Friday. It's actually only been cut on a Monday a few times this year.

In the Southerm Supplement we become unassigned drivers on those days and select by seniority. I'm glad we don't do that following the work crap like some areas do. Here the idea is that we bid a route and not specific areas of a route. So, we don't have the right to bump someone off another route just because certain areas from our cut route was moved to theirs. And that's how it should be.

A guy with more seniority than me choose a route that was already getting cut at least one day per week before ORION was implemented and I chose one that was usually in. Now his is cut more often and mine is not. He can't, and shouldn't ever be able to, bump me off mine if some of his work is added to mine. There is nothing logical or fair about being able to do so. The next bid (in just under two years) is when he'll be able bump me. Until then..... tough shiiiat. Sorry about his luck. LOL.
Our bids are FOREVER.

I am the second highest seniority driver in our center and when I bid this rural route 17 years ago it had never been cut before.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our bids are FOREVER.

I am the second highest seniority driver in our center and when I bid this rural route 17 years ago it had never been cut before.
S

C

R

E

W

T

H

A

T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Longer bids might be OKed here but permanent bids would never be allowed. There's too many things that can change about a route. Plus, our bodies don't last forever. I've seen more than one driver abandon a route after 20 years because their once light commercial/high residential houses route blew up into a monster with numerous four story apartment complexes. Their knees couldn't take it anymore. Some people bid those monsters because that's all their seniority can give them. It should never be forever unless you want it to be and your seniority protects you from being bumped.

Brown Down

My old route used to be cut alot like that and combined with another one. If that is the case check and see if the other route is more than 50% your route. According to the contract that is your route so file if they don't put you on it.

Savvy412

Mine never gets cut. But my Monday's and Fridays suck because I always have a bunch of stops I never did before or just areas I hate that I am slightly familiar with .

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yup. Every Monday and sometimes Fridays. I always work anyway. On those days I get put on a route that is in. Be it a driver on vacation or an open route.

The way it works here is, if they have me on a route of a driver who is on vacation than I have to work. I don't have the option of going home. Seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work. But they can't put me in a route of a driver who is at work, but wants the day. Doesn't work like that. Because then you are giving that driver the right to not work. Even if they have more seniority than me. Doesn't matter. I always want to work anyway so that's besides the point.

I can't follow my work because the 3 or 4 drivers it gets put on, all have more seniority then me.
Some supplements it does give you the right not to work also and in those that it doesn't (like yours and mine). It's management discretion if they want to send someone home so if they choose yeah they can throw you on another drivers route and let them go home.