Dog bite to the face

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, the professional trainer that has his "dog whisperer" show does not have a clue on how to truely train a dog. All he does is attempt in the short term to use dominance for control. What he forgets in the animal kingdom, as well in the human history, dominance is constantly challanged, and if you are not the one exerting that dominance, there is no control. So that is why many dogs that actually are trained that way, when the owners back is turned, do what happened here.

I have had dog owners sic their dogs on me. In this state, that is assault with a deadly weapon. If the dog bites, it becomes assault and battery with a deadly weapon.

The only real dog expert I have ever seen was one I did a project for in Alexandria VA. Your Dogs Best Friend. Now, his method is as near perfection as you can get. The owners are responsible, they get their dog trained by someone that actually looks at training from a dogs view, instead of what has been trickled down from security dog training. IF you can imagine a room full of 100 dogs, all getting along peacefully without any human intervention besides scooping up the dog piles. No cages, no pepper spray, nothing. And they all get along for hours on end. Now that is real training. And when I entered, it hardly was noticed by the dogs. YEs, they saw me, but none ever ran up to me, or jumped on my legs or chest......Now that is true training, not some serial TV mumbojumbo from california.

I must say there is one other dog expert, my daughter. A few years back, there was a stray dog that came onto the property, and for some reason singled out Steven, one of my employees. At the time, there were 5-6 guys there, all with shovels, rakes etc trying to keep the dog from biteing steve. His version is that he was trying to kick the dog, when he heard a large boom from behind him. The dog fell back, but then got back up to charge again. Again, another huge boom. The dogs head ceased to exist. He turned around, and there was my 15 year old daughter with the 12 Guage.

I remember when I got the call, as I was out delivering. I dont know if I ever posted I am very proud of my daughter, and have taught her to take care of herself.

One last thing, there are a lot of people that own dogs. The majority have no business ever having some living creature that they own or take care of. And that goes for their children as well.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I must say there is one other dog expert, my daughter. A few years back, there was a stray dog that came onto the property, and for some reason singled out Steven, one of my employees. At the time, there were 5-6 guys there, all with shovels, rakes etc trying to keep the dog from biteing steve. His version is that he was trying to kick the dog, when he heard a large boom from behind him. The dog fell back, but then got back up to charge again. Again, another huge boom. The dogs head ceased to exist. He turned around, and there was my 15 year old daughter with the 12 Guage.

I remember when I got the call, as I was out delivering. I dont know if I ever posted I am very proud of my daughter, and have taught her to take care of herself.

One last thing, there are a lot of people that own dogs. The majority have no business ever having some living creature that they own or take care of. And that goes for their children as well.

d
That was quick thinking and quick actinng on your daughters part. You should be proud of her. :happy2: ​I can't say that I would have acted any differently.

whenIgetthere

Doorbells set them off !!!

I learned this from an animal psychiatrist from Tufts University in Gardner, Mass. Dogs attack mailmen, UPS, Fedex etc. because we 'invade' their space without acknowledging them. Of course in this case, there is nothing the driver could do to avoid such a viscious attack. When he explained it to me, it made sense, but he also said there is no excuse for a dog who has any inkling to attack to be let near delivery people, or anyone else other than the owners. I've been bitten three times delivering for Fedex, thankfully none was serious. And once walking my own dog, we were mauled by four pit-bulls in the neighborhood, My dog had 75 stitches, I had twenty, and I sued the owner and won. Those dogs were loose and jumped my dog from behind, we never saw or heard them coming, I got bit multiple times punching and kicking them, and their owner tried to get me to pay his vet bill because I broke about a half dozen ribs on his dogs from hitting them! The police quarantined those dogs, but didn't force them to be put down, so I carry a gun when I walk the dog in the neighborhood now, since I live in a concealed carry state! Contact that lawyer, I did and it worked out for me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Where did dog owners ever get the notion that it is acceptable to let their dogs out on perfect strangers?

The ones that I don't understand are those who think their dogs are more important than humans. I have a couple of customers who fall in this category and it has gotten to the point with them that I don't even knock anymore. I used to knock, stand there and wait for them to answer the door, but they took so much time securing their dog(s) that now I simply put the packages by the door and head on to the next stop. Their dogs let them know that I am there.

Johney

The ones that I don't understand are those who think their dogs are more important than humans. I have a couple of customers who fall in this category and it has gotten to the point with them that I don't even knock anymore. I used to knock, stand there and wait for them to answer the door, but they took so much time securing their dog(s) that now I simply put the packages by the door and head on to the next stop. Their dogs let them know that I am there.
Why would you stand there and wait? Didn't you here 1 second of wasted time cost the company $333,333?:wink2:

CharleyHustle

UpstateNYUPSer;903985 I simply put the packages by the door and head on to the next stop. Their dogs let them know that I am there.[/QUOTE said:
Agreed, I have a customer that asked why I didn't ring the bell, I responded that every time I do you let your dog out on me.

Can we get an A-Men that invisible fences are the bane of every delivery person out there.

Box_Junkie

whenIgetthere;903899 Contact that lawyer said:
As I said before, I'm not one to get the law and courts involved unless I have to, but with the way the lady acted in my case (no compassion, no follow up to see if I'm ok) and the fact that I know she would sue me if the tables were turned its not a hard decision. it doesn't hurt that I'm bitter about the fact that she let the dog get out a second time to go after me! Seriously? Why the **** would you not contain the dog before opening the door again?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
First off, you are suing the lady, but who pays the claim? She has insurance to cover the injury on her property. And the insurance company will try to settle out of court. But usually for pennies of what the claim should be. I would contact one of the better lawyers and let them handle it. And when her insurance calls, refer them to the lawyer.

Be aware that UPS will also sue the woman and her insurance. They want to recoup the worker comp costs. And they will, every last cent, I promise. So if you sue or not, she will be sued.

Owners of dogs that behave this way are always liable for the resulting damage when they bite someone. And just because they put the dog down does not eliminate their responsibility to the injured party.

As for living in an area where you feel the need to carry a gun because of the dog problem, not all dogs are four legged, and the two legged kind get around to even the most secure areas these days.

d

robot

Has A Large Member
I had a dog almost attack me once on route. I was walking up the hill to DR a package, large estate, a good 2-3 minute walk to the front door. Halfway to the door i see a large black dog running towards me with some guy chasing after it yelling 'don't move!'. i stop dead in my tracks holding the package out in front of me. the dog leaps at me and grabs the package out of my hand and starts ripping it to shreds. the man finally catches up and tackles the dog and tells me 'don't worry i got him'.

kinda wish it did bite me. that man had an awesome lakeside home.

Box_Junkie

Oh I didnt clarify I guess. I am suing I was just going through my thought process about it. I meet with the lawyer in a week. And danny you explained it just how the attorney had.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Agreed, I have a customer that asked why I didn't ring the bell, I responded that every time I do you let your dog out on me.

Can we get an A-Men that invisible fences are the bane of every delivery person out there.
Yes invisible fence. Last time I was on the porch of one of those proud owners, as I walked briskly in the neighbors yard to get away......

whenIgetthere

I don't think I would want to live where I would feel the need to carry a gun just to walk my dog. Just sayin'...

Actually, I live in a very safe neighborhood. But like someone else said, four and two legged animals are everywhere now. I carry the weapon because those four pit bulls still live in the neighborhood. I saw one of them loose one day when I came home from work (Fedex), and since we're not allowed to be armed while working or on company property, I leave my weapon home. I grabbed my baseball bat and the dog ran for home. I called the sherriff, to no avail again.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Lots of people carry walking sticks or golf clubs or pepper spray here...........skunk, raccoon, fox, brazen coyote and other critters are all around just before sun up.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I meet with the lawyer in a week. And danny you explained it just how the attorney had.
Aint it funny how you learn about stuff through the school of hard knocks? Been bit myself, and been the loooooser. Once I learned how the game was played, and that I was played......

Sometimes you learn things to late to help yourself. BUt you can always help others.

d

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My daughter works at a call center for an insurance company. She told me about a call she received yesterday which upset her. It was a slip and fall in which the insured badly injured his left hand. He hired a lawyer. The insurance company offered him a settlement with the stipulation that he dismiss his lawyer. In her words, the company said "they would take care of him", which the insured understood to mean that they would pay his medical bills in addition to the settlement. Sadly this was not the case, which he would have realized had he read the paperwork before accepting and cashing the $2K settlement check. He must now pay for his own medical care, which could be substantial as he lost 15% of the mobility in the hand.

My point? Hire a lawyer and let him/her do their job. Refer all phone calls to the lawyer. Listen to the lawyer.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When I was a new driver, delivering in areas I wasnt familiar with, I had a 6-cell Mag Light flashlight hanging off of my belt at all times. It was a great tool for finding address numbers in the dark, and an even better tool for thumping aggressive dogs over the head with. A 6-cell Mag Light is essentially a war club with a light bulb on one end, and they are heavy enough to crush a dogs skull. Fortunately, I never had to hit a dog with mine but I did have a few close calls. I have my own route now, and since I know all of the dogs I leave the Mag Light at home and go forth each day armed only with a pocket full of doggie biscuits.