Driver Seniority vs PT Seniority

PTPunchingBag

I have more seniority than like 5 drivers in my hub. I’ve heard many things such as if you go from PT to driver, you’re back to bottom guy, but I’ve also heard if you go from PT to Driver, you’ll have more seniority than drivers who started after you so you can bounce them off their routes or get one before they do. Which one is the real one or is it based on your local?

barnyard

KTM rider
Contract covers your situation very clearly. Your PT seniority does not follow you to a FT classification. You will go to the bottom of the seniority list. You will have more vacation time, but that is it.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have more seniority than like 5 drivers in my hub. I’ve heard many things such as if you go from PT to driver, you’re back to bottom guy, but I’ve also heard if you go from PT to Driver, you’ll have more seniority than drivers who started after you so you can bounce them off their routes or get one before they do. Which one is the real one or is it based on your local?
We go to the bottom of new center seniority.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
There is such thing as "building seniority" but it only really applies to some form of catastrophic layoff event where someone with 2 years PT seniority could outlive a rookie driver with 1 year FT seniority by a series of bumps.

The union of course would never allow the company to layoff so many FT employees that this actually becomes a problem for anybody that was not recently hired off the streets.

Last edited:

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I’ve also heard if you go from PT to Driver, you’ll have more seniority than drivers who started after you so you can bounce them off their routes or get one before they do.
tenor (3).gif

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Going to be funny when you get to pick 6 weeks of vacation, but the only thing left is February and October.

^^This. I waited 14 years to become a driver, while others with less seniority took the plunge much sooner. Your building seniority remains the same, but your full time seniority starts all over. If you know you eventually want to drive, do it as soon as you can. For me I was going to community college and didn't plan on making UPS my career and passed on the opportunity. I messed around too much in college and ended up falling back on UPS as a career. Truth be told I was lucky to have such a fantastic option. But still, all those other guys that I had more building seniority than? They were way higher up on the full time seniority list by the time I became a driver.

I found myself going through the same issues that the poster above mentions. A lot of vacation weeks, but crappy options to choose from at first. July and August is usually all blacked out in your first years. The selections get better year after year though. For me seven years in there were only six weeks blacked out for this year's vacation selection, including the coveted July 4th and Thanksgiving weeks.

iruhnman630

On my building-wide full-time seniority list, there are about 15-20 people, drivers and combo jobs, ahead of me who started after me.

That's how it works.

PT Car Washer

That’s one person’s opinion. If your ambition is to make a lot of money then ups is a decent place to do that.
If all you want to do is make a lot of money UPS is the place to do it. Until you get injured or have too many accidents. Or want a life away from work. I work with PT air drivers who normally work 10 to 13 hours a day at top driver rate.