Drivers are Responsible for Everything Helper Does?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What's the purpose of this thread?? Delete...

The purpose would be discussion of the topic on hand.

There are those drivers, such as bubblehead, who feel that the helper works alone and any concerns/complaints/DFU's caused by the helper are his/her fault.

There are those drivers, such as myself, who feel that they are 100% responsible for every aspect of the helper's job.

I have had one Peak DFU thus far. It was sheeted in the helper DIAD. The consignee claimed to be missing a pair of boots; however, the delivery was actually 3 large packages full of personal stuff for a college apartment. There was no separate package that contained only a pair of boots. I recalled the delivery and completed the DFU as positive even though the consignee was back home on break. The OMS then followed up with the consignee who confirmed receipt of 3 packages. The funny part is that the consignee did not claim non-receipt of all 3 packages but just for a pair of boots. Sounds like Mommy or Daddy forgot to pack them and Junior was trying to get us to buy him a new pair.

The point I was trying to make is that even though the delivery was sheeted in the helper's DIAD we actually made the delivery together. There is no way that I would try to put this on him.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yes we are ultimately responsible for the actions of our helpers. I had to constantly remind my helper where to leave packages and how to deal with customers. I told my helper that his actions on the route not only reflected him but also reflected on me.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I take a page out of management's book when it comes to helpers. It's managements job to inform them of thier responsibilities concerning safety and instructions on delivery. If they choose not to follow those instructions it's not my problem, it's managements.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I take a page out of management's book when it comes to helpers. It's managements job to inform them of thier responsibilities concerning safety and instructions on delivery. If they choose not to follow those instructions it's not my problem, it's managements.

This. Non-management employees cannot direct the workforce. It's pretty cut and dry.

Rubber Puckies

I would say you are responsible to an extent, but not 100%. If I had to baby them all the way through, which some helpers you need to, I would be better off to do the route w/o him. It's just not feasible to monitor every action. Seatbelts, 3 points of contact, and other things I can stress to them, and make sure they are going up the correct driveway. Seeing that they placed it by the correct door and sheeted it properly every stop is a burden and would make the helper irrelevant.

Package_Donkey14

milk was a bad choice
I'm pretty sure this thread came from a response to my original thread about a miss delivered package by my helper. Here's an update... I was asked today by my management team why I had no information on the delivery. I simply said I was in the truck digging out the next few stops while my helper delivered the 3 nearby stops in the subdivision we were in. They told me I should have been watching the helpers every move...So I would have to agree with Rubber Puckies. If my job is to watch the helpers every move,then whats the point of having a helper? All this non sense over a missing T-shirt..

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
That doesn't mean you can watch him every moment. They should provide more than 10 minutes of orientation.

This is another beef I have with helpers. Management has the audacity to tell me it's my responsibility to train them, yet my file is chock full of imperfect OJS reports. The day I can demonstrate to management that I can do this job right is the day I'll train a helper.