Does everyone work tomorrow (Dec 26)

iruhnman630

The contract says seniority works, but nearly everybody in our building supports seniority choice.

Hence, I will most likely be working.

Overpaid Union Thug

If a junior driver requested off and it was approved but a senior driver didn't I would think the junior driver would prevail. I just wish I had bothered to put the pen to paper. I hate working on condensed route days.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Request off is just that a request. They can honor whoever they want on requests off. Cash I know that's how most places do it but I used that exact phrase at my last union meeting and my BA agreed.

CaptainObvious

day off for me tomorrow!! We needed 12 drivers!! So per the union they are forcing from the top down!! Has anyone heard of this? In my 13 years it has always been forced from bottom up!!

Seniority gives u the right to work. It doesn't give u the right not to work. So although most centers force bottom up there is nothing against doing it this way either.

We had a center manager who was out to make a name for himself chopping heads any chance he had any way he could. He played this card on us years ago also. His revenge for people refusing to take the ERI and not donating to United Way through UPS. Needless to say he is no longer with the company.
Things have been good in our building for the last five years. Not sure if I would call it the "bubble of goodness" but from what have seen over the last 22 years its pretty damn close.
Hope you all had a Merry Christmas!!!

Request off is just that a request. They can honor whoever they want on requests off. Cash I know that's how most places do it but I used that exact phrase at my last union meeting and my BA agreed.

If we're talking requested days off for a junior driver and a senior driver just up and wanting the day off, those that signed up will get the day off by seniority. Mr last minute decision will work.

Now if we're talking only putting in 1/2 the routes and needing drivers to run them I'll wish the junior driver a safe day on the road as I leave.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
We normally run around...88 routes. Tomorrow there's only 53 routes. There's going to be some busy drivers. Lot's of miles.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
We've got it in black and white in our supplement, voluntary time off must be offered in seniority order.

upsman68

We have 7500 pieces plus the air. 50 routes are in. I am going to assume it is spread out. I will probably be working and have stuff in the load that I have not done before.

Oh well

laffter

Our building normally sees something like 30-40,000 pieces a day off-peak. Today, I was told we got 16,000. Seven belts were condensed down to six. Most routes were extremely light. They ended up cutting a few more toward the end of the shift. I guess full timers are still guaranteed their eight a day, so they gave them something to deliver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our building normally sees something like 30-40,000 pieces a day off-peak. Today, I was told we got 16,000. Seven belts were condensed down to six. Most routes were extremely light. They ended up cutting a few more toward the end of the shift. I guess full timers are still guaranteed their eight a day, so they gave them something to deliver.

FTers are guaranteed their 8 unless they choose to work for hours (Code 05). With the condensed routes and pickups there will be very few 05's.

packageguy

Quick question, does all the UPS drivers work tomorrow. If I remember right, last year they didn't work on Dec 26th. I don't know if that had to do with Christmas being on a Sunday last year. The husbands center told the guys to come in like a regular work day and they would see from there how many drivers they need. My husband said if he is driving the 30 minutes to work then they better have a route from him.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas.

I took the day off today, I did lots on travel chistmas eve and christmas day, I have seniority so I took the day

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I'm just working your typical 10+ hour day after Xmas day. Preload didn't wrap until almost ten. I loaded 75% of my. Had 12 late air packages. Might miss some businesses and likely won't make it back to the air trailer. At 9:30 they were calling drivers trying to get them to come in after they had given them the day off two hours earlier. I'd say half the people working today are looking at 12-14 hour days.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I'm just working your typical 10+ hour day after Xmas day. Preload didn't wrap until almost ten. I loaded 75% of my. Had 12 late air packages. Might miss some businesses and likely won't make it back to the air trailer. At 9:30 they were calling drivers trying to get them to come in after they had given them the day off two hours earlier. I'd say half the people working today are looking at 12-14 hour days.
Are you sure you aren't at FedEx? This sounds like a FedEx fiasco...

wayfair

swollen member
48 deliveries, 30 pickups... I normally start pickups at 3:15, I had to call them all and let them know I'd be a couple hours early... clocked out at 3:08pm

jcohen

Ottawa Preloader
In Ottawa we were off for Dec 26 and on Dec 27 our preload is starting at 5 am vs 1:30 am which is what we started at during peak.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
The guy running part of my route called me today for directions to a new street and he told me it was decent delivery wise,but trying to make 50 pickups was going to be a killer