Do you need a class A license to be a local delivery driver?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I should pass the scales one of these days. I bet we'd all be in for a surprise.

My first stop for many years was a chemical plant less than a quarter mile from the building. One day, the truck felt so doggy, I asked the guard if I could go through their scale. Turns out, I was almost 2000 pounds over weight.

You should have heard my supe when I called him and told him to come get a bunch of work off me.;)

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Class A

For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any combination of vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), actual weight, or registered weight over 26,000 pounds provided the GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of the towed vehicle(s) is more than 10,000 pounds.

Class B

For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any single vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight over 26,000 pounds, or such vehicle towing a vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of 10,000 pounds or less.

Class C

For operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Any single vehicle with a GVWR, actual weight, or registered weight of 26,000 pounds or less, (or such vehicle towing a vehicle less than 10,000 pounds) transporting hazardous materials requiring placarding or designed to carry 16 or more persons including the driver.

Class D

For operation of automobiles; light trucks and mopeds.

Class M

For operation of motorcycles.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Ontario is in Cali.
Usually, Class A is all you need.
Class C or D vary by state - these are normally referred to Commercial Drivers License or CDL.
If you drive a large 24 foot van or a loaded out P-1000 Package Car.
The brown trucks are referred to as Package Cars.
The Tractor-Trailer vehicle combinations definitely require a CDL.

Don't mind these other goobers attacking you.
They are trying to make up for their inadequacies.
Scooby has a 1 inch appendage (for example). He dates a chiquaqua.

You got that backward.

Class D is usually all you need. In most states, if you have a license to drive a car, you can drive a package car. Anything under 26,500 lbs. A few states still require a Class C or equivalent to drive a package car.

Class A is a CDL.

You need a T endorsement on your Class A to drive doubles or triples.

Gear

Parts on Order
I still call the Package Cars trucks. Its not a car, its a truck. We call box trucks, furniture vans. Its a truck with a box on it, a box truck. Its not a van and we dont just haul furniture. None of our UPS terms make any sense. Lets say I was picking up a box truck from the dealer after a repair. If I walked in and said, "Hey is my furniture van ready to go?" They would have no idea what I was talking about.

rod

Retired 22 years
All we ever needed was a Class D for anything other than feeders----and by the way as far as I'm concerned the package delivery vehicles are TRUCKS--always have been and always will be---no matter if UPS calls them cars or not. Pull up to a cop in your P-1000 and ask him a question about your "car". You will be talking a sobriety test shortly.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I still call the Package Cars trucks. Its not a car, its a truck. We call box trucks, furniture vans. Its a truck with a box on it, a box truck. Its not a van and we dont just haul furniture. None of our UPS terms make any sense. Lets say I was picking up a box truck from the dealer after a repair. If I walked in and said, "Hey is my furniture van ready to go?" They would have no idea what I was talking about.
Get worked up easy?

El Correcto

god is dead
All we ever needed was a Class D for anything other than feeders----and by the way as far as I'm concerned the package delivery vehicles are TRUCKS--always have been and always will be---no matter if UPS calls them cars or not. Pull up to a cop in your P-1000 and ask him a question about your "car". You will be talking a sobriety test shortly.
But, I drive past these guilt free knowing I'm in a package car.
no-trucks.jpg