DRA will be the death of express

GROUNDIsAHugeSCAM

Ground drivers DR everything that does not require direct/indirect sign. This is common practice. Many ground drivers also keep packages in their own vehicle rather than return it and hurt service, especially in remote PSAs. Don't believe me? It is out there man.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Ground drivers DR everything that does not require direct/indirect sign. This is common practice. Many ground drivers also keep packages in their own vehicle rather than return it and hurt service, especially in remote PSAs. Don't believe me? It is out there man.
They were also releasing packages that required signatures too. Alcohol shipments, ammunition, computers etc.

!Retired!

I sent a package FedEx with Signature Required a long while back. It was released. Luckily (for the driver), I had no problems with the recipient. The driver was not a newbie, he/she was with the company 10+ years at the time.

I had a DSR for an apartment the other day. Customer left a note to leave it at the leasing office. I left a DT and wrote I couldn't do that with that particular package.

Every opco has couriers that will risk their job for a package. Don't ask me why. I get paid by the hour and it costs me nothing to reattempt it the next day.

CJinx

Many ground drivers also keep packages in their own vehicle rather than return it and hurt service, especially in remote PSAs. Don't believe me? It is out there man.
Good way to piss off whoever is responsible for VSA and/or code 85s. To say nothing of what it would look like getting caught stuffing packages in your personal car in the parking lot.
They were also releasing packages that required signatures too. Alcohol shipments, ammunition, computers etc.
Driver release of signature required packages hits the stations DQI and throws up red flags up for the entire district to see. Anything lower than 100% compliance will get the SM reamed on a conference call and that crapstorm will roll downhill on whoever is responsible.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Driver release of signature required packages hits the stations DQI and throws up red flags up for the entire district to see. Anything lower than 100% compliance will get the SM reamed on a conference call and that crapstorm will roll downhill on whoever is responsible.
Many Ground drivers will just sign the customers name for them. Happened to me once and all that happened to the driver was 20 lashes with a wet noodle.

mitchel

I sent a package FedEx with Signature Required a long while back. It was released. Luckily (for the driver), I had no problems with the recipient. The driver was not a newbie, he/she was with the company 10+ years at the time.

I had a DSR for an apartment the other day. Customer left a note to leave it at the leasing office. I left a DT and wrote I couldn't do that with that particular package.

Every opco has couriers that will risk their job for a package. Don't ask me why. I get paid by the hour and it costs me nothing to reattempt it the next day.
You can take a dsr to an apt office, this has been an option for a few years now.

TUT

If Amazon could sell everything, that would be the death of Express. Good thing the health care sector has no problem in spending top dollar for next day delivery across country. Perhaps that is angle you guys should play.... On one end your company is complaining about high cost of health care, but on the other end they service the health sector with high end shipping services and make bank doing so. Why isn't there some back scratching going on here?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If Amazon could sell everything, that would be the death of Express. Good thing the health care sector has no problem in spending top dollar for next day delivery across country. Perhaps that is angle you guys should play.... On one end your company is complaining about high cost of health care, but on the other end they service the health sector with high end shipping services and make bank doing so. Why isn't there some back scratching going on here?

Management is shifting everything possible over to Ground in order to recognize the higher profit margins that wage-slave labor provides. Logical moves that would benefit the Express division aren't being made as a result. Our health care is an entirely different matter, one in which the self-insured scam is being perpetrated upon employees. As our premiums rise and services decline, more of that money finds it's way into Fred's pocket.

CJinx

Many Ground drivers will just sign the customers name for them. Happened to me once and all that happened to the driver was 20 lashes with a wet noodle.
I sure hope not. All it takes is one consignee to file a complaint through customer service about a fraudulent signature and someone is in deep ****. All complaints that come in via customer service show up on district management's radar so individual stations cannot sweep this crap under the rug like they might if someone called the station directly.

Driver releasing a signature package is a competence issue
Forging a signature is an integrity issue

STFXG

You can't driver release a signature required package. The scanner won't let you.

Forging a signature will cause a termination of the contract.

FUFred

Thinks may have changed now, but back in Jan-Feb of 2013 you could do it. Of course this was only done when a Mgr or SM gave me the okay, I was just WAD. Enter the tracking number in manually, form id, then res rel, front door, side door,whatever. No double or triple, beep, worked all the time, 100% of the time.

StuffItFred

Thinks may have changed now, but back in Jan-Feb of 2013 you could do it. Of course this was only done when a Mgr or SM gave me the okay, I was just WAD. Enter the tracking number in manually, form id, then res rel, front door, side door,whatever. No double or triple, beep, worked all the time, 100% of the time.

I wouldn't do that unless I had the okay in WRITING from the worthless Mgr or SM. Because in the system it shows when you manually enter a tracking number versus scanning the label. And all it takes is a customer to call to get the ball rolling and next thing you know you are the sacrificial lamb. Mgr & Sr manager will deny it and you are hung!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I wouldn't do that unless I had the okay in WRITING from the worthless Mgr or SM. Because in the system it shows when you manually enter a tracking number versus scanning the label. And all it takes is a customer to call to get the ball rolling and next thing you know you are the sacrificial lamb. Mgr & Sr manager will deny it and you are hung!

Good advice. Never release anything DSR unless you clear instructions to do so from a dispatcher who sends an appropriate message with proper release code/number. I wouldn't do it on the instructions of a manager, because they are known to lie and then conveniently "forget" they told you to release the package. Taking matters into your own hands is always a recipe for disaster. WAD, with discretion and intelligence, because in this case, following verbal commands could cause a problem. Insist on it being in-writing, or via the Powerpad.

CJinx

I honestly wouldn't advise doing it even with a manager on board and permission granted in writing. It screams wrong and the paper trail just means that the manager is taking the fall with you.

whenIgetthere

I honestly wouldn't advise doing it even with a manager on board and permission granted in writing. It screams wrong and the paper trail just means that the manager is taking the fall with you.

If it's done correctly, dispatch or the tracer will give you the correct controlled release to do so. That is the only way I will do this, in writing via the manager, the tracer or in a message from dispatch.

CJinx

If it's done correctly, dispatch or the tracer will give you the correct controlled release to do so. That is the only way I will do this, in writing via the manager, the tracer or in a message from dispatch.
Must be exclusive to Express then; I've never heard of a controlled release on the Ground side. If there is a procedure and policy for it, sure go ahead.

StuffItFred

Good advice. Never release anything DSR unless you clear instructions to do so from a dispatcher who sends an appropriate message with proper release code/number. I wouldn't do it on the instructions of a manager, because they are known to lie and then conveniently "forget" they told you to release the package. Taking matters into your own hands is always a recipe for disaster. WAD, with discretion and intelligence, because in this case, following verbal commands could cause a problem. Insist on it being in-writing, or via the Powerpad.

And a perfect example goes like this:

5yr courier goes to deliver pkg and customer is not home. The pkg has DSR so he tags it and leaves. Later in his day he gets a message over the ppad to reattempt and leave at back door from CSA. Courier responds with pkg is DSR and cannot release properly without circumventing the ppad. Gets a message roughly 20mins later from station manager saying "ok to manually enter tracking number and release at back door. Hot hot item and valuable customer."
Courier reattempts and does as stated and took a picture of the message fom his manager with his cell phone. Upon his return to the station he finds out customer disputes delivery and manager claims the message was never sent by him/her. Terminated for bypassing the DSR feature the shipper wanted/paid for. Manager was signed onto a different route number than they normally do and denied sending the original approval/message. Said photograph of message shown during GFT process was deemed not worthy because "electronic devices" are not allowed. Say it can't happen......

True story

MAKAVELI

Must be exclusive to Express then; I've never heard of a controlled release on the Ground side. If there is a procedure and policy for it, sure go ahead.
Yes there is a procedure when the shipper and only the shipper authorizes to remove the signature requirement. Exception would be wine, controlled substances , guns and anything that cannot be released legally without a signature.