Driver helper orientation pay???

Occupy_Pana

Ok I went to the orientation a couple of weeks ago and today I got a check in the mail that says I worked 20 hours when I havent even worked yet. Does anyone know what this is about?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Sounds like whoever did payroll screwed up and they will want most of it back. Helper training pay is normally for couple of hours or so and usually goes on the first check when you actually start working. And the first paycheck is issued the following week after you start.

AssistantSanta

It ends up to be about an hour.
5.00 hrs
- 2.00 hrs/mo x 2mo union dues (helpers only work early to mid nov until mid december, but pays 2 full months of union dues)

The deduction is 2hrs wage pretax * calendar months. So for helpers, if your orientation was less than 4hrs it will be more or less negative.

Southwestern

It ends up to be about an hour.
5.00 hrs
- 2.00 hrs/mo x 2mo union dues (helpers only work early to mid nov until mid december, but pays 2 full months of union dues)

The deduction is 2hrs wage pretax * calendar months. So for helpers, if your orientation was less than 4hrs it will be more or less negative.

Union-related deductions vary heavily by area. While some helpers won't see any deductions, most will be docked dues and some will pay initiation as well. Some people have reported success in receiving partial or total refunds at the conclusion of season by requesting it from their local.

That said, I've never heard of the formula you relayed. I find it surprising given that many helpers only work one month (Dec.) and others will quit in Nov. Not to mention many are used further in Jan. these days....