Drivers, how do you sort your car/next day airs?

HavenoEDD

I feel as if I've failed because when I was with the instructor he had such high hopes for me on my first day. I'm actively looking over my route on maps right now and feel like such an idiot letting the diad guide me instead of just hitting airs and bulk first. I wanted to be cautious so I let the diad hold my hand and freaked out when I couldn't find :censored2:.
I was talked up and let my supervisor and his manager down. I didn't even mention the talk the supervisor had with me, because I came back at 7 instead of 5. He was going to rip me a new one but saw how distressed I was and took the blow. I had to dirt like 12 business stops because they were closed by the time I got to them. 12 stops averaging 4-8 packages. That's almost 30 packages not counting the pickups I still had left on the truck when I got back to the hub. I know it happens to everyone but I can't make that same mistake again. I can't. I felt embarrassed when I opened up the back of my car when I came back. I feel even more like a :censored2: because the projected stops for that day were only 62 deliveries with 32 pickups. Half of those pickups aren't smart pickups so it's a gamble if they have :censored2: or not, but I had a relatively light day and still managed to :censored2: it up.
I hate this so much. Sups playing the game with the new drivers who don’t know any better because of the lack of experience. See these guys get their hopes up only to be strung along and thrown out or have an accident and get tossed.
Young pups don’t know what to think, run and bad things happen.
Kid, listen to the advice here and don’t take things to heart if things go wrong. Ask the drivers that do the route in your center. It’s a tough job and you don’t need the additional stress feeling bad when there’s absolutely no need for it. You shouldn’t be forced to push and make numbers that put your safety at risk.

buttere

/title
Rookie Driver here, I recently got done with my driver training and had the opportunity to run my route by myself. Needless to say without my supervisor with me, I got overwhelmed and it didn't go well. My route is fairly industrial heavy, a lot of bulk stops and backing up to docks with pickups. I know how the car is laid out, 1-8ks. My loader doesn't, considering he frequently loads stuff in the wrong area and buries important packages like next day airs under stuff. I've made a complaint and will be following it up on Tuesday.
When my supervisor was with me, he commented on the loader issue as well and told me not to worry about it, despite that he was a beast at sorting and putting things where they needed to be. Without him there I felt lost and overwhelmed. I spent so long looking for packages digging through the back of my truck, wasting time in the process.

My route started with the next day airs, followed by business deliveries which all needed to be done by 2pmct because most of them open at 6 in the morning, so naturally they close early. Leaving at 9amct that leaves me about 4 hours to get those done, the next day airs done, and the pickups done as well before they all close, and then finishing out with residentials.

I guess my main concern is not knowing what to tackle what when I'm front loaded with bulk stops and next day airs. It doesn't help when I go deliver I'm also picking up if they have it early, up to 12 packages at a time that I'm forced to lob into the back of the car because I simply don't have enough room. The new DIAD doesn't help, because when I sort by commit time and go to the stops that are the closest with commits it doesn't take into account the normal deliveries that I will eventually have to come back to and complete later.

Any experienced drivers been in this situation before, any tips would be appreci

/title
Rookie Driver here, I recently got done with my driver training and had the opportunity to run my route by myself. Needless to say without my supervisor with me, I got overwhelmed and it didn't go well. My route is fairly industrial heavy, a lot of bulk stops and backing up to docks with pickups. I know how the car is laid out, 1-8ks. My loader doesn't, considering he frequently loads stuff in the wrong area and buries important packages like next day airs under stuff. I've made a complaint and will be following it up on Tuesday.
When my supervisor was with me, he commented on the loader issue as well and told me not to worry about it, despite that he was a beast at sorting and putting things where they needed to be. Without him there I felt lost and overwhelmed. I spent so long looking for packages digging through the back of my truck, wasting time in the process.

My route started with the next day airs, followed by business deliveries which all needed to be done by 2pmct because most of them open at 6 in the morning, so naturally they close early. Leaving at 9amct that leaves me about 4 hours to get those done, the next day airs done, and the pickups done as well before they all close, and then finishing out with residentials.

I guess my main concern is not knowing what to tackle what when I'm front loaded with bulk stops and next day airs. It doesn't help when I go deliver I'm also picking up if they have it early, up to 12 packages at a time that I'm forced to lob into the back of the car because I simply don't have enough room. The new DIAD doesn't help, because when I sort by commit time and go to the stops that are the closest with commits it doesn't take into account the normal deliveries that I will eventually have to come back to and complete later.

Any experienced drivers been in this situation before, any tips would be appreciated.
I would try talking to the driver(s) that is familiar with that route and ask how they normally do things. It may also be helpful to not pick up many packages early, especially if you have to stop back by later in the day anyway. Focus on emptying the truck first, then do your pickups.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Routes vary. Area knowledge is important overall at first. The faster you learn the area of your route to faster you’ll get. Business deliveries always take the longest so use your time in residentials to try and make up for it. Come in early to sort your truck by hin order so when you look for something of a specific hin you’ll be able to find it quicker. Keeps you from having misloads and not being able to find important air too. Think about what stops are dock deliveries so you can separate them off the shelves if it’s heavy bulk and put it in the middle of the truck stacked together and get it off with ease. Reorganize on your lunch to push everything forward and make enough room for pickups.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
/title

Any experienced drivers been in this situation before, any tips would be appreciated.
The simple answer is your sup massaged your car load that day and/or it's their favorite training route and happens to know the size and shape of what gets delivered where + two people were searching so items naturally were found faster than with one.

Actual improvements? well you should first construct a reasonable "standard path" that ideally loops to deliver air, bulky and easy-to-find items first. then loops again for ground volume prior to commit and then maybe one final loop for remaining residentials.

Last edited:

Zowert

To back Bastiatia’s advice and add my own, get that truck cleared out. After you run air hit the bulk stops. If you have irregs in your way deliver those before the bulk stops if you can. Having the floor clear to move freely around the truck will help. Once you get all your commercial stops off, go through and sort all your residential pieces by address. You might feel like this is a waste of time but you’ll make up for it and if you’re quick on your feet you’ll get ahead.

Ask if you can start early, if preload is trash at your center they might let you. Spend that time sorting and loading your truck. Knowing where everything is before you even leave the building will give you a huge advantage.

Once you get through your 30 forget everything I just told you and run routes in trace. You’ll never get in trouble if you follow Orion.

ToteHoarder

See if you can work with dispatch to get all your bulk to the back shelves and middle floors. Get all your businesses to the 1k-4k shelves and front door floors and residential stuff on top shelves in the back.

Get rid of everything that’s in your way first if you can and give yourself some space to work and think. I don’t know about everybody else, but when my floor is clear my mind is clear.

If too much stuff is difficult to find and your load is completely screwed up stop what you’re doing and line up every single package in the back of your truck. It may take a while, but it’s better than spending 3-5 minutes at each stop looking for a package.

Also try and drive smoothly so your packages don’t fly off your shelves and all over the floor.