Dovetail list mess up

Kmic

I have been a part timer at ups for almost 18years. Came back from a vacation to find out a fellow employee who’s below me on the seniority list got a full time job off the dovetail list. Four people actually got the call. Since I knew I signed the list I called the union lady who makes the calls for the dovetail list, and she said she tried to call me five times over three different days. From what she said my phone would keep ringing and my voicemail never picked up so she bypassed me and moved to the next person. I know I have no issues with my phone. Looked at my call log online and no call from the union. So through no fault of my own I missed my shot on these full time jobs. I’m told they can’t reverse what happened because the people who got the posts might’ve quit another job or changed their lives in some other way so they could fill the post. Supposedly I’m first on the list now for the next jobs but who knows when they will be or if they will be at a time I can work, which the four filled jobs were at a time I could accept the position. One of those jobs should be mine.

Since this was caused by someone in the union I can’t file a grievance right? Is there anything I can do?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I have been a part timer at ups for almost 18years. Came back from a vacation to find out a fellow employee who’s below me on the seniority list got a full time job off the dovetail list. Four people actually got the call. Since I knew I signed the list I called the union lady who makes the calls for the dovetail list, and she said she tried to call me five times over three different days. From what she said my phone would keep ringing and my voicemail never picked up so she bypassed me and moved to the next person. I know I have no issues with my phone. Looked at my call log online and no call from the union. So through no fault of my own I missed my shot on these full time jobs. I’m told they can’t reverse what happened because the people who got the posts might’ve quit another job or changed their lives in some other way so they could fill the post. Supposedly I’m first on the list now for the next jobs but who knows when they will be or if they will be at a time I can work, which the four filled jobs were at a time I could accept the position. One of those jobs should be mine.

Since this was caused by someone in the union I can’t file a grievance right? Is there anything I can do?
passed up for one of your locals good ol boys. Oldest trick

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
What is a dovetail list?
Here it is a late signup for certain lists such as FT and 22.4. If you sign 6 months late from the original October posting then you get tacked to the end "dovetailed". HR is supposed to attempt to physically contact you for jobs if the cellphone does not work in WR, new language added to make that one crystal clear. After you pass your qualifying period you should totally file to get your seniority updated for missing months due to being skipped on a list.

Kmic

Here the list is for part timers to sign if they are interested in a full time job. They go to the list when they can’t fill a job basically.

Kmic

Dumb question but does the Union have your CORRECT number?

When she contacted me back after I left her a voicemail stating my number. I asked if it was the same number she had been trying to contact me with. She said it was. It just doesn’t make sense that something was wrong with my phone five times. Nobody else has had a problem getting my voicemail.

She could have contacted my steward in my department to double check my number or to ask me to contact her if I was interested.

Which is what they are going to do from now on. Atleast that is what I was told...

rod

Retired 22 years
When she contacted me back after I left her a voicemail stating my number. I asked if it was the same number she had been trying to contact me with. She said it was. It just doesn’t make sense that something was wrong with my phone five times. Nobody else has had a problem getting my voicemail.

She could have contacted my steward in my department to double check my number or to ask me to contact her if I was interested.

Which is what they are going to do from now on. Atleast that is what I was told...
another UPS mystery--good luck

eats packages

Deranged lunatic

I am in the same boat. Local is aware, we are going to act on it after my qualification. Just too risky to file before. A phone call is not enough to skip your place on a bid sheet. This fact may allow me to get back-dated into a regular driver position.

Dr.Brownz

Grieve until they fire you

Then get a lawyer and sue them until they give money

I'[m drunk, on vaca, didn't read your post but my advice should work

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Here it is a late signup for certain lists such as FT and 22.4. If you sign 6 months late from the original October posting then you get tacked to the end "dovetailed". HR is supposed to attempt to physically contact you for jobs if the cellphone does not work in WR, new language added to make that one crystal clear. After you pass your qualifying period you should totally file to get your seniority updated for missing months due to being skipped on a list.
If you were truly "skipped", wouldn't you be due more than just a "dovetailed" seniority date???