DOT Regulations

happybob

Feeders
Any time working whether driving a package car or hammering a nail is consider in the 14 hours.. If your a driver and have a job on the side those hour count as well. You need to have 10 off time not working any job your getting paid for... If you volunteer work after UPS (ie soup kitchen, delivering meal, etc ) those friend hour don't count.

14-Hour Limit
May not drive beyond the 14th consecutive hour after coming on duty, following 10 consecutive hours off duty. Off-duty time does not extend the 14-hour period.

You can driver 14. Your not limited to 12. That why they call it the 14 and 10 rule. Not the 12 / 2 / 10 rule. If your violate any of the rules UPS is obligated to notify the DOT of your violation. You not UPS is responsible for keeping track of your hours.

Your limited to 60 hours a week or 70 depending on how many consecutive days 7/8 your work week is. For a UPS package car driver it should be 60. After your 60 or 70 hr you need to have 34 consecutive hours of off time not working any job your getting paid for to reset your hours.

14 hours on duty can be extended 2 hours for emergency conditions, but you still can not drive over 11 hours, and 16 hours can only be once in a 7 day period, and you must still have 10 hours off before the start of your next work day.

unless im mistaken, these hour rules only apply to commercial verhicles in excess of 26,000 pounds, or has something changed?

rod

Retired 22 years
We were always limited to 60 hours a week. Nothing was ever mentioned about 12 driving and 2 non driving. I was literally yanked out of my truck a few times when I pushed the 60 hour limit. Some times during peak we would head into Friday with only a few hours available to work. It was nice getting off early on a Friday because we were out of hours.

bluehdmc

Go to: Summary of Hours-of-Service (HOS) Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

This summarizes the hours of service regulations. Not sure how this really would work out in package. Logbooks are broken down in 15min segments. With the IVIS it seems to round out these, up or down, if your using a paper log you can kinda fudge it. 7mins down, 8 up. A package car driver stops and spends how much time, delivering or picking up, that time is "on-duty not driving". The DOT doesn't seem to chase after delivery operations and I believe a logbook is only required if you go 100+ air miles from your terminal.

UPSGUY72

14 hours on duty can be extended 2 hours for emergency conditions, but you still can not drive over 11 hours, and 16 hours can only be once in a 7 day period, and you must still have 10 hours off before the start of your next work day.

unless im mistaken, these hour rules only apply to commercial verhicles in excess of 26,000 pounds, or has something changed?

A package car driver would never go over 11 hr of driving even if they work 14 hours.

I don't believe there are extension for emergency condition as of 2/27/2012 anymore. 14 hours on duty and 11 hour driving is it. But don't quote me on that.

In general, a CMV is a vehicle that is used as part of a business and is involved in interstate commerce and fits any of these descriptions:

• Weighs 10,001 pounds or more
  • Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more
  • Is designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) not for compensation
  • Is designed or used to transport 9 or more passengers (including the driver) for compensation
  • A vehicle that is involved in Interstate or intrastate commerce and is transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placards is also considered a CMV

Last edited:

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Close, but it doesn't look like anyone has the whole cigar.

The reason you are limited to 12 hours in Package (besides making it easier for them to keep accounting of your hours) is 395.1 (e), the short haul exemption. The DIAD is not an approved on board recording device so we would not qualify for the exemption. Once you go "on road" you are considered Driving for DOT purposes until you go on break (on duty, not driving) or meal (off duty). (Technically, break would be considered "off duty" but UPS does not agree of course. The deciding factor is if you are 'released from duty' for that period, not if you are being paid, but it doesn't really matter.) The record keeping requirement is in 395.8
Driver's record of duty status. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

But wait! 395.1(2) exempts non-CDL required Drivers from 395.1 (e) if:
(i) The driver operates a property-carrying commercial motor vehicle for which a commercial driver's license is not required under part 383 of this subchapter;(ii) The driver operates within a 150 air-mile radius of the location where the driver reports to and is released from work, i.e., the normal work reporting location;(iii) The driver returns to the normal work reporting location at the end of each duty tour;(iv) The driver does not drive:(A) After the 14th hour after coming on duty on 5 days of any period of 7 consecutive days; and(B) After the 16th hour after coming on duty on 2 days of any period of 7 consecutive days;(v) The motor carrier that employs the driver maintains and retains for a period of 6 months accurate and true time records showing:(A) The time the driver reports for duty each day;(B) The total number of hours the driver is on duty each day;(C) The time the driver is released from duty each day;(D) The total time for the preceding 7 days in accordance with § 395.8(j)(2) for drivers used for the first time or intermittently.

Clear as mud isn't it? Keeping to the 12 hours is probably best for everyone concerned as it pretty much keeps everyone in line with the requirements.

The 100/150 air mile radius is also an important factor. You probably have shuttle runs in the outlying centers that come close to violating this radius (and I bet quite a few do). It's shorter than you think when you see it mapped out.

Also in 395.1 (b) is the adverse driving conditions exception.

See the interpretations for more information: Interpretation for 395.1: - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

UPS only publishes the Summary that was already linked, as it mostly covers what they want you to do.
Summary of Hours-of-Service (HOS) Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Also in dispute is the 60/70 hour 7/8 day clock as UPS likes to keep you on the 60/7 when not working Sleeper. You can do either, which is why you see a Contract proposal to compel UPS to use the 70 hr clock during Peak.

You are not required to "reset" in 34 hours, you can just keep rolling. In Package or Feeder working days you will eventually run out of hours for a day and have to sit out until one drops off. If you work nights, say 1800-600, the first 6 hours (assuming no meal) would drop off later in the week and you could still work picking up more hours after midnight again. To keep rolling you cannot work 12-14 hour days or eventually you will run out. Work 8-10 hours give or take and you can keep rolling almost indefinitely if your start times work out. I have a good Excel spreadsheet for 60/7 if anyone needs it. It works on smart phones that can run Excel too.

Keep in mind that a lot of these rules will be changing come July if the Final Rule is implemented on schedule. ATA is suing to prevent this but I haven't kept up to date on the progress. Generally it's tough to stop a rule before it's implemented as long as they went through the process (and boy did they).

Also, while you cannot drive on road after your 14th hour, you are free to shift or work in the hub as long as you wish, provided you have 10 hours off before the next time you drive and don't violate the 60/70 hour limit. I used to have a run where I would hit my 60 on Thursday then pick up an extra 2 hours or more building sets in the yard. Those were some fat paychecks!

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
Also, lets look at the 11 hour driving time. Like I said, if you were recording it on a logbook it would all be considered 'Driving' time once you went on road.
Lets assume a typical 180 stop resi route, with 2 minutes per stop (6 hours of non-driving time). That's from stop car/select routine/D.R./start car routine.
15 min each for A.M. and P.M. routine so 1/2 hour
1/2 hour breaks and 1 hour meal to keep it nice and tidy.
So you have 7 hours of 'on duty' time, 1 hour off duty.
If I work 14 hours punch to punch(and I probably would on that route), you've only used 6 hours of actual "wheel time" not even close to the 11 hour limit. Even if you go 16 hours you are still well below.

However,
I would argue (having done both many, many years) that driving a Package car is much more fatiguing that a Feeder tractor. We're big and slow and staying awake is the hardest battle. Falling asleep isn't the biggest factor in accidents though. Fatigue and being sleepy are different. Sleepiness causes inattention while fatigue causes you to make mistakes. In my personal opinion and experience, I've never felt as unsafe in Feeders as I was after a 12-14 hour day driving the Package car especially on the return-to-building trip. I would remove the exemption and reduce total on duty time to 10 hours for non-CDL property carrying drivers.

EmraldArcher

Also, lets look at the 11 hour driving time. Like I said, if you were recording it on a logbook it would all be considered 'Driving' time once you went on road.
Lets assume a typical 180 stop resi route, with 2 minutes per stop (6 hours of non-driving time). That's from stop car/select routine/D.R./start car routine.
15 min each for A.M. and P.M. routine so 1/2 hour
1/2 hour breaks and 1 hour meal to keep it nice and tidy.
So you have 7 hours of 'on duty' time, 1 hour off duty.
If I work 14 hours punch to punch(and I probably would on that route), you've only used 6 hours of actual "wheel time" not even close to the 11 hour limit. Even if you go 16 hours you are still well below.

However,
I would argue (having done both many, many years) that driving a Package car is much more fatiguing that a Feeder tractor. We're big and slow and staying awake is the hardest battle. Falling asleep isn't the biggest factor in accidents though. Fatigue and being sleepy are different. Sleepiness causes inattention while fatigue causes you to make mistakes. In my personal opinion and experience, I've never felt as unsafe in Feeders as I was after a 12-14 hour day driving the Package car especially on the return-to-building trip. I would remove the exemption and reduce total on duty time to 10 hours for non-CDL property carrying drivers.

Are you saying that it would take you 14 hours to do 180 residential stops or that you would take 14 hours to do them?

There's a significant difference lol.

104Feeder

Phoenix Feeder
It would probably take me 14 hours as I'm way past my prime package days sadly. When I left package a 9.5 hour day was 135 stops on my route, so 180 would have put me at roughly 12.5 hours.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Yeah, you can definitely go over 14 hours. As others have said, that is limited to 11 hours drive time. You can only do this once a week, and you would have to be off 10 hours before you could work again. I went over 14 hours last month in feeders. I drove through four states and two, twice. Good times.

OptimusPrime

Any time working whether driving a package car or hammering a nail is consider in the 14 hours.. If your a driver and have a job on the side those hour count as well. You need to have 10 off time not working any job your getting paid for... If you volunteer work after UPS (ie soup kitchen, delivering meal, etc ) those friend hour don't count.

Pretty sure my center manager would **** a brick if I showed up and told him "Sorry man, I can't work yet. Pulled a 10 hour shift at the gas station last night." Would that be fire-able??