Does becoming a driver mean you have to learn how to drive stick?

rod

Retired 22 years
I learned when I was 12 in a 1949 Ford Farm truck that had so much torque you could have probably started out in 3rd gear with no problem.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Some manual P7 Freightliners absolutely needed 1st to be used. They were geared way too tall.

Our mechanic told us they had ceramic clutches, and slipping them that much would destroy them. He told us to basically dump it at idle in low and shift to first once rolling.

specter208

Manual is easy on these diesel trucks, you don't need any throttle in 1st gear, rev to 1000rpm and hit 2nd, 13-1500 is 3rd. You are already in 3rd gear at 15mph.

rod

Retired 22 years
I think it was the throw-out bearing gave out one time on my P800. I spent most all day starting it in 1st gear (kind of jerky but it worked). Once rolling it was no problem shifting without the clutch. When coming up to a red light I had to knock it out of gear-stop- kill the engine and pull it back into 1st at the very last second to be ready to start it in gear again. Fun times.

oldngray

nowhere special
I think it was the throw-out bearing gave out one time on my P800. I spent most all day starting it in 1st gear (kind of jerky but it worked). Once rolling it was no problem shifting without the clutch. When coming up to a red light I had to knock it out of gear-stop- kill the engine and pull it back into 1st at the very last second to be ready to start it in gear again. Fun times.
I had the clutch go out when I still had about 20 stops left. I could have nursed it along if I was almost done but too much busy traffic. I wasn't going to have an accident just to avoid a road call. Mechanic drove out in another package car and drove my old one back to the building.