DOT vs NON-DOT

hypo hanna

Be wary. You could be dinged for driving a vehicle that you're not qualified to drive if you run into something. If you don't think the manager would put the screws to you for that in such a scenario, don't do it. If he wouldn't, then do it.
Yes, just trust your manager to step up and do the right thing when his job is on the line because of your accident. That's some incredibly stupid advice.
The driver should not drive any truck he isn't qualified to drive under any circumstances. If something were to happen it is the driver who would bare the responsibility.

whenIgetthere

There's no way that I'm going to switch to non-DOT. That's what I was hired as, so unless they declassify all of us I think I'll be on solid ground. Even if not, I'd probably quit.

If you drive a sprinter or van here, you were made non DOT. We have a few couriers who drive sprinters, but also have CDL-A licenses, and they were made non DOT. I suppose if they choose to keep their CDL-A, they would have to pay for their own physicals.

1fedexFAILURE

Be wary. You could be dinged for driving a vehicle that you're not qualified to drive if you run into something. If you don't think the manager would put the screws to you for that in such a scenario, don't do it. If he wouldn't, then do it.
Spoken as management..you don't ever drive it..as non dot new hires are brought on they will not be qualified to drive the dot required vehicles. With what you are saying they should drive it if they feel they will not get into trouble..poor advice... Why not stick to the books and say follow policy..te manager may actually have to do something for themselves and move the truck.. But we are never to break the rules especially just because it benefits you!

1fedexFAILURE

Have you guys considered just not hitting stuff when you park a truck? You know, try being professional truck drivers and not have accidents while parking at your own station.
We do that when we make delivery/pups..at which we still follow the policy..if you are not supposed to drive the truck..then don't drive it..policy is policy

hypo hanna

Have you guys considered just not hitting stuff when you park a truck? You know, try being professional truck drivers and not have accidents while parking at your own station.

ac·ci·dent
ˈaksədənt/
noun
  1. 1.
    an unfortunate incident that happens unexpectedly and unintentionally, typically resulting in damage or injury.
    "he had an accident at the factory"
    synonyms: mishap, misadventure,unfortunate incident,mischance, misfortune,disaster, tragedy,catastrophe, calamity;
    technicalcasualty
    "an accident at work"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Yes, just trust your manager to step up and do the right thing when his job is on the line because of your accident. That's some incredibly stupid advice.
The driver should not drive any truck he isn't qualified to drive under any circumstances. If something were to happen it is the driver who would bare the responsibility.

Hey cupcake, didja catch the part where I point out that you can be held accountable for driving a vehicle you're not supposed to drive? Like, totally? If not, that's some really, like, totally stupid reading comprehension. I mean, TOTALLY grody!

If you have a manager who'd cover your hide and you feel comfortable moving the truck, then do it. If not, then don't. I don't give a flip either way.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Spoken as management..you don't ever drive it..as non dot new hires are brought on they will not be qualified to drive the dot required vehicles. With what you are saying they should drive it if they feel they will not get into trouble..poor advice... Why not stick to the books and say follow policy..te manager may actually have to do something for themselves and move the truck.. But we are never to break the rules especially just because it benefits you!

Buddy, I don't care if you, him, the Cookie Monster, or someone else moves the truck. I don't care if it sits there all night, the next day, and then the rest of the week. Some managers would cover your backside, some wouldn't. I wouldn't even think to ask a non-DOT person to do it unless there was some crazy circumstance, and I wouldn't blame him if he said no.

R

RuralRoute

I don't know about yall, but we must have gotten the defective versions of the Isuzu step and at my station. The trucks always seem to think there is a "door ajar" all the time and won't start, even when you have physically checked all doors (with the exception of passenger door.)
Try being backed up to a dock with a fully loaded truck not accessible thru the inside and then having that door ajar light on because of the truck thinking the back door is slightly open. Good luck trying to go around and fix the door! If it hasn't happened to you yet, just give the truck time to age. It's coming.

1fedexFAILURE

Buddy, I don't care if you, him, the Cookie Monster, or someone else moves the truck. I don't care if it sits there all night, the next day, and then the rest of the week. Some managers would cover your backside, some wouldn't. I wouldn't even think to ask a non-DOT person to do it unless there was some crazy circumstance, and I wouldn't blame him if he said no.
Management should always care about what is right and what is wrong..give proper advice and want others to always abide by policy..in your case like most..you don't care unless it affects you..then it's do whatever so I get what I want..such as people that break the rules on road..I'm sure your ok with that also because you get inflated il numbers..

hypo hanna

Hey cupcake, didja catch the part where I point out that you can be held accountable for driving a vehicle you're not supposed to drive? Like, totally? If not, that's some really, like, totally stupid reading comprehension. I mean, TOTALLY grody!

If you have a manager who'd cover your hide and you feel comfortable moving the truck, then do it. If not, then don't. I don't give a flip either way.
I'm not your cupcake little man , and my response to your stupid advise remains the same. Managers are not to be trusted to have an hourlie's back when there is a potential for their own job to be in jeopardy.
fedex should have thought about these scenarios before they moved all of those drivers to non-dot. Now its all "do me a favor and break this one little rule, you know for the sake of the operation and all." All the times I have seen managers be d rules to hit numbers etc then when something goes wrong throw that driver under the bus to save their own sorry :censored2:.
The best advise you can give a newbie is to never ever trust a member of fedex mgmt, (even the ones who act like your buddy),and if he insist on you breaking a rule, get it in writing. Otherwise he should move his own **** truck.

Purplepackage

I don't know about yall, but we must have gotten the defective versions of the Isuzu step and at my station. The trucks always seem to think there is a "door ajar" all the time and won't start, even when you have physically checked all doors (with the exception of passenger door.)
Try being backed up to a dock with a fully loaded truck not accessible thru the inside and then having that door ajar light on because of the truck thinking the back door is slightly open. Good luck trying to go around and fix the door! If it hasn't happened to you yet, just give the truck time to age. It's coming.

Yeah actually all of the Isuzu trucks are defective in some way lol I think that's why we still have way more grummlins than those pieces of crap. Just like how they realized buying dodge sprinters were a bad idea after they saw how messed up the bodies got from rust.

We need grummlins for large bulks that we get but I'll take my sprinter over one of those any day. But I have a brand new one so I'm spoiled

vantexan

I'm not your cupcake little man , and my response to your stupid advise remains the same. Managers are not to be trusted to have an hourlie's back when there is a potential for their own job to be in jeopardy.
fedex should have thought about these scenarios before they moved all of those drivers to non-dot. Now its all "do me a favor and break this one little rule, you know for the sake of the operation and all." All the times I have seen managers be d rules to hit numbers etc then when something goes wrong throw that driver under the bus to save their own sorry :censored2:.
The best advise you can give a newbie is to never ever trust a member of fedex mgmt, (even the ones who act like your buddy),and if he insist on you breaking a rule, get it in writing. Otherwise he should move his own **** truck.
I've seen a few mgr's who acted like they were your friend. Some are actually decent guys, but others you realize soon enough are just working an angle to get what they want. But I have known a couple I'd go to war for(out of almost 70 I've known lol).

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Cupcake? Sounds like someone has issues. At this company, doing anything that is questionable is a NO. If you were to back the 10,000 GVW vehicle into a post in the parking lot, your manager is going to throw you directly under the bus to cover their ass. Never, ever trust a manager. Let them move the truck, and point out that you are being requested to perform an "unsafe or illegal act".

I've seen plenty of people under the bus, and guess who keeps their job.

STFXG

Cupcake? Sounds like someone has issues. At this company, doing anything that is questionable is a NO. If you were to back the 10,000 GVW vehicle into a post in the parking lot, your manager is going to throw you directly under the bus to cover their ass. Never, ever trust a manager. Let them move the truck, and point out that you are being requested to perform an "unsafe or illegal act".

I've seen plenty of people under the bus, and guess who keeps their job.
Why would it be unsafe or illegal? It doesn't require a CDL.