Dot physical

M

MenInBrown

I had my DOT physical and was sent a bill from the doctors office for $95. Does UPS not pay for the physicals anymore?

jaker

trolling
So call them and explain to them that you work for ups and the bill should be sent to them

I would call for you but I don't think that it would teach you anything

FlaccidEgo

When I went for my physical I told them explicitly it was a non-CDL DOT physical for UPS and they said they would send the paperwork to UPS once it was over. My HR rep says she still hasn't received it nearly 3 weeks later, so I've no idea who the hell they sent it to. In the end I just let her photocopy the info so I now have my card. Still waiting for the road test though, even though I'm supposed to be doing the week long training week starting July 13.

M

MenInBrown

So call them and explain to them that you work for ups and the bill should be sent to them

I would call for you but I don't think that it would teach you anything

One thing I learned is there are still smart***** up here. Thanks for the info. I will pass it along

anHOURover

Teamcare? Why do you think Teamcare has any responsibility to pay for a UPS physical?
They most def do have something to do with them rookie... When you fail your dot physical and need sleep study's More doctor appts etc..... All that used to be covered 100%... NOW ITS NOT!! You really thought u had me there rookie

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Teamcare? Why do you think Teamcare has any responsibility to pay for a UPS physical?
They most def do have something to do with them rookie.

The company bears all costs (including scheduling) associated with a DOT physical.

Including payment of hourly wages..... if applicable.

ARTICLE 20. EXAMINATION AND IDENTIFICATION FEES

"Section 1. Required Examination

Physical, mental or other examinations required by a government body or the Employer shall be promptly complied with by all employees; provided, however, the Employer shall not pay for any time spent in the case of applicants for jobs, but shall be responsible to other employees only for time spent at the place of examination or examinations where the time spent by the employee exceeds two (2) hours, and in that case only for those hours in excess of said two (2). Examinations are to be taken at the employee’s home area and are not to exceed one (1) in any one (1) year, unless the employee has suffered serious injury or illness within the year. Employees will not be required to take examinations during their working hours, unless paid by the Employer for all time spent. Employees shall be given reasonable notice of dates of examinations.

For those drivers subject to DOT regulations who possess a valid medical certificate from a designated DOT provider, the Employer shall pay for any additional physical, mental, or other examinations required by the Employer to confirm the validity of the medical certificate."

When you fail your dot physical and need sleep study's More doctor appts etc..... All that used to be covered 100%... NOW ITS NOT!!

Since when can a DOT Doctor fail you, for suggesting a sleep study ?

If he did.... the cost is borne out by the company.

You really thought u had me there rookie

ITG is not a rookie.

It appears you are.

-Bug-

anHOURover

The company bears all costs (including scheduling) associated with a DOT physical.

ARTICLE 20. EXAMINATION AND IDENTIFICATION FEES

"Section 1. Required Examination

Physical, mental or other examinations required by a government body or the Employer shall be promptly complied with by all employees; provided, however, the Employer shall not pay for any time spent in the case of applicants for jobs, but shall be responsible to other employees only for time spent at the place of examination or examinations where the time spent by the employee exceeds two (2) hours, and in that case only for those hours in excess of said two (2). Examinations are to be taken at the employee’s home area and are not to exceed one (1) in any one (1) year, unless the employee has suffered serious injury or illness within the year. Employees will not be required to take examinations during their working hours, unless paid by the Employer for all time spent. Employees shall be given reasonable notice of dates of examinations.

For those drivers subject to DOT regulations who possess a valid medical certificate from a designated DOT provider, the Employer shall pay for any additional physical, mental, or other examinations required by the Employer to confirm the validity of the medical certificate."

ITG is not a rookie.

It appears you are.

-Bug-
BUG wrong again!!
Countless teamsters are being charged very high rates for sleep studies and the machine!! I post facts bug!!! I'll @ a few if you'd like brother!! Facts are facts! There's a lot you don't know about Teamcare bug the rookie

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Countless teamsters are being charged very high rates for sleep studies and the machine!!

Who are these "countless" Teamsters ?

If you can't provide specific documentation to back up your claim....

Stop, before you have no credibility.

You are teetering on the edge, right now.

Aside, from not knowing (or applying) the contract.... anything else ?? :biggrin:

-Bug-

anHOURover

Who are these "countless" Teamsters ?

If you can't provide specific documentation to back up your claim....

Stop, before you have no credibility.

You are teetering on the edge, right now.

Aside, from not knowing (or applying) the contract.... anything else ?? :biggrin:

-Bug-
I'll get a few to chime in brother... Your correct there is no problem when you pass your physical with no problems! When the doc measures your neck and you fail its immediate $$ out of your pocket because of Teamcare!! #facts

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'll get a few to chime in brother.

I would appreciate, if you would not call me "brother".

For all I know.... you are a TDU Troll.

When the doc measures your neck and you fail its immediate $$ out of your pocket because of Teamcare!!

Again....

I'll get a few to chime in

You do that.

-Bug-

anHOURover

I would appreciate, if you would not call me "brother".

Again....

You do that.

-Bug-
You can post contract language all you want brother bug.... I'm telling you what members are facing on the front line! Relax ...

Last edited by a moderator:

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
There were several drivers in my center that was forced to take sleep studies on their dime. I think one of them told me it was $400.00 Next step is CPAP. I retired right before they started cracking down and making folks do that. Based on the size of your neck or the fact that you snore.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm telling you what members are facing on the front line!

I have no doubt, most of them don't have the guts to stand up for themselves.

Thats why they vote for (or not) and pay people like me, to do it for them.

The realities of life can be a rude awakening for some.

Contractual language is there.... for those, who choose to use it.

I can't make them.

-Bug-

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!

I can't make them.

-Bug-

We pay you to know the contract. Apparently, we are paying you for nothing.

No they don't. They pay for the exam and if applicable, hourly wages.

If the DOT doctor does not give you a new card, you do not possess a valid medical certificate. The employers financial responsibility stops there.

It does not say that the employer will pay for any additional tests for you to get your medical certificate. Only to validate it if you have one.

This clause is in the contract for those employees who get a medical certificate from a designated DOT doctor and UPS questions the validity of it.

Then, and only then, they are required to pay for any additional tests.

Not for suggesting, but he can order it.

The FMCSA issued guidelines to DOT doctors for testing for sleep apnea.

The guidelines were a 17" neck size or higher. The doctor can order a sleep apnea test before issuing a medical certificate.

Congress has since changed the law, stating that a DOT doctor cannot request a sleep apnea test on the FMCSA guidelines alone. But if the doctor suspects you have sleep apnea, he can order the test per federal law.

Congress has ordered the FMCSA to do a study on their guidelines to evaluate whether the additional costs of these tests are beneficial to the whole.

We are now waiting on the FMCSA to issue a final rule.

In the meantime, DOT doctors can still withhold your medical certificate until you get a sleep apnea test done if they suspect, with more information than just the FMCSA guidelines, that a person has sleep apnea.

No it is not. The test is not required by the company. The test is required by the doctor representing the DOT.

UPS only pays for tests that they require, not for tests that the DOT requires.

UPS only requires a driver to have a medical certificate, they are not required to pay for any additional testing, above a normal DOT physical, that the DOT requires.

Aside, from not knowing (or applying) the contract.... anything else ??

Maybe you should study up on the contract. If you got the company to pay for these tests, more power to you.

I would guess that you never came across this yet though. Because the company is not contractually obligated to pay for a sleep apnea test.

Another one is a stress test. Any employee who has had a heart attack, or other forms of miocardial infarction, is required by the DOT to undergo a yearly stress test in order to get their medical certificate.

The stress test cost is borne by the employee and their insurance. UPS is not contractually liable to pay for the stress test.

Maybe you should do a little more research before you call someone a troll.

And, by the way, both the sleep apnea test and the stress test have been grieved and lost at the State Panel.

No contractual violation for UPS denying payment.

The ruling was that these tests are not required by UPS, they are required by the DOT to get a medical certificate.

UPS only requires a medical certificate and only pays for the DOT exam.

Anything additional tests required by the DOT to get the certificate is the responsibility of the employee.

You're a big union guy, look it up.

anHOURover

I can't make them.

-Bug-

Once again THE BUGGER THINKS he knows it all!
YOUR WRONG AGAIN brother BUGGER...
Your welcome for the education.... Try to Change your Nasty mr know it all attitude .... You really look like a fool when your proven wrong!!
I learn something new everyday but I speak on experience..

rod

Retired 22 years
I was on the clock for every physical I had. If its scheduled during your normal working hours its paid time. Those of you who take it while on vacation are cheating yourself out of a few bucks.