Driver told he can't cover a route.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I'm not overly fond of the guys who cover for me but bottom line is it the company's route, the company's truck and I'm not working that day so its not my business.

onestoptogo

I'm not overly fond of the guys who cover for me but bottom line is it the company's route, the company's truck and I'm not working that day so its not my business.
Exactly. It is the company's route and just because you own the bid for it does not mean you can dictate who runs it when you are off. We have had drivers not want runner/gunners doing their bid route because they were afraid they would make them look bad. I can care less who does my route because I just run it by the methods and if management ever questions my performance they are welcome to come ride with me. I do it the same way every day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I told him to call our BA. If he will do it I don't know.

The problem I'm seeing is that this will cause more problems later if it is not handled correctly. I told the steward he shouldn't take one drivers side over the other. He should have given Driver A the info he needed instead of just saying let it go.

Where does it stop? If this is not handled other drivers may start forbidding other drivers to do their route while on vacation.

Would he just file on seniority?
If you guys bid vacation cover weekly then your steward is wrong. We bid vacation cover weekly here and the drivers who are on vacation have zero input on who will cover their route. The bids are posted on Thursday prior and the senior driver who signs the bid list gets that route for the week. The cover driver who's getting pushed around should absolutely go over the steward's head to the BA. And yes he should file on seniority, he'll win that grievance it's a slam dunk.

542thruNthru

There are driver I don't want to cover my route. They end up not covering my route. Survival of the fitest.

That shocks me lead (comes out as anonymous that's weird). I never thought I'd hear that from you. We are not talking about a man that cuts corners or causes DFUs.

His relationship with a driver in my eyes should not stop him from being able to do the man's route. If you disagree with that I'm kinda shocked. His seniority should be respected as much as yours. Just because this guy has a problem with him shouldn't affect his job.

A good shop steward (like I believe you are) should represent all drivers equally and make sure management does the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'm on vacation next week. Why would I give a crap who runs my route?

Other than making sure they take care of my customers, I agree that it doesn't matter who runs my area when I am off for a day or on vacation.

Unless Driver A is doing something to sabotage the route Driver B has no say in who can or cannot cover his route while he is on vacation.

When I was a cover driver there were senior guys who didn't want me covering their routes as I made them look bad.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Runner and gunner cover drivers we have all dealt with I'm wondering why he doesn't want him to cover his route.....what is his problem with the cover driver........my only problem with guys covering my route is them being slobs in my truck and me coming back to a pile of garbage(lunch snacks and drinks on the floor of cab

That shocks me lead (comes out as anonymous that's weird). I never thought I'd hear that from you. We are not talking about a man that cuts corners or causes DFUs.

His relationship with a driver in my eyes should not stop him from being able to do the man's route. If you disagree with that I'm kinda shocked. His seniority should be respected as much as yours. Just because this guy has a problem with him shouldn't affect his job.

A good shop steward (like I believe you are) should represent all drivers equally and make sure management does the same.
Well I just so happens that one of my good customers has a very attractive 17 year old daughter. The said driver hit on this underage girl. She felt very very very uncomfortable. I was not there obviously as I was off. The father was mad the daughter was very very very uncomfortable. I had to diffuse the situation. I do don't want the driver to driver to diet taken out of service but the customer didn't want him back out there. The daughter reported it on the ups Facebook page. The freight didn't get fired he just don't do my route anymore. I handled the best I could. She looks like she's at least 22. He was very aggressive about her going out with him. Guys a tool. I have a daughter who is going to look like her someday and it scares me very very much. I think I handled it the best I can. You don't like it? You aren't a member of my local so it is what it is.

So you go to the center manager and say I dont want so and so to be on my route??? Or tell ft sup that??? That does not sound like you bro. Are you serious???
I explained it in another post. It wasn't my decision. When you try and date underage girls ups makes the decision to not put the cover driver back on the route. My route or your or anybodies. There was more to the story. People are very trigger happy to jump down someone's throat here.

For the record I don't care who blows up my 65 stop route. It will still take ME somewhere between 10:5 hours and 11:5. If the cover drivers pusses off every customer I just apologize and move on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I explained it in another post. It wasn't my decision. When you try and date underage girls ups makes the decision to not put the cover driver back on the route. My route or your or anybodies. There was more to the story. People are very trigger happy to jump down someone's throat here.

At first you were implying that it was your call that he not cover your route when obviously the company had no choice but to not have him cover the route. While you may have brought the situation to their attention you have very little to do with the outcome.

At first you were implying that it was your call that he not cover your route when obviously the company had no choice but to not have him cover the route. While you may have brought the situation to their attention you have very little to do with the outcome.
Actually I had nothing to do with it. She contacted ups through Facebook. I had to explain for him to ups and the customer. I get along good with the customer and was able to smogs it over I told the member she was 17 and to not put himself in a situation. If she wanted to go all the way with it or her father it could have been bad. After a situation like this I'd like to never see this driver on this route again. It gives ups a bad name. The customer knowing I'm Involved with the union gives unions a bad name. It's a bad situation all the way around. My daughter is 11 she's beautiful and I know I'm going to be in a situation like this somewhere down the road. Her growing up scares me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Actually I had nothing to do with it. She contacted ups through Facebook. I had to explain for him to ups and the customer. I get along good with the customer and was able to smogs it over I told the member she was 17 and to not put himself in a situation. If she wanted to go all the way with it or her father it could have been bad. After a situation like this I'd like to never see this driver on this route again. It gives ups a bad name. The customer knowing I'm Involved with the union gives unions a bad name. It's a bad situation all the way around. My daughter is 11 she's beautiful and I know I'm going to be in a situation like this somewhere down the road. Her growing up scares me.

Unions have a bad name all on their own.

image.png
Unions have a bad name all on their own.
Unions are coming back.