driver questions

H

hey

will you work over 8 hours a day year round, forever? or just at the begginging?

what type of stuff will get you fired?

any hot chicks on the routes?

is it worth it or should i try to go to college for accounting or something?

Brownnblue

This seems a little like the other post, but........

1) you will work over eight hours per day every day, usually over nine. Peak is hell.
2) stealing will get you fired, whether it be time or packages. Really bad accidents, major stuff like that.
3) there are nice looking women out there, but I'm happily married to one so I'll just let that one go.
4) if you have a chance to go and get a degree, especially in a field you enjoy, go for that, without question.

Being a UPS driver is for people with average intelligence and limited education or training. It's hard work and long hours for a wage that'll support a family within a working class standard of living. You can/will be fired for what you would be fired for anywhere else. You won't really have that much time to check out "hot chicks" unless they walk right by you. I guess that improves things for a few short moments, but that's no reason to forego a better career. When you said, "try to go to college", I got the impression higher education is not for you. If I'm correct, then take my advice as someone who made poor career decisions: Learn a skill or trade. Whether it be plumbing, HVAC, carpentry or whatever. You will have a much more lucrative career and enjoy a lot less stress with a whole lot more freedom in your life.

Everyone I meet that asks about being a package car driver has the opposite picture in their head of what it's all about. It's not a cool job that has you cruising around looking at chicks all day and not having to deal with a boss. I work 9 to 10 hours a day and come home exhausted every night. My back and knees hurt, I have pain in my wrists and hands all the time, and I have nothing to fall back on if I got seriously injured or fired. That is the reality of most others who do what I do for a living.

mittam

Being a UPS driver is for people with average intelligence and limited education or training. It's hard work and long hours for a wage that'll support a family within a working class standard of living. You can/will be fired for what you would be fired for anywhere else. You won't really have that much time to check out "hot chicks" unless they walk right by you. I guess that improves things for a few short moments, but that's no reason to forego a better career. When you said, "try to go to college", I got the impression higher education is not for you. If I'm correct, then take my advice as someone who made poor career decisions: Learn a skill or trade. Whether it be plumbing, HVAC, carpentry or whatever. You will have a much more lucrative career and enjoy a lot less stress with a whole lot more freedom in your life.

Everyone I meet that asks about being a package car driver has the opposite picture in their head of what it's all about. It's not a cool job that has you cruising around looking at chicks all day and not having to deal with a boss. I work 9 to 10 hours a day and come home exhausted every night. My back and knees hurt, I have pain in my wrists and hands all the time, and I have nothing to fall back on if I got seriously injured or fired. That is the reality of most others who do what I do for a living.

Average intelligence? you must not be around too many drivers! We have a lot with college degrees that they cannot get the pay they ought to be able and earn. UPS pays extremely well, yes the hours are very long and the job is hard , but where can you get the wages and benifits we currently earn? OUtside of that I agree with everything you said, especially the hours and the pain. Sometimes I would like to see that "old pro" athlete retiring at 35 step in and do our jobs, it would be interesting!!

over9five

Staff member
"limited education or training"

I actually was a heart surgeon, but I could not get paid what I believed I was worth, so I came to UPS.

hoser

Industrial Slob

Not having to deal with a boss? As a driver, you deal with your boss for 20 mins a day, and you're on your own for the rest. As a single guy, it's a great lifestyle (time flys by) and with good pay.

satellitedriver

Average intelligence? you must not be around too many drivers! We have a lot with college degrees that they cannot get the pay they ought to be able and earn. UPS pays extremely well, yes the hours are very long and the job is hard , but where can you get the wages and benifits we currently earn? OUtside of that I agree with everything you said, especially the hours and the pain. Sometimes I would like to see that "old pro" athlete retiring at 35 step in and do our jobs, it would be interesting!!

I "stepped in" at 33 and have been a driver for 20 years.Lots of hours, yes. Pain, no. The pay has been great from day one. I started with nothing and have been able to pay for 20 acres, a nice brick home and I am debt free. Also, $200,000.00 in my 401k.Working at UPS made all this possible. We are in the upper 10% of wage earners in America. Many people are educated over their intelligence level.

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I "stepped in" at 33 and have been a driver for 20 years.Lots of hours, yes. Pain, no. The pay has been great from day one. I started with nothing and have been able to pay for 20 acres, a nice brick home and I am debt free. Also, $200,000.00 in my 401k.Working at UPS made all this possible. We are in the upper 10% of wage earners in America. Many people are educated over their intelligence level.

where are you from my friend? i wish i can move to some place where the housing is cheaper. here in california you pay 300,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment.:sad:

satellitedriver

where are you from my friend? i wish i can move to some place where the housing is cheaper. here in california you pay 300,000 for a 1 bedroom apartment.:sad:

Texas. I live 20 miles from a town that has a population 6,500 and 52 miles from my center. Most people do not want to make the trade off between paying for something and building it from scratch.

breadbooze

I have a "trade" (machinist/engine builder) and a BE in mechanical engineering, yet I choose to drive everyday, for reasons counter to what you stated. Stress, on the driver's level is very low compared to the stress of previous jobs (2nd engineer on a ship, 3-5 months out on sea twice a year, how about that?). The center team doesnt give two ****s about you as long as you do your job right and not give them a reason to doubt you. Working class standard of living? perhaps if you are the only bread winner in your household. No hot chicks? Cover a different route.

then again, I am probably in the minority of drivers as I enjoy going to work everyday.