Do you need a class A license to be a local delivery driver?

roblejant

About to hit 2 years working for UPS, and I just wanted to know if you need a class A drivers license to drive the brown package delivery trucks? or can you be able to get the position with just a class c?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
About to hit 2 years working for UPS, and I just wanted to know if you need a class A drivers license to drive the brown package delivery trucks? or can you be able to get the position with just a class c?
Two friggin years on the job and you're just now asking? I don't know what's worse, you signing up to this site to ask or not knowing the answer after two years. Do you really work for UPS? They are called cars not trucks by the way!

But anyways, to answer your question, yes

roblejant

my apologies for getting the names wrong. yes i do work at ups ont, and the current wait to become a package car driver is 10+ years. So a class A is required?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Ontario is in Cali.
Usually, Class A is all you need.
Class C or D vary by state - these are normally referred to Commercial Drivers License or CDL.
If you drive a large 24 foot van or a loaded out P-1000 Package Car.
The brown trucks are referred to as Package Cars.
The Tractor-Trailer vehicle combinations definitely require a CDL.

Don't mind these other goobers attacking you.
They are trying to make up for their inadequacies.
Scooby has a 1 inch appendage (for example). He dates a chiquaqua.

scooby0048

Ontario is in Cali.
Class C or D vary by state - these are normally referred to Commercial Drivers License or CDL.

Small but cute...just how you like em!

scooby0048

Ontario is in Cali.

Canadian lover!

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Ontario is in Cali.
In my state UPS under reports the vehicles weights allowing any Class D license holder to drive anything but feeders .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
In my state UPS under reports the vehicles weights allowing any Class D license holder to drive anything but feeders .
Doubtful!
UPS rates their vehicles at less than 24,000 pounds GVW and that is what is filed with vehicle registration.
UPS use to overrate the GVW but when the Feds passed the CDL law, UPS started rating vehicles under 24k GVW.
If UPS Driver goes over 24k GVW and is caught, he/she and company will be in trouble.

Last edited:

scooby0048

Doubtful!
UPS rated their vehicles at less than 24,000 pounds GVW and that is what is filed with vehicle registration.
UPS use to overrate the GVW but when the Feds passed the CDL law, UPS started rating vehicles under 24k GVW.
If UPS Driver goes over 24k GVW and is caught, he/she and company will be in trouble.
I should pass the scales one of these days. I bet we'd all be in for a surprise.