don't know about ups

First question: where are you located? Do you know what supplemental contracts you are working under?

Under the National Master contract there is no such thing as a non-peak seasonal hire. And I think they changed the rules within the last couple contracts so that even Nov-Dec hires no longer have to be rehired in Jan and keep their Nov-Dec hire dates as their beginning date.

So, you are just an ordinary hire who has been on layoff because you're not needed. If you're not needed because the company is choosing to use seniority double shifters, too bad -- you have no right to the work until you make seniority.

So, you were hired 5/08 and have to work 30 days to make seniority. What I don't know is how many days you have to get in those 30 days. If/when you make seniority and any day before 8/1/08 counts towards your seniority I would think you would get benefits under the provisions of the pre 8/1/08 contract. Otherwise you have to wait a year. Sorry. I voted against the new contract partly because it screwed new hires...

no, i'm not sure what i'm working under...i understand the seniority thing, but what gets me is the fact that i WILL never gain seniority as long as i'm not working...apparently this center is bad about doing this type of stuff to their new hires, my shop steward told me that...so like i said i'll just chalk this up as a loss or choose to go find another job

SuperSup

In our region, and I believe it may be a corporate policy, there is no such thing as a seasonal insider. Only drivers and helpers. Once you are hired on as an inside employee, you are permanent. You may get laid off after the season, for as long as long as it takes for the permanet postion to open, but you have still accrued all seniority entitlements. Really, the only option for you is to ask your local; if anybody can help you, they're the ones.

atatbl

In our region, and I believe it may be a corporate policy, there is no such thing as a seasonal insider. Only drivers and helpers. Once you are hired on as an inside employee, you are permanent. You may get laid off after the season, for as long as long as it takes for the permanet postion to open, but you have still accrued all seniority entitlements. Really, the only option for you is to ask your local; if anybody can help you, they're the ones.

We hire seasonal insiders

ptmays

First of all, join the Union upon Seniority and get a copy of the contract. They have the contract on the site, so you can actually refer to it here. When you were rehired, that was considered your new hire date, so you can discard the months you worked prior to that. If you are under the new contract you will receive NO benefits until a year AFTER HIRE DATE has passed. Therefore, I'm almost certain your not covered on any plan. In some weird case that you are covered under the health insurance policy and your claim didn't go through, either call HR or file a grievance. Thats the best advice I can give you.

UPSGUY72

Seasonal people don't get insurance. I know there is some stuff in the contract about senority when you get hired from the end of Aug to Dec. UPS only hires seasonal people for November and December for peak.

They do hired tempory drivers for 6 months in january and june. Other than that if you get hired you got hired for a permant position.

If you got hired in May your not seasonal. You need to see you union Stewart or call you local Union Rep and see what's going on.

Under the last contract you had to work 120 days (4 months) to be able to get insurance. Under the new contract it's 365 days (1 year). But you also have to work so many hours each quater to qualify for health insurance.

You need to find out what they consider your hire date. Everything depends on that date. Weather it's before Aug 1, 08 or after.

Seasonal people don't get insurance. I know there is some stuff in the contract about senority when you get hired from the end of Aug to Dec. UPS only hires seasonal people for November and December for peak.

They do hired tempory drivers for 6 months in january and june. Other than that if you get hired you got hired for a permant position.

If you got hired in May your not seasonal. You need to see you union Stewart or call you local Union Rep and see what's going on.

Under the last contract you had to work 120 days (4 months) to be able to get insurance. Under the new contract it's 365 days (1 year). But you also have to work so many hours each quater to qualify for health insurance.

You need to find out what they consider your hire date. Everything depends on that date. Weather it's before Aug 1, 08 or after.

i already know that they will consider my hire date as 9/08, so it's just a loss I have to take...I guess my center does hire for peak during the summer months for vacations or something, who knows, but why couldn't they just use people with seniority from other shifts to cover (kinda like how they are doing with hours I could use now :angry-very2:)?...hmmm, funny thing I guess...it wouldn't be so bad if I had another job, but seeing as how I'm a full-time student it's kinda hard for me to balance all that and take care of my mother too...oh well

but thanks to all that have responded. I appreciate it very much....now I just need to decide if I'm going to try to tough it out w/ absolutely no insurance, minimum hours and the possibility to be laid off in jan. 09 or go somewhere else

UPSGUY72

If you start working in May that should be your hire Date not Sept you need to talk to a Union steward or call you local Rep.

You started working in May so you will fall under the old contractto start.

UPS will walk all over you if you let them SO DON"T LET THEM.

UPS doesn't hire seasonal inside people to cover vactions. They hire seasonal drivers from the out side for six months at a time. And seasonal help insied during peak.

Other them that your a permant UPS employee

ok upsguy, i understand what you are saying, but I'm going by what they told me...could different centers/hubs do different things, for IE...one might hire seasonal insiders for summer peak while another one doesn't??...I mean all of this seems wrong to me, but if they claim that they clearly hired me for peak season May - August 30th then what can I do about it?...absolutely nothing
I do find it hard to believe that if I was seasonal that they would've offered me benefits in the first place...I'm sure of that, but maybe it was a glitch in their paperwork or they just decided to start this seasonal help in the summer, I don't know.
i know my union steward asked one of the supes why he wasn't working me instead of other people and he said "Because I don't have to" so I take that as me not having 30 days of seniority in (at least by their calculations!)
I will take all of this to my union steward and see what he says, but again I don't have any hope for this matter as I am starting to see the "light" when it comes to UPS and some of its concerns

UnconTROLLed

perfection
ok upsguy, i understand what you are saying, but I'm going by what they told me...could different centers/hubs do different things, for IE...one might hire seasonal insiders for summer peak while another one doesn't??...I mean all of this seems wrong to me, but if they claim that they clearly hired me for peak season May - August 30th then what can I do about it?...absolutely nothing
I do find it hard to believe that if I was seasonal that they would've offered me benefits in the first place...I'm sure of that, but maybe it was a glitch in their paperwork or they just decided to start this seasonal help in the summer, I don't know.
i know my union steward asked one of the supes why he wasn't working me instead of other people and he said "Because I don't have to" so I take that as me not having 30 days of seniority in (at least by their calculations!)
I will take all of this to my union steward and see what he says, but again I don't have any hope for this matter as I am starting to see the "light" when it comes to UPS and some of its concerns

Yeah, its not really worth taking further on here. Just call 710 office and kindly request to speak with your B.A. or a union rep. I don't have your contract in front of me so I can't tell you one way or the other, but I'm sure it's in writing.

705red

Browncafe Steward
I know in 705 we do have seasonal hires as drivers from easter to labor day, and at the rate we hire ptimers i have never had a problem with ptimers.

Pm lu710 he is a member on this site and hopefully he can help.