Driver canned for roll-away

filthpig

I used to do stuff like that. Well I never put peoples lives in danger but I use to do stuff that was mean. When I was a kid looking for a car to buy I would take it for a test drive with the seller and then I would drive it into an empty parking lot and get out and look at it some more and then quickly jump in lock the doors and drive the vehicle away and park it somewhere. Making the seller have to walk back home and then find a vehicle.
Moronic.

pkgdriver

The driver that I started this thread about got his job back after a 3 week suspension.
That said, our center manager (who I respect and trust) said in the PCM meeting (without ever mentioning the driver by name) that there are certain things which UPS fires you for no matter what. That's just the way it is. I understand this policy because some infractions are more serious and can have dire repercussions (such as a roll-away).
The reason some people get their job back and others don't has to do with the driver's reputation. If you're a good guy, not always "in the office" and do your job, you stand a better chance than the guy who calls in all the time, is on every report and doesn't give management the respect they deserve. It's the way the world works, and if you don't understand this then you're going to have a very difficult time.
And as for giving management "the respect they deserve" that also falls under the category of "the way things work". Whether I like it or not, these guys are my bosses and if I don't treat them respect I'm going to have a hard time.

Excellent post

diesel96

It's harder to get in a roll-away mishap where I work...everything is flat...JK
Seriously, a roll away will get you fired, so don't let your guard down. Just depends on your record and relationship is with UPS and how successful your BA does or does not lobby for you to get your job back.

upswrench

IT DON'T SEEM RIGHT BUT THE DRIVERS WHO LIE ABOUT SETTING BRAKE, PUTTING IN GEAR AND ROLL AWAY HAVE A MUCH BETTER CHANCE OF COMING BACK THAN THOSE WHO SIMPLY ADMIT THEY MADE A MISTAKE.....GO FIGURE

27 year supervisor telling you to lie and throw the mechanic under the bus!!!! THIS IS TYPICAL

U

UPSerette

Driver in our building... 3 year driver, had a roll away where he was in the rear of the vehicle, did not set the brake properly (admitted to) and it rolled into a storage shed causing major damage. This driver was on the road after a three day suspension. It's all in what your management sees fit. But then again, we are talking a scratch driver too.

browniehound

A roll-away is a serious matter and is always the fault of the driver.

But I'm going to take a jab at UPS here. Does the fact that were are driving equipment that our competitors junked over a decade ago factor into our safety picture (hello, anti-lock brakes) ? Seriously, I can't think of one reason why every UPS driver is not driving a low-step, automatic transmission, power-steering vehicle.

If our entire fleet consisted of these vehicles, UPS would see a reduction in roll-aways, shoulder injuries, knee injuries, and slips-and falls (from on-off vehicle). Just my opinion.

Brownie:peaceful:

D

Disgruntled

well u know i dont think he should be fired! alot of these package cars are very dangerous and should not be on road for multiple reasons!!! we have package cars in our bldg that have rejection stickers on it but they still persist on sending them out on road instead of rolling them over a cliff!!! the union should be able to get him his job back and if not then there is a problem with the union stewards!!! ARE TRUCKS ARE HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!

carlos804322

sometimes , it how you know and how good of a driver is with his boss,so you never know,what i would do is pray to god tell him to help you get you job back and make sure you ask with your heart becauce he see the heart inside not the outside,he said anything you ask in my name i will give you and that name is JESUS CHRIST.amen.

LiL"Comet"

Originally Posted by typicalunionslugs1
the driver should be canned for failure to follow the proper methods to prevent that from happenning, but somehow, the union slugs will get him his job back

Its magament comments like this that makes all management look heartless beasts!!!

Easy there:peaceful:, all management not like what you are saying I sometimes have to much heart involved that it then goes to them trying to take advantage of me. Have seen drvr my center have a roll away get his job back w/ couple weeks out of work no pay (etc.) its all, different scenerios, different punishments, and different outcomes hopefully its a learning experience for all parties involved

Braveheart

the driver should be canned for failure to follow the proper methods to prevent that from happenning, but somehow, the union slugs will get him his job back
So the next time you have an accident you will quit right. Because you are perfect right. People are human and will make mistakes. Like box or foot accidently bumps the stick shift and he did not know it was out of gear. Or like the guy we had that had a bad e-brake. Sure the company said the e-brake was fine. The funny thing is it had a new e-brake on the truck the next day.

Why is it ok to accidently back into or scrape a car or mail box and get a warning letter but if you do the same damage with a roll away it is a automatic termination.

It is not fair. The person should get suspended sure.

Braveheart

It would be so easy for anyone walking by a PC to put it in neutral and pop the ebrake off.
True, I had a fellow driver do it to me as a joke. Although he sat in it as it rolled down the hill stopping it in a muddy puddle. He had water gear on and waited in the cab and scared the crap out of me. Funny now, not then.

Braveheart

In my past experience, all roll-aways are subjected to an immediate termination. What happens after the termination is between the driver, BA and center manager.

As a full-time supervisor, I hate to see/hear comments like this. It is my responsibility to make my employees successful (proper training, tools/equipment, motivation, etc). In my experience (operations and on-road), 10% of the workforce is exceptional, 80% average and 10% under-performers.

M-
Would you say the same for managers?

Thanks for saying that 90% of us are at least average or better.

Braveheart

What kind of person just walks by a sitting package car and releases the handbrake?? I have a heard time believing there are people out there just saying to themselves "Hmmm there is an unmanned UPS truck sitting here with thousands of dollars of stuff in the back but I think I'll just mess with the hand brake instead". I'm not saying it doesn't happen but it boggles my mind there are people out there like that.
Ex wives boys. Ex wives. Oh and managers we helped get fired maybe.

Braveheart

A roll-away is a serious matter and is always the fault of the driver.

But I'm going to take a jab at UPS here. Does the fact that were are driving equipment that our competitors junked over a decade ago factor into our safety picture (hello, anti-lock brakes) ? Seriously, I can't think of one reason why every UPS driver is not driving a low-step, automatic transmission, power-steering vehicle.

If our entire fleet consisted of these vehicles, UPS would see a reduction in roll-aways, shoulder injuries, knee injuries, and slips-and falls (from on-off vehicle). Just my opinion.

Brownie:peaceful:
Great post!!!

Braveheart

Originally Posted by typicalunionslugs1

Its magament comments like this that makes all management look heartless beasts!!!

Easy there:peaceful:, all management not like what you are saying I sometimes have to much heart involved that it then goes to them trying to take advantage of me. Have seen drvr my center have a roll away get his job back w/ couple weeks out of work no pay (etc.) its all, different scenerios, different punishments, and different outcomes hopefully its a learning experience for all parties involved
We had a scratch driver have a rollaway get fired too. Took 2 months and witness statements to get his job back with no back pay. They said e-brake was fine. Funny thing was they replaced the perfectly working e-brake that night. Funny huh?

tieguy

Banned
Good god over9 we need to take anon's rights away so they can not bring old threads back up out of their archives graves.

roll aways are automatic terminations for everyone including management.

Most get their jobs back. If your roll away plowed through an elementary school and killed ten kids then you might as well start looking for a new job.

favoritism may play a part in some decisions but your overall work record will play a big part in the decision. I'm surprised no one brought that point up.

over9five

Staff member
Good god over9 we need to take anon's rights away so they can not bring old threads back up out of their archives graves.

quote]

I think it's funny when an old thread crawls forth from the crypt! You kinda remember it, sounds familiar, and then you look at the date. 2004?!?!?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

...roll aways are automatic terminations for everyone including management. Most get their jobs back...

...while some even get promoted to mgt. My on-car had a rollaway when he was a driver. E-brake wasn't fully engaged. Pkg car rolled across a 4 lane highway right in to a new car lot. I don't know how many cars we bought as this was before I was hired.

BTW--he is far and away the best sup in the bldg as he is the only one who understands what we go through out there on a daily basis as he has been there, done that. (I hate that saying.)

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
A driver in my center had a rollaway accident...during her preseniority period...and she still was given seniority.

She had another rollaway accident 3 months later....and still was not fired.

I will let you all draw your own conclusions about why management allowed this to occur. Suffice it to say that there may have been some "affirmative action" issues involved....lets just say that we had a new District Manager at that time who came to our building, noticed a distinct lack of employees there who looked like him, and made it clear that something neded to change.

This employee made it about 4 more years (and 3 more accidents) before suffering a career-ending injury. We are all grateful for her time here, because managements handling of her situation created a precedent that has effectively eliminated their ability to succesfully terminate anyone else for a rollaway.