Dollies ugh!

Buck Fifty

Didn't that have something to do with older drop frames?

dollyparton18_07_v_e.jpg

why yes I believe it did !

A

anonymous6

Thanks for the replies. I do turn them on right. It's more of a hiss than I want. Hooked up on the door waiting for the sort to go down ill loose all my air pressure.

Dracula, the shop at this hub is a freaking joke. It i drag the set back to the shop they'll just tell me it will take to long to fix might as well go get another dolly and start over. Your right though, it's easy $$$$. Sometimes it's nice to get out of there though, especially Saturday morning.

My new plan is gonna be to sit by the Dollie pile and wait for drop offs, less chance of something being wrong. May also have my meet driver stash Dollie he brings back which is the Dollie I brought in from my origin day before. If I broke my set every time and put the trailers on doors I'd never give up my Dollie. The loads I bring to hub are bypass, except they sometimes top off front trailer.

Origin would be where a load is originally from and where my day starts, for those of you who don't know your head from your :censored2:.

99.5% of our mechanics are the best! that's my observation from over 30 years. they are probably telling the truth if they tell you to switch out dollies sometimes. it could take awhile and they don't need the stress of a driver and maybe a supervisor watching over their shoulder worrying about hot loads.

I think you just ran into a bad patch. it happens. like I said in a previous post, check and find a recent FHWA. another thing I do is when on vacation I bring the mechanics pizza and soda . I really appreciate them trying to keep me alive as I have very little mechanical ability. they treat me real well.

MaceFremonti

I was pulled into the office recently concerning my start work times and why it takes me 30+ minutes to build a set. I said that I like to use dollies that are in good shape and not ones that look like they came all the from Siberia across Russia down through Alaska and through Canada to get here.

I was told as long as they pass pretrip they are good to go.

I said I didnt like using ones that are out of alignment with the cupped and uneven tires on them.

They said what do you want? Armour All and fresh paint? As long as they are Inflated, have no cuts and are in good Condition, and have tread Depth they are fine.

I just said OK and went about my business.

Still look for good ones in the morning!

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I was pulled into the office recently concerning my start work times and why it takes me 30+ minutes to build a set. I said that I like to use dollies that are in good shape and not ones that look like they came all the from Siberia across Russia down through Alaska and through Canada to get here.

I said I didnt like using ones that are out of alignment with the cupped and uneven tires on them.

They said what do you want? Armour All and fresh paint? As long as they are Inflated, have no cuts and are in good Condition, and have tread Depth they are fine.

Well, get used to the questions about how long it takes to set up and break down. In this regard, feeders is just as bad as package car. And the feeder time allowances are positively ridiculous. Pre-trip a tractor and hook up a single? 19 minutes. Pre-trip and build a set? 33 minutes. They will talk to you about safety, but these numbers are the only language they speak.

You won't be able to get away with continually swapping out dollies you don't like, but if your thorough pre-trip finds a problem, don't leave until the problem is corrected. Get completely familiar with the DOT requirements for all of your equipment. Do all of your valve stems have caps? They're required to. A lot of drivers don't check or don't fix it. A lot of drivers don't check their hoses real close for bubbles and cuts. Check to make sure all trsailers and dollies have the proper paperwork in the kingboxes. More importantly, make sure all of this is part of your pre-trip every single time.

A wise driver with a lot of experience told me to keep a daily log. Anytime, ANYTHING delays you, write it down. Have to wait on a door, write it down. Have to take a little time fixing a glad hand leak, write it down. If you get caught behind others in the yard, write it down. That way, when they bring you into the office, you have a record of everything. After a while, my sups knew whenever they pulled me into the office that my book was coming in with me, and I had answers if there were any delays. Just be sure they don't get you writing in your book when you're just sitting in your tractor. They will ask when you wrote in your book. Always tell them, "On my break."

Most important-IMO-is find a good routine and stick to it, every time. If they push you about on-property times, and you feel rushed, that's when mistakes happen.

balland chain

I have come to loathe Friday nights Saturday mornings. I always seem to grab a bad Dollie at my turn. The set I bring in sometimes stays together and even if not I leave the Dollie for my meet driver. No big deal as I usually have sort delay anyways.

I pretrip dollies good. The problem I've had in my 3 months in feeders so far are dollies that have a valve stuck open. This morning I get set hooked, turn on air to rear, crank legs up and come back by Dollie to hear air escaping from underneath the frame. Pisses me off, there is no way to check for that. But my question is am I doing something wrong. The leak today was under the driver side of Dollie right in the middle. I just don't know. Feel like its me cause out of all the dollies to choose I seem to pick the 1 out of a 100 that's bad. It's been at least 3 times I've had this on a Saturday morning.

thanks.

You are doing nothing wrong..The driver who pulled that dolly last failed to do a post trip. Some feeders drivers get very lazy and don't complete their job. It sucks I know especially on a cold rainy night. Unfortunately, that is part of the job. As stated below, get one that has a very current inspection sticker on it. If you are doing a run where you have to break a set and build a set, drop your dolly in a secluded place and use it to build your next set. You will know the dolly has no obvious issues because you did a post trip on that dolly.. Main thing, don't pull anything that is not safe, and always do a pre/post trip.. be safe...

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
sometimes the air release valve gets hung up with dirt, causing it to leak, pull cord several times to free it up.

Dutch Dawg

As Browndigger suggested, in many cases the cheap chineeze made tank drain valve does not reseat properly after draining. A gentle kick or nudge if you will with the toe of your boot not only can seat the seal on it, but also works wonders to expel the frustration one develops after cycling thru the ignorant DOR messages at start of work. Whom ever post tripped the dolly prior to your use, if done properly would have drained the air and would have no idea at that point the dolly was leaking. On occasion the tractor will not have enough air for both an air depleted dolly and back box which will cause the dolly (J?) valve on the side rail of dolly frame to bleed. This can often be recitified by turning the front box red (safety side, on rear of trailer) valve off untill the blue/yellow (brake side) has fully charged; which may also require bringing the tractor air pressure back up.

This style of dolly lowers the center of gravity on a set and undoubtly thru time has contributed to saving an :censored2: or two from rolling.

A double/triple coupling device can also be called a convertor? What's this world coming to? Next thang you know someone will suggest package cars are trucks.

Indecisi0n

Fail its pretrip and find a new one.

Old International

Now driving a Sterling
It is the air valve that controls the hosteling function of the dolly. No way to pretrip it until you get air on the dolly, and by then it's too late. Most of the Trl shops just tell you to "get another dolly", as the valve is a bitch to replace.

I am lucky, in that I get to keep the same dolly, day after day. I find a good one, and don't turn it loose until the FHWA sticker says I have to.