DOT hours

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The extension is for drive time or on duty time, but not both.

Your drive time can be extended to 13 hours, with your on duty time still being 14, or your on duty time can be extended to 16 hours with your drive time remaining 11 hours.

I thought that was changed but is good to know.

My last extension only got me 15 minutes of drive time with 2 hours extra on duty time through the new ivis....it has me capped at 11 hours drive time even with the extension.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I thought that was changed but is good to know.

My last extension only got me 15 minutes of drive time with 2 hours extra on duty time through the new ivis....it has me capped at 11 hours drive time even with the extension.

That is correct. They cannot extend both.

If they extended your on duty time to 16, they cannot extend your drive time.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
The drive time extension is covered under the adverse driving condition exemption and the on duty time extension is covered under the short haul exemption.

Both cannot be applied at the same time.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Incorrect.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours.

You can go over 14 once you are back at the building.

You will still need 10 hours off, so if you went over 14, you will be starting a little later the next day.
You are correct. I was inaccurate in my post that you quoted regarding the 14 hour rule. I had mentioned in post #16 that the OP would not have violated had he returned to the building prior to reaching 14 hours even without an extension.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
The FMCSA website is horrible, or at least it is on a phone.

When we went to 70 hours division sent us directives that were incorrect...took me about 10 minutes one day to prove I was legal and not get sent home.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
You are correct. I was inaccurate in my post that you quoted regarding the 14 hour rule. I had mentioned in post #16 that the OP would not have violated had he returned to the building prior to reaching 14 hours even without an extension.

Yes you did. I figured it was just a brain fart.