DOT hours

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I went over 60 by a couple of clicks one time in feeders The next day, the dispatcher asked me if I had taken a break in Lake Charles. I said, no, I didn't. He said yes, I did. I finally snapped and said yes, I did. I forgot to write it down (paper time cards). They just pencil whipped my time to make it right. Never did that again, especially after he told me the DOT fine, which would have been on me.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
10 hour reset after 14?

14 hour rule- you must be punched out in under 14 hours from the time you started work
“Can’t exceed 14 hours punch to punch”

10 hour rule- over 10 hours off duty from the time you punch out until you punch back in

Reset-34 hours off duty to reset your 60 or 70 hour rule depending which rule the company is using, when you reset you start with a full compliment of hours available, 60 or 70

Sorry for confusing anyone

Last edited:

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
I went over 60 by a couple of clicks one time in feeders The next day, the dispatcher asked me if I had taken a break in Lake Charles. I said, no, I didn't. He said yes, I did. I finally snapped and said yes, I did. I forgot to write it down (paper time cards). They just pencil whipped my time to make it right. Never did that again, especially after he told me the DOT fine, which would have been on me.
I miss being on paper!

What'dyabringmetoday???

14 hour rule- you must be punched out in under 14 hours from the time you started work

10 hour rule- over 10 hours off duty from the time you punch out until you punch back in

Reset-34 hours off duty to reset your 60 or 70 hour rule depending which rule the company is using, when you reset you start with a full compliment of hours available, 60 or 70

Sorry for confusing anyone
Are these rules that are posted at your particular location? That's not exactly how the DOT rules are written. Not picking a fight. Always seems different everywhere.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
Are these rules that are posted at your particular location? That's not exactly how the DOT rules are written. Not picking a fight. Always seems different everywhere.
That was me paraphrasing. The DOT hours of service rules are set by the gooberment not UPS. Best thing to do is view them on the FMCSA website.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

Incorrect.

You cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours.

You can go over 14 once you are back at the building.

You will still need 10 hours off, so if you went over 14, you will be starting a little later the next day.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Same argument- different year. Tune in next year at this time and it will play again.

It just amazes me how many people don't know the HOS law that they are bound by.

They will never forget them if they violate, get caught and have to pay that $4K fine though.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
You cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours.

Yes you can. You can't drive after already driving 11 hours...otherwise what would the purpose of the 2 hour adverse conditions rule be? Of course this is only once per week and is supposed to be for a legitimate reason.

Many drivers think the 2 hour extension is for drive time as well, but it isn't, just on duty hours. You need to have drive time available for an extension to do you any good.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Yes you can. You can't drive after already driving 11 hours...otherwise what would the purpose of the 2 hour adverse conditions rule be? Of course this is only once per week and is supposed to be for a legitimate reason.

Many drivers think the 2 hour extension is for drive time as well, but it isn't, just on duty hours. You need to have drive time available for an extension to do you any good.

The law states that you cannot drive after being on duty for 14 hours.

But you are correct, there is an exception.

I was responding to @Sweeper who incorrectly stated that the 14 hour rule meant you had to be clocked out within 14 hours.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

The extension is for drive time or on duty time, but not both.

Your drive time can be extended to 13 hours, with your on duty time still being 14, or your on duty time can be extended to 16 hours with your drive time remaining 11 hours.