Doctor's Visit Compliments UPS drivers

Channahon

I wanted to share a pleasant experience I had today when visiting a new doctor's office.

After small talk about me, I mentioned I retired from UPS and the doctor said " UPS drivers are the most pleasant and seem to be much happier than other drivers that deliver to his office". And he also stated the drivers know how to take care of their customers.

Just thought I would pass on the compliment!!

cino321

I wanted to share a unpleasant experience I had when delivering to a doctor's office last week.

Doctor calls up a customer concern because something he had shipped (that I had picked up from him) contained hazmat's and he didn't ship it properly and it got RTS'd back to him because of that. Apparently that's my fault because I didn't tell him that he needed to be approved to ship hazmat's and they have to be properly labeled. I told him I would of informed him if I knew what the package contained.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

cino, I have made it a habit of asking my customers who ship on an irregular basis what is in the package that I am picking up. I had one last week where a consignee had dropped off a pkg with the ORM-D sticker still affixed. He was trying to return a power steering pump but, because of the ORM-D sticker, I couldn't pick up the pkg. This was at a Mail Boxes Etc and happens far too often because they will accept whatever any customer decides to leave there, be it a RTS (opened or not), or a P/U pkg. I also had another consignee try to ship a case of wine-- the only way I could tell is that the pkg "rattled" when I picked it up.

Anyway, back to the original thread, I have a medical office complex on my route and have found that I have to step it up a notch when I am delivering there. This is a professional environment, not the loading dock at WalMart, so I strive to be on my best behavior, especially when there are patients in the office(s). Of course, this doesn't mean that I can't flirt a little with the receptionist when the office is empty.

cino321

I agree Upstate, but I am a cover driver. This was a on-call air at 7 pm.

Oh and I flirt with all the receptionists.

kene1024

Hi all...I'm a first-time poster, but have been lurking for a while. I'm not a UPS employee, but I got interested in what was going on when I happened to run into that "package smasher" site, so I looked for more info (that was possibly less biased) about UPS.

Anyway, long story short - I work from home and also have a small part-time photography business (also at home). I get a lot of stuff shipped to me, and I also ship quite a bit (compared to the average residential customer, I would guess). A lot of high-value stuff too (think $3000 camera, $2000 lens, etc).

I have had stuff shipped to me via all the major carriers (USPS, Fedx, DHL and UPS), so I am familiar with the performance of each of them. I have found UPS to be the best in my area, specifically because of my driver.

Because of the photography set up I have, the front door of my house is not easily accessible from the inside, so I always use the driveway side door. I have a huge sign on the outside of the front door, saying 'Visitors - Please use side door'. The UPS driver is the only one who delivers my stuff to the side door - the other carriers toss it on the front stoop (where there is no shelter, BTW).

It's because of this UPS driver that I only ship stuff via UPS now, and if I have a choice I have all stuff shipped to me via UPS. In case anyone is wondering, in my area (Morton Grove, Illinois) I rate the shippers as follows (best to worst):

UPS
Fedex Express
USPS
DHL
Fedex Ground
Fedex Home Delivery (they suck)

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Have you ever thought to call the toll-free number to express your appreciation for the service that your driver provides? Consignees are quick to call when they have a concern but rarely take the time to compliment good service, such as your driver heeding your instructions and using your side door, which may seem like a small thing to the driver but obviously means a lot to you or you would not have mentioned it. 1-800-PICKUPS. Your driver will certainly appreciate it.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Have you ever thought to call the toll-free number to express your appreciation for the service that your driver provides?

Good point! I was helping one Saturday after our Peak 2006 blizzards when I trotted past two women shoveling their sidewalk. One called out, "You're brave to be out here in this weather!" I chuckled and called back, "Yeah, I know. You might call the toll-free number here," tapping the side of the car, "and tell them that." The older woman smiled and said, "We'll both do that for sure." I never saw them again or heard anything about a compliment. But I think they called. -Rocky

over9five

Staff member
"....or heard anything about a compliment."

I can back that up. Customers have told me they've called UPS to thank them for my service, but I've never heard about it either.

UPS does not want us to know that anybody appreciates us. They only spew their doom and gloom.

kene1024

Have you ever thought to call the toll-free number to express your appreciation for the service that your driver provides? Consignees are quick to call when they have a concern but rarely take the time to compliment good service, such as your driver heeding your instructions and using your side door, which may seem like a small thing to the driver but obviously means a lot to you or you would not have mentioned it. 1-800-PICKUPS. Your driver will certainly appreciate it.

I'll do that. Hopefully word will at least get back to his manager. He knows I appreciate his service anyway, because I have talked to him and also tipped him. UPS probably has some rule about not accepting tips, because he was very reluctant to take it, but I told him he delivers to me almost as frequently as the mailman, and the mailman expects a tip every Christmas.

It's just nice to know that my stuff will be in a reasonably dry, safe place when I go looking for it, instead of buried in snow in the front yard.

Fedex Ground delivers pet supplies to me, and the time before last, the box was left in the rain. The shipper uses some kind of packing material that looks like styrofoam peanuts, but smells like popcorn when it gets wet, and turns into a sticky mess. That was a lot of fun to unpack...

D

Dear Rodney

Hey fellas, I got a call in complement during peak because I cut across a backyard to get to a womans home. Her dead end street had not been plowed, so it was easier to walk it over than to get stuck!!! I was handed the message the next morning before the PCM it made me realize I did the right thing. This woman was very thankful to get her packages. I'll do about anything for a customer that treats me good. It is when they are ****** I won't go out of my way for them!!

rod

Retired 22 years
I wanted to share a pleasant experience I had today when visiting a new doctor's office.

After small talk about me, I mentioned I retired from UPS and the doctor said " UPS drivers are the most pleasant and seem to be much happier than other drivers that deliver to his office". And he also stated the drivers know how to take care of their customers.

Just thought I would pass on the compliment!!
The majority of male Doctors I've dealt with are arrogant A-holes that wouldn't give you the time of day unless they were charging you. Even worse when delivering to their homes. Unfortunatlely if a person values his health you have to deal with them. (Usually their trophy wives are easier to get along with):happy2:

feeder53

ADKtrails
I buy only from merchants who ship UPS, not because I work there, but they are the only ones that will work with me on the signature issue for some packages. I live in the country and work 35 miles away with no set hours and nobody home to sign for packages. I just received a new cell phone and Verizon happen to use FEDEX......I had to drive 46 miles each way to pick it up, no other option! I e-mailed Verizon and told them of my issue......no answer.

Channahon

Hey fellas, I got a call in complement during peak because I cut across a backyard to get to a womans home. Her dead end street had not been plowed, so it was easier to walk it over than to get stuck!!! I was handed the message the next morning before the PCM it made me realize I did the right thing. This woman was very thankful to get her packages. I'll do about anything for a customer that treats me good. It is when they are pricks I won't go out of my way for them!!
Dear Rodney,
Thanks for sharing your story, however, your post contains offensive language to members in the Cafe, particularly, female members. Please refrain from using this type of lanagage in the future. I would have private messaged you, but you are not registered.
Thanks for your coopreration.
Channahon