Does July 4th holiday count as paid day for benefits

Quigley

Your problem seems to be you think you have cornered the market on parenting. And if anybody does something that you dont agree with must be a fool. Its people like you that want to tell the rest of us what to eat, drink, smoke, watch on tv and spend our money. Get of your high horse, mind your own business and take care of your own family and stop worrying about everybody else.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your problem seems to be you think you have cornered the market on parenting. And if anybody does something that you dont agree with must be a fool. Its people like you that want to tell the rest of us what to eat, drink, smoke, watch on tv and spend our money. Get of your high horse, mind your own business and take care of your own family and stop worrying about everybody else.

Yawn.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I really don't believe the trip the OP gave his son (and if you were paying attention, he did something for his other kids also), was about the money. Most likely he wanted his son to have a good time to remember. Yeah, it was probably expensive, but a little more personal than an early Christmas present and the occasional tank of gas.

Foamer Pyle

It's not like I'm not taking any time off. I'm taking a week off the week of July 4th. He didn't ask for the trip, it was my idea just to show him how proud I am of him. I just want to know if the July 4th paid holiday will count as the paid day for the week as far as the healthcare is concerned.
Here, you must work the day before the holiday, or the day after, to get paid for the holiday. You are taking the entire week off, unpaid.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sent using BrownCafe App

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I give my kids each 5 grand plus per year towards college. Been doing this since 2006. Don't recall ever working through vacation.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
In no way I am trying to dictate what the OP does w ith his money or how he lives his life.

I am simply saying that I personally think he made a foolish decision and that a one week party in the Bahamas is a waste of money.

images-4.jpeg

bl04a

It amazes me that all I asked for was an answer to wether the July 4th holiday counted as a paid day towards our healthcare. I have raised 3 sons. My ages 22, 18, and 15. My oldest is a UPS driver like his father, the middle one is on his way to the Marine Corps. The youngest is an honor student in high school. I wasn't asking for advice on parenting. My sons have turned out to be fine young men, so I must be doing something right.
Johnnyfootball 2014, thanks for the compliment!!

Sent using BrownCafe App

P

pickup

New sliding doors for my deck is something that will add to the value of my home.

My son has been hired for a job which starts 9/2; unfortunately, he has been unable to find a part time job to tide him over until then and as a college student does not have a lot of money, so I gave him his Christmas present ($500) early and fill up his car for him whenever he comes home.

He is talking about taking the month of August and spending time traveling with friends before he starts work. I told him to have fun but that this trip would be entirely on his dime.

You made this thread about parenting advice, so here is some for you. Your son can't find a part time summer job. I get it that you live in Plattsburgh and that the SUNY college there being out of session in the summer puts a dint in the economic activity in the area and thus lessens your son's chances for a job.

However, it sounds like your son has already decided not to get a job for the summer and is planning to party in August. ( I can say "party", right? , you used that term for what the Original poster's son would do in the Dominican Republic, even though there was no indication of that) .

You say you are not paying for this road trip of his, but you already spent money for the gas, you have been giving it to him all along. If you had not been topping off his tank all this time, he would certainly have less money for the planned trip in August. Just sayin'.

By the way, there were plenty of sleep away summer camps in the downstate monticello area that would have hired him as a counselor. Not much money, but free food (which he would have had to pay for) and something to keep him busy and occupied. Again, just sayin'.

Good for the goose, good for the gander.

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

Now, Upstate, do I really care how you interact with your son? No, that's your business. How you spend your money is your business. The thread here wasn't "How should I spend my money?" It was about the 4th of July counting as a paid day for benefits.

I could have been more of a smart ass and asked if Papa John's went out of business(your son worked there, right?) or something about a young man pulling himself up by his own boot straps but i didn't . I hope I didn't have to, to make the point I am making.

bl04a

He didn't want to go to college after high school so I got him in pt at UPS after graduation. He was my helper for 3 peaks and is now 1 yeast into his 3 year progression as a driver. He's lucky, he got in under the old contract. No 4 year progression.

Sent using BrownCafe App