Driver Helper

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
If its anything in Il. like it is here, they don't make enough to pay for the gas to come to work. People hire on thinking they will work eight or more hours a day. Then they are told to drive 30 miles to meet a driver and work for 2 or 3 hours.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
If its anything in Il. like it is here, they don't make enough to pay for the gas to come to work. People hire on thinking they will work eight or more hours a day. Then they are told to drive 30 miles to meet a driver and work for 2 or 3 hours.

Harley Rider,
Thats almost exactly what my Helper told me today when I handed her that paycheck. $8.50 an hour, 3-4 hours a day right now. She is disappointed at the low pay and short hours, I don't know how long she will keep working. We have had a few quit already. :dissapointed:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
in chicago area it is 9.50

Its $11.76/hr in Denver. It depends on what center you work off of in Illinois the number of hours you'll get. For example. I worked as a helper off a center at ADDIL a couple years ago. I worked almost 30 hours in a week between training and helping 4 days. I didn't get anywhere near 30 in Denver until after our blizzards last year.

Anyone in the Pacific Northwest.....D*MN, you guys get a LOT of rain!!!! -Rocky

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have a preloader for a helper and, if I only need him for a few hours, he is able to meet another driver and help him/her for a few more hours. I don't worry that he won't show up and he works his butt off so I am lucky. He delivers my NDA while I start with the ground and then we meet after he is done to continue with the ground. I also let him know upfront that I have to put the helper times given to me by mgt into the DIAD but that I will take care of him when peak is over. It is definitely worth a few bucks out of my pocket.

leastbest

LeastBest
In our center last year we were told to keep our jumpers 1.9 or 2.9 or 3.9 hours. The .9 looked better on paper. I thought it was hilarious but the longer I work there I just learn to write it down and laugh.

toeknee2gx

Harley Rider,
Thats almost exactly what my Helper told me today when I handed her that paycheck. $8.50 an hour, 3-4 hours a day right now. She is disappointed at the low pay and short hours, I don't know how long she will keep working. We have had a few quit already. :dissapointed:

I never understood that...they know ahead of time what to expect and still get upset when the pay becomes reality. People have a hard time comprehending and they hear what they want..

ups79

Its because 2, 4, and 6 hour use of helpers cost your dispatch a greater percentage number than 1.9,3.9, and 5.9. Thus keeping that extra one tenth of a minute cost you a greater loss on your dispatch.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I never understood that...they know ahead of time what to expect and still get upset when the pay becomes reality. People have a hard time comprehending and they hear what they want..

When our P/T HR person does the interview, they are told they will work 40 hours a week. I have never worked a Helper 40 hours a week. I use them 3-4 hours a day at first, a week after Thanksgiving it will go up to maybe six hours a day. The Helpers feel like they are lied to, and they have a point to feel misled. The pay is ridiculous too for what they do. This is the second year I got a Helper in October. This year, she was issued only one uniform, thats another problem. I asked the Helper Coordinator the other day if he would wear the same clothes day after day.

toeknee2gx

When our P/T HR person does the interview, they are told they will work 40 hours a week. I have never worked a Helper 40 hours a week. I use them 3-4 hours a day at first, a week after Thanksgiving it will go up to maybe six hours a day. The Helpers feel like they are lied to, and they have a point to feel misled. The pay is ridiculous too for what they do. This is the second year I got a Helper in October. This year, she was issued only one uniform, thats another problem. I asked the Helper Coordinator the other day if he would wear the same clothes day after day.

if the pt HR person did say that, they need to be slapped....but like I said in the last sentence of my previous post,
People have a hard time comprehending and they hear what they want..
That applies to the applicant as well....Trust me I deal with it everyday....

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
I would driver help, but at 11.76 I am taking a 5 dollar/hr pay cut. So instead, I have double shifted for the last couple weeks. I grossed 1400 in three weeks as a ptimer. AHHAHA, pay up UPS.

HazMatMan

Its $11.76/hr in Denver. It depends on what center you work off of in Illinois the number of hours you'll get. For example. I worked as a helper off a center at ADDIL a couple years ago. I worked almost 30 hours in a week between training and helping 4 days. I didn't get anywhere near 30 in Denver until after our blizzards last year.

Anyone in the Pacific Northwest.....D*MN, you guys get a LOT of rain!!!! -Rocky

Only 8 dollars an hour in Metro New York!! Most expensive place to live and you get the least amount of pay!! Hey Rock, why such an odd pay rate 11.76????

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I would driver help, but at 11.76 I am taking a 5 dollar/hr pay cut. So instead, I have double shifted for the last couple weeks. I grossed 1400 in three weeks as a ptimer. AHHAHA, pay up UPS.

If you're making 16/hr as a part-timer, and work 40 hours in a week :

You're getting 16/hr 25 hours, then 15 hours OT (23/hr)

I think your fantasy math is a bit off :P

Phil800101

I believe the driver helper pay depends upon whether or not you are already a UPSer. In Local 710, you get 11.76 per hour to driver help if you're a UPSer, but if you're an outside hire I think you only make 9.50 an hour or so. I think the outside hires get really screwed, considering the short hours, low pay, and lack of overtime. However, it can be pretty lucrative for someone who's already a pter. I mean, as a preloader, anything over 5 hours is overtime pay, and when you hit more than 8 hours total for the day you get overtime pay on the driver help scale (well, that's how it is in 710 anyway, at least it was that way back when I worked in Urbana for peak of 2005). During peak, we usually work at least 6 hours in the am, and then driver helping nets you at least another 4-6 hours. So, I can make an hour of overtime pay in the am, two hours of regular driver help pay, and then another two-four hours of overtime driver help pay. Yeah, it really kicks your a** and is absolutely exhausting, but the money is nice. Still wish it was more though...

Last edited:

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
If you're making 16/hr as a part-timer, and work 40 hours in a week :

You're getting 16/hr 25 hours, then 15 hours OT (23/hr)

I think your fantasy math is a bit off :P

Math is not off. 760 for the week using your estimates. I didn't quite work a full 40.

So in three weeks I have made a little over 1400.00.

Anyone like to see my pay stubs?

VTBrown

Math is not off. 760 for the week using your estimates. I didn't quite work a full 40.

So in three weeks I have made a little over 1400.00.

Anyone like to see my pay stubs?

Want to see my stubs from Extreme Home Make Over? 6 days of work.

$3658.455 gross.