Does this mean I will start working ?

new_upserMA

Most likely will ask what your name is and if you are ready to go to work. You will be kicked out after 3 hours and the PT sup will finish up your job. Extra hours go by seniority and you have none. Get your 30 days in and we can talk again. Best of luck and hang in there. There is a good reason for the high turnover rate as you are about to find out why.

I had the interview and it went almost like you state. I haven't gotten any call back today so does that mean that I was not selected ? There were 16 people on the tour then I guess they had about 4 or 5 people a day do an interview with one of the managers during the rest of this week. Btw the preload shift is 5 hours so why would they only have a new person work 3 hours a day.
Extra hours go by seniority so does that mean once you have been working 6 months and doing well you can potentially work a full 8 hours if needed?

specter208

I had the interview and it went almost like you state. I haven't gotten any call back today so does that mean that I was not selected ? There were 16 people on the tour then I guess they had about 4 or 5 people a day do an interview with one of the managers during the rest of this week. Btw the preload shift is 5 hours so why would they only have a new person work 3 hours a day.
Extra hours go by seniority so does that mean once you have been working 6 months and doing well you can potentially work a full 8 hours if needed?
Sometimes the HR people take a while to make decisions on who to hire. What I would do is if you have the HR number or don't mind driving to the center, ask to speak with the hiring manager and remind them that you want to work. As for the extra hours, the higher seniority employees will have first dibs on those if and when they are offered.

browner89

The only time you'll get 8+ hours in most centers is from Black Friday until the first week of January, outside of that 6.5 hours is pushing it for a busy Monday.

HR is also slow.

Seniority has nothing to do with how good you do either, it is simply how long you've been there, you'll have the option of working longer than those with lower seniority and be forced to leave before those with more.

And as far as not working the entire shift, UPS doesn't need you for it. There is only so much work to go around and Supervisors look better to their CMs the less people they have getting paid. As soon as they can kick someone out they will in order to look good.

The only time you'll get 8+ hours in most centers is from Black Friday until the first week of January, outside of that 6.5 hours is pushing it for a busy Monday.

HR is also slow.

Seniority has nothing to do with how good you do either, it is simply how long you've been there, you'll have the option of working longer than those with lower seniority and be forced to leave before those with more.

And as far as not working the entire shift, UPS doesn't need you for it. There is only so much work to go around and Supervisors look better to their CMs the less people they have getting paid. As soon as they can kick someone out they will in order to look good.
And the new guy on probation is the last one who well be complaining or filing a grievance. Most likely glad to get out of this nuthouse early until you get the hang of the job. Working 8 hours on the preload with one 10 minute break is a real beating.

root

Calm down, i'll handle it
I guess they don't realize they could goto school for free, paid by UPS, and work another job too to supplement the money.

Tuition and the future health benefits are worth it to stay for me, then 4-5 years later you could have a BA and move on or if u get to bid, and get a Driver position go with that...

That's my goal.. ;-)

Oh hell yes!
Great point!

new_upserMA

"""I guess they don't realize they could goto school for free, paid by UPS, and work another job too to supplement the money.

Tuition and the future health benefits are worth it to stay for me, then 4-5 years later you could have a BA and move on or if u get to bid, and get a Driver position go with that...

That's my goal.. ;-)"""

-------------------------------------

And if you already have a BA degree then what? will you be not be hired because you are considered 'overqualified'??

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Is it possible to work additional hours since the preload shift is only 5 hours.

The number of hours you will work will vary among work group, shifts, building, region, etc. On my shift, most persons work 17.5-22 hours per week; a handful of higher seniority employees approach 25. Here, additional work opportunities are competitive. Another building, about 30 miles from mine, works their Preloaders 25-30 hours per week. The building is space constrained, so UPS is limited in its ability to add staff and thus starts them earlier.

When they have openings they call people in for a group tour. Applicants then often realize that after union dues and taxes they barely make like 20 bucks to work a shift and after gas to get to work they're left with $10-15 for the day.

Slight exaggeration. The job pays $10 per hour, so a typical employee would earn $35-$40 per shift. About 10% will be withheld for Federal Income Tax, 7.65% for FICA and up to 5% for state/local tax. So that's closer to $27-$31 take home per shift in the worst-case scenario. If UPS is your sole job, you'll get most of your FIT back when you file your return; if it is not, you may owe a little bit more. Gas is $1.50-$2.00 per gallon (outside of CA, NY, etc.) Most new employees will make it to work & home on a gallon of gas (and some two days) so that brings us down to $25.50-$29 per shift.

Union dues are 2 hours per month for employees making $12/hr or less. So that's $20 per month (and not applicable if you're in a RTW state). Union initiation varies widely around the country... in some locals, it's waived for PT employees, in others it's discounted. It's typically $200-$300, although there are some that go as high as $500 or more. These are typically deducted at $25/week, and not at the same time as the dues.

So while there can be some pain while initiation is being deducted... new employees make more than you think, especially if they're at $11/hour.

How dare they go to work.

Boomers not retiring "when they're suppose to" is a problem in this country, especially with blue collar wages continuing their downward spiral. I work with a 70-year-old... him and his wife (not a UPSer) continue to work, despite the fact that they can collect over $120,000 per year in pension & social security payments (that's not factoring 401K) -- much of it not subject to Federal or state taxes. Yet he continues to work, whining if he's not off the clock in 8 hours... and whining about his 40-year-old kid who can't get a decent job. Meanwhile, the average PT->FT list is how long???

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yet he continues to work, whining if he's not off the clock in 8 hours... and whining about his 40-year-old kid who can't get a decent job. Meanwhile, the average PT->FT list is how long???
These days? Not long at all.

You're entitled to your opinion, and people are entitled to work until they wish to retire.

browner89

You're entitled to your opinion, and people are entitled to work until they wish to retire.

I agree, while it is annoying for those waiting, he had to wait at one point too most likely and he is completely entitled to continue to work if its what he wants to do.

I would never expect someone (that I don't know at all) to quit their job for me, that's just silly.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

There are very few jobs left in this country in which you can earn a modest income without highly specialized skills. FT at UPS is one of them. And it's not just a modest income... there's a lot of ignorance on these forums in regards to that the average person earns $100,000 per year at their place of employment, that the average person has a great pension and that the average person has better (and cheaper) benefits than a UPSer.

Yes, we're entitled to our opinions. But that doesn't change the fact that #1) Boomers not retiring is a problem in our shaky job market. We have plenty of comments (including some of yours IIRC) that suggest that persons who are un/underemployed could walk into a FT driving type job easily, when it's not true.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Yes, we're entitled to our opinions. But that doesn't change the fact that #1) Boomers not retiring is a problem in our shaky job market. We have plenty of comments (including some of yours IIRC) that suggest that persons who are un/underemployed could walk into a FT driving type job easily, when it's not true.
I've never said easily. I worked 2 jobs for years getting 2-3 hours sleep a day putting in my time to be a driver. What I've posted in the past is that becoming a driver is just a waiting game and takes persistence, patience and a good work ethic. Virtually anyone can be a UPS driver if they're willing to be persistent and put in their time.

What I have said is that the young people of today are the "me" generation, many of whom lack a good work ethic. That being said...not everyone is defined by their generation.

I've just remembered that posting with you is like going back and forth with Austin so I'm going to stop here before I get sucked into the vortex.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I've never said easily. I worked 2 jobs for years getting 2-3 hours sleep a day putting in my time to be a driver. What I've posted in the past is that becoming a driver is just a waiting game and takes persistence, patience and a good work ethic. Virtually anyone can be a UPS driver if they're willing to be persistent and put in their time.

What I have said is that the young people of today are the "me" generation, many of whom lack a good work ethic. That being said...not everyone is defined by their generation.

I've just remembered that posting with you is like going back and forth with Austin so I'm going to stop here before I get sucked into the vortex.

That's fine, and we're entitled to our opinions, but many of the comments you've written are short sighted.

The "me" generation (Millennials) that you've pointed out is larger than that of the Baby Boomers. The largest number of Millennials were born in the latter half of the 1990s and are now joining the work force. So... you have a large number of people joining the work force, but few exiting it (because Boomers are choosing not to retire, for whatever reason). What do you think is going to happen? That doesn't even begin to consider the weak economy, outsourcing, and the general decrease in real compensation over the past 20 years (UPS drivers are a big exception). Heck, I'm a(n older) Millennial, and when I was 16 I worked at a grocery store for $7.50/hour; the same store today pays $7.25 -- 16 years later... but the point is, the number of Boomers not retiring IS negatively impacting the economy. They have a right to work... but like I said, that doesn't change the fact that they're preventing the "me" generation from getting good paying jobs.

That's fine, and we're entitled to our opinions, but many of the comments you've written are short sighted.

The "me" generation (Millennials) that you've pointed out is larger than that of the Baby Boomers. The largest number of Millennials were born in the latter half of the 1990s and are now joining the work force. So... you have a large number of people joining the work force, but few exiting it (because Boomers are choosing not to retire, for whatever reason). What do you think is going to happen? That doesn't even begin to consider the weak economy, outsourcing, and the general decrease in real compensation over the past 20 years (UPS drivers are a big exception). Heck, I'm a(n older) Millennial, and when I was 16 I worked at a grocery store for $7.50/hour; the same store today pays $7.25 -- 16 years later... but the point is, the number of Boomers not retiring IS negatively impacting the economy. They have a right to work... but like I said, that doesn't change the fact that they're preventing the "me" generation from getting good paying jobs.
We Boomers are just now starting to reach retirement age. I just turned 59 last month and as long as my health is good I intend to keep working a few more years or more. You can be sure we all will be retiring sooner then later.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
We Boomers are just now starting to reach retirement age. I just turned 59 last month and as long as my health is good I intend to keep working a few more years or more. You can be sure we all will be retiring sooner then later.

The oldest Boomers are a decade older than you -- and that group accounts for the majority of the Boomers. Acceleration of retirement has picked up, but it's still well below historical trends. It's also noticeably low in higher paying jobs...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This Boomer just turned 54 yesterday and will retire on the first day that he is eligible (7/1/2018).

When I first started we had a few drivers who would stay beyond their 30 years---today everyone leaves as soon as they can.

browner89

This Boomer just turned 54 yesterday and will retire on the first day that he is eligible (7/1/2018).

When I first started we had a few drivers who would stay beyond their 30 years---today everyone leaves as soon as they can.

Completely OT but your new avatar is perfect. ;) (not that your old had anything wrong!)

O

OLDMAN3

Boomers are not retiring because Social Security can no longer be counted on. People are also living longer and it takes a great deal more money to retire at 55 or 60 if you project a longer lifespan. Also how many jobs offer a secure pension these days?

Early retirement is simply not a realistic goal for most Boomers given the longer lifespans, and the pension/ Social Security issues.