Documenting delays

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will only use my phone when there is an urgent need for timely communication with the center. I do not call customers to tell them they have a COD, and I do not call my pickups to ask them if they have anything to ship. The only customer who has my phone number is a guy who lives at the top of a 1600 ft mountain with a steep, half-mile long driveway. He gets a lot of packages and in the winter he will call and warn me if the snow is too deep for me to make it up to his house...in which case he will come and meet me in his 4x4 Suburban. I have actually called him on a couple of occasions when I got stuck in the snow, and he is more than happy to come and pull me out.

...and that is most certainly your choice. I also do not call pickups as that is not the level of service that they are paying for. I do several address corrections a week thanks to my cell phone.

menotyou

bella amicizia
...and that is most certainly your choice. I also do not call pickups as that is not the level of service that they are paying for. I do several address corrections a week thanks to my cell phone.

I'm sure the part-timer who is lucky to get 20 hours a week really appreciates you doing her job.
Wouldn't that be the mother of Jamie? The girl who worked in my center and quit because of the harassment from Psycho Susie? You know, the same Psycho Susie whose harassment of me ended up with me currently not working? The one I should leave alone because its not a soap opera?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm sure the part-timer who is lucky to get 20 hours a week really appreciates you doing her job.
Wouldn't that be the mother of Jamie? The girl who worked in my center and quit because of the harassment from Psycho Susie? You know, the same Psycho Susie whose harassment of me ended up with me currently not working? The one I should leave alone because its not a soap opera?

I know the customer appreciates my efforts, which is all that really matters.

Integrity

Binge Poster
menotyou,

Why are you currently not working?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I know the customer appreciates my efforts, which is all that really matters.
UpstatNYUPSer,

I appreciate your diligence and care about customer service.

I caution you, in all situations, the end doesn't justify the means to that end.

It is critical that the job is done right and the union contract is honored, even if the customer might not appreciate it in the short term.

In long run this will be better for the customers, the company and the workforce.

Sincerely,
I

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

UpstatNYUPSer,

I appreciate your diligence and care about customer service.

I caution you, in all situations, the end doesn't justify the means to that end.

It is critical that the job is done right and the union contract is honored, even if the customer might not appreciate it in the short term.

In long run this will be better for the customers, the company and the workforce.

Sincerely,
I

Yawn

bumped

Back on topic... I print out my manifest of my stops every morning. Since it has every delivery I have I make notes on that for ant delays or abnormalities throughout the day. I keep them all for about a month in a folder.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It must be nice delivering in the burbs. Try that in the city where most peoples last name are Vang, Lee, Xiong and the kids last name are different from their mom's.

As long as there is a phone number on the package it shouldn't matter what their last name is.

It is nice delivering in the burbs.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Back on topic... I print out my manifest of my stops every morning. Since it has every delivery I have I make notes on that for ant delays or abnormalities throughout the day. I keep them all for about a month in a folder.
Apparently, if you worked in Dragon's building, he wouldn't allow that.

pretzel_man

Thre is a driver in my local who was given a "3 day ride" and told that he had to maintain the performance demonstrated during those rides.

It was documented that his preloader was instructed by management to remove all irregs and all over 70's from the car during those three days. In addition, it has been documented that management intentionally removed several apartment complexes from the route during those three days. And, as usual, the load itself was "massaged" by a preload supervisor prior to the drivers start time. You know the routine...bulk stops organized, packages loaded perfectly in stop-for stop order, no misloads or missing pkgs, etc.

You guys arent trying to get a "fair days work from a fair days pay" out of us. You are trying to rip us off. Your allowances are intentionally rigged, and your entire business plan revolves around how many drivers you can screw out of their lunches and breaks thru intimidation, harassment, and selective "cherry picking" OJS rides in order to squeeze a few extra bucks out of your MIP bonus.

You created the work enviornment. So dont get your panties in a knot when we use the same documentation methods that you employ in order to protect ourselves.

What you described is an absolutely wrong thing for them to do. I am 100% against that.

When you say "you guys", that should mean YOUR management. I have never directed anyone to "massage" a three day ride. It is never an action that I would teach or condone. The cards should fall as they may.

Three day rides should be targeted at employees who have true performance issues and a load does not need to be massaged to demonstrate that.

I have seen countless cases where all it takes is one day on car with a driver to see the performance improvements. Three day rides just ensure a larger base.

So in the case where the load was "massaged", I agree that the ride(s) are invalid. I would think that would be easy to document.

Would you agree that when the load is NOT "massaged", a three day ride is a valid and fair way to document performance expectations?

menotyou

bella amicizia
What you described is an absolutely wrong thing for them to do. I am 100% against that.

When you say "you guys", that should mean YOUR management. I have never directed anyone to "massage" a three day ride. It is never an action that I would teach or condone. The cards should fall as they may.

Three day rides should be targeted at employees who have true performance issues and a load does not need to be massaged to demonstrate that.

I have seen countless cases where all it takes is one day on car with a driver to see the performance improvements. Three day rides just ensure a larger base.

So in the case where the load was "massaged", I agree that the ride(s) are invalid. I would think that would be easy to document.

Would you agree that when the load is NOT "massaged", a three day ride is a valid and fair way to document performance expectations?

I haven't seen a ride-along that wasn't massaged in my center. It has been reported to the DM. It has been reported to the Division Labor Manager. Still, they are massaged. So, based on the inaction of our DM, I am assuming it is condoned behavior.

Integrity

Binge Poster

pretzel_man,

I would agree. A three day ride is a valid and fair way to document what you may expect in a general way, + or -, from a given driver, in a given set of circumstances.

The measurement is only truly valid when the circumstances exactly match those that are encountered during the 3 day measurement or ride as it is called.

The human factor, credibility, character, work history of the driver and varying circumstances should always be given more weight when evaluating any significant deviations from the 3 day ride #'s.

Sincerely,
I