Don't sign a "Fair Day's Work" agreement

over9five

Staff member
Drivers today were asked to sign a paper saying their breaks and lunches start the moment they break Trace, and that they may not travel more than 1/4 mile off Trace, and that they must be back on Trace the moment their break or lunch ends.

How hard did they laugh? Was anyone foolish enough to actually sign?

brownIEman

Drivers today were asked to sign a paper saying their breaks and lunches start the moment they break Trace, and that they may not travel more than 1/4 mile off Trace, and that they must be back on Trace the moment their break or lunch ends.

That seems a tad excessive, IMHO.

I do understand the motivation, sort of. There are drivers, plenty, that will drive 3-5 miles eating 10-15 minutes, then START their break, then clock back on, drive the same 3-5 miles and 10-15 minutes to get back on area. That is certainly just as ridiculous as what management is currently doing in your center. I am curious what other steps were taken prior to this roster being pased out for signature to curb this expensive behavior?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That seems a tad excessive, IMHO.

I do understand the motivation, sort of. There are drivers, plenty, that will drive 3-5 miles eating 10-15 minutes, then START their break, then clock back on, drive the same 3-5 miles and 10-15 minutes to get back on area. That is certainly just as ridiculous as what management is currently doing in your center. I am curious what other steps were taken prior to this roster being pased out for signature to curb this expensive behavior?

I don't think it was simply a roster--it sounds like each employee had to sign their own form which I would imagine was put in their file(s).

I can see the point in this but there has to be some common ground between 1/4 mile and 3-5 miles and as to when lunch/break starts--when you break trace or when you shut the PC off at your lunch location. 1/4 mile is no problem on a run like STUG's but would be a huge problem for our country drivers.

fairday

FYI, the following language is a part of Article 6, Section 1 of the National Master Agreement, even though it may not be in the version you are consulting.

"In addition, an employee's refusal to sign a Company form relating to the principle of a fair day's work shall not be used for disciplinary purposes unless the signing is required by law or by this Agreement."