Does this mean I will start working ?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I worked as a seasonal helper thru Dec 24.. I said I was interested in working as a package handler in the hub and the HR person put my name on a list. Yesterday they called and asked me if I was interested in working morning shift starting 6:45am. I said yes and I was scheduled for a 'tour' Tuesday morning at 6:00am.. does that mean I will start working??
They don't just put your name on a list because you say you're interested. They put your name on a list because the driver said you did a decent job (like I did this year for my helper) and yes that gives you preference over someone from the outside.
However, just because you were called for a tour doesn't mean it's a done deal. When they have openings they call people in for a group tour. Applicants then often realize that after union dues and taxes they barely make like 20 bucks to work a shift and after gas to get to work they're left with $10-15 for the day.
After the tour, they'll then usually have an informal group interview, after which some people may be asked to stay for a 1-on-1 interview or be called back for a 1-on-1 interview another day when a supervisor is available.
If you get through all the interviews and they like you, you still have to pass a background check (not sure if they do another one this soon after doing one for driver helper).
Once you get through all that, they still might not call you for a couple weeks or a couple months. In summary, it's a good sign to get a call to come in and you have a better shot than someone who hasn't been a helper before.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
He does have a point.

There is a natural cycle that gets disrupted when employees choose, for whatever reason, to stay beyond their anticipated retirement dates.
I understand the sentiment, however the attitude of entitlement some people have is obnoxious. Smaller centers have less movement, but the wait to go driving is the lowest it's been in years in much of the country.

FiXiE.GuRL

Applicants then often realize that after union dues and taxes they barely make like 20 bucks to work a shift and after gas to get to work they're left with $10-15 for the day.

I guess they don't realize they could goto school for free, paid by UPS, and work another job too to supplement the money.

Tuition and the future health benefits are worth it to stay for me, then 4-5 years later you could have a BA and move on or if u get to bid, and get a Driver position go with that...

That's my goal.. ;-)

QKRSTKR

I understand the sentiment, however the attitude of entitlement some people have is obnoxious. Smaller centers have less movement, but the wait to go driving is the lowest it's been in years in much of the country.
We've had people with only 6 months go driving. I heard one person who only had his 30 days in. Go figure. Crazy times and times I thought I would never see.

barnyard

KTM rider
I guess they don't realize they could goto school for free, paid by UPS, and work another job too to supplement the money.

Tuition and the future health benefits are worth it to stay for me, then 4-5 years later you could have a BA and move on or if u get to bid, and get a Driver position go with that...

That's my goal.. ;-)

Tuition reimbursement varies greatly by location. I do not know of any outstate buildings in my area that get it.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
If these old greedy :censored2:s would retire there would be plenty of driver jobs available. Our center has 11 drivers eligible for retirement. But they still keep working.
I think I'll work an extra year just to spite you, yeah right.
stock-illustration-7685885-grumpy-santa-claus-making-a-funny-face.jpg

ChrisTheBrown

If these old greedy :censored2:s would retire there would be plenty of driver jobs available. Our center has 11 drivers eligible for retirement. But they still keep working.
I'm very sorry to hear that, that hurts to hear, but I guess they can choose to hang up the boots whenever they want..

Sent using BrownCafe App

Nick9075

Thanks for the replies. I went on the tour of the hub and they showed us the sorting areas and stuff.
I got a second interview later this week this is with the sort manager. What questions will he ask and how should I answer.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Thanks for the replies. I went on the tour of the hub and they showed us the sorting areas and stuff.
I got a second interview later this week this is with the sort manager. What questions will he ask and how should I answer.
Ask your mother what you should wear to the interview.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
We've had people with only 6 months go driving. I heard one person who only had his 30 days in. Go figure. Crazy times and times I thought I would never see.
Hell, our new center manager has only been a driver for 3 months before they were asked if they wanted to be a center manager. Six months here would probably get you a business manager spot. A year and you'd be looking at vice president of some division.

new_upserMA

Hell, our new center manager has only been a driver for 3 months before they were asked if they wanted to be a center manager. Six months here would probably get you a business manager spot. A year and you'd be looking at vice president of some division.

Another question I was going to ask. If I work hard and really bust my ass can I get additional hours or be made full time?

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Another question I was going to ask. If I work hard and really bust my ass can I get additional hours or be made full time?
Oh you will definitely be working hard and bustin ass at this job. Don't know about the FT thing in your area, you'll have to ask someone there. If you get into a driving spot you will be begging for less hours not more.

Good luck out there.

browner89

so what should I do so I can get in?? The driver I worked with gave good feedback.. I always met him 10 minutes early did whatever he asked

You may or may not have an advantage in the hiring process from your seasonal work.

You also sound like you want to work, but you'll still be part of the tour with a bunch of other people. After the tour they'll ask if you're still interested, you sound like you are. Say yes.

If you were a good worker during peak you'll probably be the first name on the list unless half of the tour happen to be seasonals who were better workers than you.

Nick9075

Thanks so what types of questions will the sort manager whom I am meeting with ask me ? This interview is at 5am in the morning.
Is it possible to work additional hours since the preload shift is only 5 hours.

PT Car Washer

Thanks so what types of questions will the sort manager whom I am meeting with ask me ? This interview is at 5am in the morning.
Is it possible to work additional hours since the preload shift is only 5 hours.
Most likely will ask what your name is and if you are ready to go to work. You will be kicked out after 3 hours and the PT sup will finish up your job. Extra hours go by seniority and you have none. Get your 30 days in and we can talk again. Best of luck and hang in there. There is a good reason for the high turnover rate as you are about to find out why.