Documenting delays

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I really think that documenting delays is a great idea, when management thinks it is a great idea to document bogus 3 day rides, more than two safety rides a year, SPORH, backing events, idle time....etc

Had the company not outwardly challenged drivers by oversupervising, harrassing, intimidating ....drivers would not challenge management by keeping a diary to protect themselves.

Seems like very basic cause and effect.

Raw

Raw Member
Sorry menotyou, the only thing you get out of the office is - nothing. Its strictly enforced in my building.
Our OMS` work on drivers behalf because they know ties have high turnover and transfer out on regular basis! :happy-very:

Last edited:

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Not to be argumentative, but it is very easy to type a message, take a picture, delete the message without ever having sent the message.

Incorrect.

The format of the messages is different when they are sent from the office. At the very top of your DIAD screen it says "Text Message" and at the bottom of the screen it says "press BIG UP to return". It is impossible for a driver to type anything into the those fields when sending a message. Also, messages from the office contain both upper and lower case letters, as well as punctuation such as question marks and exclamation points, that cannot be duplicated by a DIAD.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Not to be argumentative, but it is very easy to type a message, take a picture, delete the message without ever having sent the message.

Not to be argumentative, I swear, :sick:but the diad also has screens that indicate the message is being sent/communication and when the message was done sending. Those can be documented as well as the actual text contained.

The time stamp will be fully visible on both screens.

You did not have to be so nitpickey and neither did I.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This brings up an interesting (to me) thought..

If management encourages, if not pushes -readily accepts/expects employees to use their personal phones on the job to make phone calls and "service" the package and perform their duties, rather than pulling over safely, grabbing the diad and performing all communications via DIAD (which is infinitely slower), as we know....

Can those same phones be used "performing duties" in the event of travel delays, road closures, detours, any "delay" ....safety hazards..falsified time cards...OR screens...SUPERVISORS WORKING...etc etc

Is there a double standard going on with that? :happy-very:

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

No, that's exactly what you were trying to be.

Incorrect.

The format of the messages is different when they are sent from the office. At the very top of your DIAD screen it says "Text Message" and at the bottom of the screen it says "press BIG UP to return". It is impossible for a driver to type anything into the those fields when sending a message. Also, messages from the office contain both upper and lower case letters, as well as punctuation such as question marks and exclamation points, that cannot be duplicated by a DIAD.

You are correct, but unlike UpState I wanted to wait and make sure when I got to work this morning.
Unfortunately he is one of those people, and there seems to be one in every group, who thinks they know more than everybody else.
The one to ask the question that can't be answered, the question that foils the initial comment.
He's the guy who turns a meaningless 3 minute PCM into an even more meaningless 10 PCM with their stupid questions and comments.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, that's exactly what you were trying to be.

You are correct, but unlike UpState I wanted to wait and make sure when I got to work this morning.
Unfortunately he is one of those people, and there seems to be one in every group, who thinks they know more than everybody else.
The one to ask the question that can't be answered, the question that foils the initial comment.
He's the guy who turns a meaningless 3 minute PCM into an even more meaningless 10 PCM with their stupid questions and comments.

Messages sent from the center cannot be deleted and responses to these messages will have the headings that sober referred to; however, messages which we start that are not a reply to an ODS can be entered, a picture taken and then deleted without being sent. This is what I was referring to.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
So let me get this straight, "this is a no delay method of documenting your day" and someone suggested that you do it while at a stop light or walking back to your truck. Your kidding right? I am sure the cute picture of the dogs wanting a treat was not delaying your day at all, did not see it on your documentation either. All that "time" at the stoplight and walking back to the truck belongs to UPS. Your lunch and break are yours. If I need to elaborate you do not know the methods and need to brush up on your S&V ride. In past posts the conversation has been they need to pay me to learn the safety "stuff" well guess what you could be doing with all that free time at the stop lights and walking back to the truck.

You are wasting your time, these are normal delays you expierence everyday on your route, it does not give you a free ticket to do whatever you want and get done when ever you want. How can I say that? Well every time we do a 1,2 or 3 day OJS on your route those same delays are experienced and we still manage to reduce your day. Gee I wonder how that could happen. If you are truly delayed then just tell your supervisor if asked. We have the right to ask you why you where delayed based off of Telematics. No different then being supervised in the building and we ask you what took so long.

So love it or hate it, telematics is here to stay and will be used to monitor your day.

All of you do yourself a favor - spend more time doing the job instead of figuring out ways not to do the job.

I'm done...
ok.. let me play devils advocate, first.., whats a 3 day ride?? in 28 yrs i have NEVER had one, also safety/production blah blah, those things dont effect me.. wanna know why, i run massive bonus , and everyone here knows how..Reality is ,you gotta balance this expectation, if you keep telling everyone you gotta do this and you gotta do that then expect overallowed and a loss of production

idrivethetruck

Slow & steady wins the race.
This brings up an interesting (to me) thought..

If management encourages, if not pushes -readily accepts/expects employees to use their personal phones on the job to make phone calls and "service" the package and perform their duties, rather than pulling over safely, grabbing the diad and performing all communications via DIAD (which is infinitely slower), as we know....

Can those same phones be used "performing duties" in the event of travel delays, road closures, detours, any "delay" ....safety hazards..falsified time cards...OR screens...SUPERVISORS WORKING...etc etc

Is there a double standard going on with that? :happy-very:
Bottom line...don't use your personal cell phone for UPS business unless they pay your bill. They "encourage" it because it saves them money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

ok.. let me play devils advocate, first.., whats a 3 day ride?? in 28 yrs i have NEVER had one, also safety/production blah blah, those things dont effect me.. wanna know why, i run massive bonus , and everyone here knows how..Reality is ,you gotta balance this expectation, if you keep telling everyone you gotta do this and you gotta do that then expect overallowed and a loss of production

I have to wonder what level of service your customers receive if you main concern is "running massive bonus".

Bottom line...don't use your personal cell phone for UPS business unless they pay your bill. They "encourage" it because it saves them money.

Using your personal cell phone for UPS business is your choice. I choose to as it makes me more efficient. I have a slow COD customer who I call ahead and she will then have all of the checks ready when I get there. I also use my cell phone to call consignees to get apartment numbers or other address clarifications. I very rarely have send agains or lookups.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
I'm done when the load is delivered and the car is back safely at the center.
My day is done by physical action and application, not words spoken to me.
After 25yrs driving and being an old 58yr fart, I can say to you, and all your kith and kind,
try and do what I do on a daily basis.
Yes, that is an open challenge.
Corp may be able to telematic me, but they can not teleport packages.
Maybe, the generation running this company watched too much Star Trek episodes in their youth.

Of we did find a way to teleport packages it would probably be a similar turn out to the movie "The Fly". If you recall that movie teleporting had a nasty end result.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

It saves me time and aggravation. My goal is to spend as little time at work as possible and not be agitated doing it. My phone bill is the same whether I use it at work or not.

hubrat

Squeaky Wheel
It saves me time and aggravation. My goal is to spend as little time at work as possible and not be agitated doing it. My phone bill is the same whether I use it at work or not.

In addition, I get a substantial discount on equipment and service from ATT as a result of my employment. While this doesn't obligate me to use my personal phone at work, it does help the whole thing seem less contentious. I'm with you. Whatever safely makes my job easier is fair game.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
When your sitting in front of a panel asking them to please not make you pay for a lost package you misdelivered due to you running massive bonus, let me know how that turns out for ya!! And you should hope that its only something like that that they teach you a lesson with and not a termination!!

soberups

I will only use my phone when there is an urgent need for timely communication with the center. I do not call customers to tell them they have a COD, and I do not call my pickups to ask them if they have anything to ship. The only customer who has my phone number is a guy who lives at the top of a 1600 ft mountain with a steep, half-mile long driveway. He gets a lot of packages and in the winter he will call and warn me if the snow is too deep for me to make it up to his house...in which case he will come and meet me in his 4x4 Suburban. I have actually called him on a couple of occasions when I got stuck in the snow, and he is more than happy to come and pull me out.

Last edited:

soberups

The notes I took today will probably come in handy tomorrow morning; I suspect that I will be called into the office to explain the 17 missed stops I brought back at 9:02. Its been over 15 years (except for major snow events) since I have had a dispatch that bad.