Driver with bad knees.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'll get blasted for this, but I don't care. Walk on the grass whenever you can- the softer surfaces have more give and are easier on the knees. Your boot soles will last longer as well.

Yep! 30+ years running rural routes with lots of grass to walk on, and I'm still pretty pain-free.

Now, the year I spent inside on the concrete floors!:angry:

Rider

I used to be a runner. Thought I was indestructible. One knee surgery later, I use my handrail. Turns out I had time for that after all. I always have to learn the hard way it seems.

MrHankie

Keep calm and carry on
After 21 years my knees are shot, 2 surgeries on left and 1 on right- the last surgery the doc said my next will be a knee replacement. So here is what keeps me from pain and inflammation: forget "a brisk pace", just walk. Set a weight limit on packages you exit vehicle with in your hands- if it's heavy set it down, exit, then lift the package.When you exit the vehicle be careful not to step out and turn in one movement, it tears up your cartilage. Same goes for getting out of seat to enter bulkhead door, rise and then turn- don't make it one motion. ALWAYS use 3 points of contact entering and exiting vehicle, if you use 3 points now you won't have to use 4 when you are older. Finally RICESA- Rest, Ice (15 mins on 15 off at night), Compression (brace or sleeve), Elevation (while icing is what I do), Stretching (leg muscles) and Anti-inflammatory meds. Hope this helps and good luck, oh and work smarter not harder.