Driver Waits

If you work at a center that has relatively short waits (less than 5 years) to become drivers would you mind posting how long it is and where you are? I am really considering moving from my center once I have my year in, I realize that you lose your seniority, but better to do it now while im young when don't really have any seniority. Plus I can't imagine staying in Arkansas (especially if i gotta work in a hot package car) til im 50+. Thanks!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Plus I can't imagine staying in Arkansas (especially if i gotta work in a hot package car) til im 50+. Thanks!

The places you're looking at as far as ability to transfer are probably in those hotter climate regions because they are 'growth regions.' Denver's wait time to go driving is 6 months to 1 year. -Rocky

The places you're looking at as far as ability to transfer are probably in those hotter climate regions because they are 'growth regions.' Denver's wait time to go driving is 6 months to 1 year. -Rocky

Are you implying that Denver is hot?:lol: I used to live in Durango and even at its hottest I never compailed. 6 months to a year? That sounds too good to be true, what do they do to the drivers over there? Thanks for the info!

Maybe I misunderstood you, is it just hard to get a transfer to Denver because it is not a "growth" area? If I wanted to get on driving over there, would it be easier just to quit here after a year and apply for a job in Denver or would showing them a letter of acceptence to a community college be enough?

A

Anonymousupser

right now the lenexa, ks hub is hiring people with less than 2 years of seniority for full time driving jobs

Not far from you...
About a month ago... 4 drivers came to us from off the street... no UPS experience at all. Don't you think the PT Sups who have been waiting to drive were a little upset?

kingOFchester

Not far from you...
About a month ago... 4 drivers came to us from off the street... no UPS experience at all. Don't you think the PT Sups who have been waiting to drive were a little upset?
4 drivers.....that means they had to hire about 24 from the part timers...right? i understand sups are considered "off the street". Come on tell me where you are or PM me. I would like to know where in the philly area is the best place to be to get a driving gig. I plan on staying where I am but have a friend who wants to go driving. thanks

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Are you implying that Denver is hot?:lol: I used to live in Durango and even at its hottest I never compailed. 6 months to a year? That sounds too good to be true, what do they do to the drivers over there? Thanks for the info!

No, Denver isn't hot. H*ll, its a DRY heat. I can deal with the heat but the humidity is a different story! As to the timeline...yeah, that's right 6 mos to a year. I knew a guy that had been with UPS about 9 months and went driving. I saw him zooming back into the hub a couple week ago. We exchanged waves. I don't know what they do to drivers. All I know is they need 'em. When was the last time you were in metro Denver? There are a couple 'high growth' regions that, just three years ago, were considered 'the boondocks.' -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Maybe I misunderstood you, is it just hard to get a transfer to Denver because it is not a "growth" area? If I wanted to get on driving over there, would it be easier just to quit here after a year and apply for a job in Denver or would showing them a letter of acceptence to a community college be enough?

*** are you talking about, Jack? Denver is EXPLODING!!! I'm not sure we're keeping pace with some of the Sunbelt cities--Atlanta, Houston, etc--but we're doing pretty well. As to driving...are you already a full-time driver?? If so, you're going to all but have to write off the transfer option. Ask Fredly00. He tried to transfer OUT of the region but they wouldn't let him. He quit. If you are just going for a straight-out part-time transfer, I say GO for it! I met a guy on our Twilight Sort that transferred from the Upper Midwest a couple years ago. I think he's still with UPS for the benefits since he graduated from school a year or so ago. If you've never seen our Commerce City Hub, it has 8 centers serving metro Denver--all the way west to Broomfield, the east includes all of Aurora and south to the Denver Tech Center. I'm not certain how far north this hub serves since we have a center in Longmont. Let me know if you have more questions, bud. There are a few other posters in Denver metro that might have answers if I don't. -Rocky

705red

Browncafe Steward
May heaven have mercy on UPS this Peak. This could be a mean Peak--inside and delivery! -Rocky
Especially since ups does not deduct our hour lunch from us anymore. There will be alot of drivers out of hours by friday here in chicago come peak.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Especially since ups does not deduct our hour lunch from us anymore. There will be alot of drivers out of hours by friday here in chicago come peak.

It'll be the same way here in Denver. I'm not seeing as many drivers back in the hub by 4:30 like I was. The inside of our Denver hub is going to DIE this Peak because of a lack of staffing. We have a hard enough time right NOW! -Rocky

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
RED
How do you mean they don't deduct your lunch anymore?

Im in Connecticut, and we're on the clock for 9 hours to get paid 8
So it would be foolish not to take your lunch.
Even if you skip your lunch because you have somewhere to be, you get in trouble if you dont put an hour lunch in the diad (because of the lawsuit)

Is that a supplement to the contract out there ?