DOK

P

pickup

They can't do nothing but keep giving you a hard time. It's easier to learn the crap and then they will stop bothering you and move on to the next person.

But some people would rather take the hard road and get harassed about it all the time.
The above sums it up pretty well. It's not hard to learn this at all. In one sitting, you probably won't get it. Over a long period of time with just focusing on one point.
Just leave that yellow laminated card on your dashboard and focus on one thing a day.

Tomorrow is the 10th , so just focus on "Use Of Mirrors" which is the 10th point of the 10 point commentary.
On the 11th , focus on the first one, " When stopped in traffic". , you go through the calendar and you build a skeleton of this body of knowledge, then the muscle , etc. You will then build the nerves and you will see the connections between many points of the 10 point commentary and the 5 seeing habits.

I admit that in the real world that these things aren't 100 percent applicable at times , but they can provide the difference between an accident and a close call.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Same reason those sissy soap opera girls get off on girlie drama at work instead of worrying about the real problems at work. The loaders suck, the dispatchers suck, the dol sucks, the edd sucks, not enough drivers or trucks, drivers getting whooped like dogs everyday, starting too late, getting home too late, harassment for make believe standard numbers which aren't real. Im on a roll I better stop aint got enough room on this page to type it all. GOTTA LOTTA MORE FOR YA BALBOA lol.

Marne Vet

I've been working safe for 20 years, and most of those years we didn't even have the DOK. Why would knowing it now make me any more safe than I already am? It won't, so I don't put a lot of effort into it. I worry more about the crap I have to deal with on the road, and not about whether or not I'll have to stand in front of an auditor and repeat the 10 point commentary verbatim.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
You want to learn it well enough to keep management off your back. But, you need to make a few mistakes, so your not hand picked for the auditors. I haven't answers the questions for an auditor for 10 years.

I havent seen an auditor in 10 years. Just last week management was spreading fear amongst the ignorant telling them that this Keter outfit was only 90 miles from our building and we should be ready. The next day it was "we'll message you when we find out where they are, because they're close!"

Sure enough at 11:00 the board lights up with the message "Keter is in Ohio today".

Ohio is 400 miles west of here.

Idiots.

Auditing your DOK only shows your ability to memorize. That reflects nothing towards safety.

If they wanted a true DOK they would treat it as a pop quiz. Ask a driver" You're in this situation. What do you do?". That answer will show that the knowledge is there when it's needed.

Here, we only need to show "demonstrative knowledge".

upschuck

Auditing your DOK only shows your ability to memorize. That reflects nothing towards safety.

If they wanted a true DOK they would treat it as a pop quiz. Ask a driver" You're in this situation. What do you do?". That answer will show that the knowledge is there when it's needed.

Here, we only need to show "demonstrative knowledge".
We had a guy who was handed a package and was asked to show how do you pick this up, he dropped the package, then proceeded to properly pick up the package. He still failed it because they want to see him lay the package down properly. Most other people failed due to not laying it down right, and he knew that.

We had a guy who was handed a package and was asked to show how do you pick this up, he dropped the package, then proceeded to properly pick up the package. He still failed it because they want to see him lay the package down properly. Most other people failed due to not laying it down right, and he knew that.

In our group they'd have to explain what a package was first.

brownrod

I know my stuff but we have some guys that cant get it word for word.What can they do to you for not knowing it?

My experience? they do nothing. Or the keep asking and coaching you through it until you get it.

I used to know it verbatim. Now I only think about it on my yearly ride and have forgotten half of it. They just keep asking all day until you finally have it down.

jim_flint

They tried this on me, I walked over to a desk and plopped it down and picked it back up. "What was that?" "Using existing equipment and facilities."

Our building has built recognition programs to reward union members for memorizing safety information and for demonstrating said information. I have personally been ordered to fire someone for outright refusing to do it but not never for getting answers wrong. Basically as long as you make an effort you are fine.
-from a part time sup

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
And when they get sued for wrongful termination maybe they will get the picture lol. The real big picture on the news and in the USA TODAY LOL.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
The soap opera queens in the center should worry about the real problems, sucky loaders trained by sucky pt supes, sucky dispatch, sucky dol, sucky edd, well ill stop there. It all sucks lol.

Our building has built recognition programs to reward union members for memorizing safety information and for demonstrating said information. I have personally been ordered to fire someone for outright refusing to do it but not never for getting answers wrong. Basically as long as you make an effort you are fine.
-from a part time sup

Uh......yea. Tell you what. Go get me a copy of the TDP report and I'll see about that DOK, mmmkay?